minimum wage hikes can destroy small business

zoo22

One thing I don't agree w/ O'Reilly on is minimum wage.

Heck, I am not even sure I believe in a federal minimum wage at all, or any minimum wage.

Even so, I suppose if there were no law about minimum wage, an employer could pay someone.. $2 an hour (?) and I do know of a business that was paying exactly that, even just 10 yrs ago... It was a waitress job and they figured there would be tips to increase the "wages" but the waiters were not getting good tips, at least not consistently. So... yeh, $2 is ridiculous

But then again, waiters/waitresses didn't stick around. The employers who pay more will always get the better employees, the ones who will WANT to stick around and do a good job b/c they are getting paid well. Many companies (surprise, surprise) understand this and offer good wages and benefits (pay more than min. wage) so employees will stay, and they won't have to deal with high turnover/training new hires.. which things are costly to business.

That was the ONLY restaurant I have ever heard of that had such a ridiculously low wage... and again, no one ever stayed there long.

So anyway, if there is going to be something like a minimum wage, it should be set by the states, not the federal gov. But again, I wonder if we should even have one...

Most employers are not stupid enough to pay people $2/hr. Eventually, the employer will get tired of

• being short on help,
  • having workers who don't want to work,
  • having workers who call in sick b/c they are looking for a better job...

++

The Federal minimum wage for tipped workers is $2.13 per hour. If a worker receives $30 in tips per month, that means they're a tipped worker.

Tipped workers are more than twice as likely to fall under the poverty line than other workers.

You should consider looking into local community education programs.

Also, why is it that you, like all Fox News watchers, hate panda bears so much? It doesn't seem trustworthy to hate panda bears.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
a majority of those earning min. wage are 18-24. Another good % of them are slightly older. McDonald's jobs are usually taken by teens and young adults, most of whom do NOT have a family to support. If there are no low paying jobs, there is no way for an unskilled, immature (age wise) person to get his foot in the door. A company will take short cuts to keep a higher profit, which means LAYING off workers and/or reducing their hours. True, the CEOs can usually stand to lose a few thousand dollars off their pay in order to offer better pay for the lowlier workers, so called. But CEO have to go to COLLEGE (usually) to b a CEO. It stands to reason that those who go to college should be paid more than those who have no education... unless.. well, there are all kinds of exceptions (people who WORK hard to get ahead as opposed to studying hard).

So? At one time a slight majority thought murdering the unborn was OK. It is still top high, the % of those who believe in abortion... 1% is too high..

Repeat: minimum wage standards are NOT abortion.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The bottom line is that min wage causes costs to increase. It does so artificially, too. Thus, businesses must respond with less workers and reduced bets on entry level workers.

Rather, the better idea is to let people be free, in general, to form contracts as they see fit. Any other proposal is immoral.

rexlunae

oh, I forgot my main point, how min. wage hikes can destroy small business. Well, it goes w/o saying that if an employer has to pay employees $10 an hour when he started his business paying people $7, he may end up going out of business.

Restaurants operate at a low profit margin, usually. The food service business is labor intensive and of course we all know how high food prices are...

so some business will definitely go out of business if they are forced (key word here) to pay wages they cannot afford to pay

+++

A business that only gets by by underpaying its workers is no business at all. It can't be making anyone much money if it can't afford to pay everyone who works there at least $10/hr.

republicanchick

The Federal minimum wage for tipped workers is $2.13 per hour. If a worker receives $30 in tips per month, that means they're a tipped worker.

Tipped workers are more than twice as likely to fall under the poverty line than other workers.

You should consider looking into local community education programs.

Also, why is it that you, like all Fox News watchers, hate panda bears so much? It doesn't seem trustworthy to hate panda bears.

didn't know I hate pandas...?

republicanchick

The bottom line is that min wage causes costs to increase. It does so artificially, too. Thus, businesses must respond with less workers and reduced bets on entry level workers.

Rather, the better idea is to let people be free, in general, to form contracts as they see fit. Any other proposal is immoral.

yeh, that's the most important thing: freedom. We are sick of the gov telling us what to do, how to do it, when to do it... and calling us amoral and stupid and "the unwashed" and etc... if we don't agree w/ their lib agenda..

Moron City...

___

Mark SeaSigh

BANNED
Banned
Rexlunae;

That's anonymous Corny Nonsense!

If the Minimum Wage Increases, the Government just gets .50/h from practically Everybody; that's why they want it done, Money.

If the Minimum Wage increases, all the Products will Increase in price along with it.

Of Course; I wouldn't expect an atheist to be able to understand simple "Economics", if she can't understand the Implications of the existence of a "Fine-Tuned" Universe: how can I expect them to understand how "Money Works"?

=M=

A Minimum Wage Increase will Make it Harder for Small Businesses to function; If you think an Increase of Minimum wage is going to "Help" this Economy, you are an Unthinking Moron, that cannot learn from History.

(Obama Llama?)

Christian Liberty

The minimum wage has been raised multiple times over the years and has yet to "destroy" small business. As far as your assertion that business wouldn't pay lower wages...why do you think we have a minimum wage? Because business were paying lower wages.

I agree with abolishing the minimum wage...in favor of a living waging.

I agree with a maximum wage law.

Biblical support for government control of the economy?

Repeat: minimum wage standards are NOT abortion.

True, but its still an incorrect use of the sword. Unfortunately, principled libertarians who realize that truly free-markets are incredibly pro-poor and anti-corporatist are going to get lumped in with conservative fascists who have contempt for the poor.

