Mr. 5020's SPOTD (1/15/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. 5020

I know it's early in the day, but this one is hard to beat. This is the best job of explaining one's position on taxes that I have seen in a long time.

Good job Turbo! :thumb:

See it in context...

Turbo said:
kmoney, in 1 Samuel 8, when God is describing the actions of a corrupt and tyrannical king, among them is taxing people 10% of what they produce (a 10% income tax). I am not opposed to income tax but apparently 10% is too high. I oppose progressive taxes because they penalize people for success. I oppose taxing corporations because that is effectively double taxation since corporations are made up of individual taxpayers.

I am opposed to sales tax because of the burden it places on business owners, forcing them to become tax collectors. Also, sales taxes tend to disproportionately place the tax burden on those with less income because they tend to spend a greater percentage of their income out of necessity. Sales taxes function as a regressive tax in most cases.

I am opposed to property taxes because people should be free to own land. We are effectively forced to pay rent to the government and pretend like the land is ours. And when people don't pay their property taxes they are evicted from their land.

Also, regardless of how the taxes were obtained, when a government uses money for purposes for which it shouldn't, it is effectively stealing. It's like if you willingly entrust my money to me to be used for a certain purpose, but I decide to use it for something else. The role of governments is to protect its citizens from crime and to provide infrastructure. When a government uses tax money for other purposes, it has made itself a thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.