Moscow or London?

Arthur Brain

Fair enough.

I'll clarify as to why, Birmingham more represents the cultural diversity than London does. London is effectively thirty five cities in one and a lot of it is faceless commerce and consumerism. Some of the outlying areas are great and represent the more cultural diverse aspects but as a whole London is that large a compact that there's little to recommend it on a diversity scale other than the amount of tourists it attracts. Smaller cities that don't take a fortnight to travel around have it that much more abundantly. Heck, Birmingham is the second largest city in the UK...

eider

I'll clarify as to why, Birmingham more represents the cultural diversity than London does. London is effectively thirty five cities in one and a lot of it is faceless commerce and consumerism. Some of the outlying areas are great and represent the more cultural diverse aspects but as a whole London is that large a compact that there's little to recommend it on a diversity scale other than the amount of tourists it attracts. Smaller cities that don't take a fortnight to travel around have it that much more abundantly. Heck, Birmingham is the second largest city in the UK...

OK...........
How about Newcastle, Bristol or on a smaller scale, Chester or Canterbury?

eider

Think 120 miles makes that much difference? :plain:

I understand that a wicked country (or its leaders) can be excellent hosts when they want to, but I gotta say that Russia hosted the World Cup very well. It must have gained some good-guy points over that?

Foxfire

I understand that a wicked country (or its leaders) can be excellent hosts when they want to, but I gotta say that Russia hosted the World Cup very well. It must have gained some good-guy points over that?

Didn't even begin to make up for the Sochi Winter Olympics debacle!

:think:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Moscow represents republican values better than London does.

American values, not so much:

A majority of Americans, 68 percent, consider Russia either unfriendly or an enemy of the United States, according to a new NBC News/SurveyMonkey poll.

That's a 9 percent increase from one year ago, when 59 percent of Americans said they considered Russia either unfriendly or an enemy, signaling that attitudes toward Russia have worsened amid President Donald Trump's administration and the federal probe into Moscow's interference in the 2016 election.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...udes-toward-russia-worsen-under-trump-n892196

Arthur Brain

OK...........
How about Newcastle, Bristol or on a smaller scale, Chester or Canterbury?

Sure, I live in the North East so Newcastle is the closest on that score and I love the place. :) I've been to all and Chester is one of the most picturesque places in Britain with so much timbered housing still in place. I wasn't trying to slate London or anything and maybe should have kept my own gob shut?

:eek:

eider

Sure, I live in the North East so Newcastle is the closest on that score and I love the place. :) I've been to all and Chester is one of the most picturesque places in Britain with so much timbered housing still in place. I wasn't trying to slate London or anything and maybe should have kept my own gob shut?

:eek:

No...... that's fine. There weren't any angles. I think London is a poor fit for the identity and character of England, let alone Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.