Rexlunae;

If the Minimum Wage Increases, the Government just gets .50/h from practically Everybody; that's why they want it done, Money.

If the Minimum Wage increases, all the Products will Increase in price along with it.

Of Course; I wouldn't expect an atheist to be able to understand simple "Economics", if she can't understand the Implications of the existence of a "Fine-Tuned" Universe: how can I expect them to understand how "Money Works"?

=M=

A Minimum Wage Increase will Make it Harder for Small Businesses to function; If you think an Increase of Minimum wage is going to "Help" this Economy, you are an Unthinking Moron, that cannot learn from History.

(Obama Llama?)

Atheism is a twin problem. In the first place it destroys any basis for objective morality, which inevitably leads to deifying the State and expecting it to solve these problems(This is why most "relativist" moral codes generally allow anything EXCEPT disobedience to the State, because to them it is God) and in the second place it degrades people's morals and makes it less likely that people will help the poor without the State.

Either way the solution is to evangelize people, and teach them what the Bible says about politcs.

rexlunae

Rexlunae;

Anonymous?

Right. It's all about those poor-people taxes.

Isn't it a complaint of the Right that the poor don't pay enough in taxes anyway?

It doesn't work that way, never has. The minimum wage disproportionately impacts a small and underpaid part of the economy, and while it makes a lot of difference to them, it makes very little difference to the economy as a whole.

What exactly does atheism have to do with economics?

Yeah, it's all about the small businesses. Nevermind the fact that many of the worst offenders for exploitative wage practices are large companies like Walmart, which has spawned the fortunes of several of the richest people in the world.

I've actually looked at the history of the minimum wage in pretty thorough detail. The history is that there is essentially no reliable impact on unemployment, which means that any job losses are generally made up in other parts of the economy.

rexlunae

Atheism is a twin problem. In the first place it destroys any basis for objective morality,

Regardless of religion, there is not basis for a truly objective morality. Atheism doesn't impact that reality one way or the other.

... which inevitably leads to deifying the State and expecting it to solve these problems(This is why most "relativist" moral codes generally allow anything EXCEPT disobedience to the State, because to them it is God) and in the second place it degrades people's morals and makes it less likely that people will help the poor without the State.

Why don't you stop setting up pointless straw men and actually discuss the issue at hand?

Either way the solution is to evangelize people, and teach them what the Bible says about politcs.

I'd actually be more impressed if you did that than if you continue to rely on Lew Rockwell. But you're going to have to ground your economics in something more, well, objective, than Christian dogma if you want to make any progress.

Mark SeaSigh

BANNED
Banned
Right. It's all about those poor-people taxes.

Yep, most of America gets paid "Minimum Wages". If the Government Forces Increase, the Goods will Go Up in Prices to Match, and the Government gets that extra .50/h from Everybody that makes minimum wage.

Isn't it a complaint of the Right that the poor don't pay enough in taxes anyway?

No. I think that there are far too many taxes.
The money that is taken, and is not used to "Fix Roads", like everybody told you growing up. If the US Government worked on spending money more wisely; There would be Plenty of Money to use on Schools and Roads.

It doesn't work that way, never has. The minimum wage disproportionately impacts a small and underpaid part of the economy, and while it makes a lot of difference to them, it makes very little difference to the economy as a whole.

What do you think the Percentage of Minimum Wage Workers is to the Entire working Population?

I think It's Higher than you think. : )

What exactly does atheism have to do with economics?

Nada; But, now I see why you are never arguing in the favor of atheism on the "Creation vs Evolution" thread.

LOL!!!

Yeah, it's all about the small businesses. Nevermind the fact that many of the worst offenders for exploitative wage practices are large companies like Walmart, which has spawned the fortunes of several of the richest people in the world.

I personally don't like the Idea of WalMart, Either.

But,

Why should people that work at "WalMart" get paid more than people that work at any other place; Like a Factory for instance?

I've actually looked at the history of the minimum wage in pretty thorough detail. The history is that there is essentially no reliable impact on unemployment, which means that any job losses are generally made up in other parts of the economy.

There are More Variables to the History, and when it was Increased; than the ones you are considering.

If the Minimum Wage Increases, all the Base Manufacturers are going to have to Increase the cost of their Products, in order to counter the amount of Money taken by the Government Forced Increase; Or, I suppose that they could Fire a person or two: which means that would lead to "Less Jobs" across the board, and not just an Isolated Change.

( like the Loss of Employment if we were to make all Car Manufacturers immediately stop producing Gasoline Powered Vehicles. )

=M=

oatmeal

Minimum skills + minimum effort + minimum motivation + minimum education + minimum goals = minimum wage

Merit = increases in pay

Have you ever employed anyone?

For any reason?

What did you pay them to do?

Was there a time frame for that goal to be accomplished?

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
The bottom line is that the unreasonably wealthy are constricting the circularity of wealth, and instead of acknowledging this unwarranted greed there's just excuses to keep the rich rich and the poor poor.

And because of this, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. This is one of my main concerns about the right wing- despite that the overwhelming majority of them have a claim to Christianity, they seem to be quite content at pulling at wealth and even bread- food stamps are inevitably a subject with follows alongside this, as those who have to survive on minimum wage also need such benefits to fortify what minimum wage was originally supposed to do.

Again, minimum wage was made so that a person could in fact have a place to live and food to eat- this is no longer the case.
I think the right wing needs to step up and take some accountability, as it's really an embarrassment- I am all about conservative ideology but these are the things which keeps the whole of me from being for the right wing.