New, if you don't count lurking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DcEliza

Hey all!

I am 28 and a former Catholic. I am here mainly to gain some insight and wisdom(?) to help sort out what I really believe and not what the Catholic church wanted me to believe. So, we'll see.

asilentskeptic

Hey all!

I am 28 and a former Catholic. I am here mainly to gain some insight and wisdom(?) to help sort out what I really believe and not what the Catholic church wanted me to believe. So, we'll see.

Welcome to the coolest forum this side of the Atlantic (and the other side too)!

Sorting out what you believe as opposed to what the Catholic church wants you to believe can be a tough process. You will find that some of the things they say are spot on! You will also find that many of the things that have developed over the years are a teeny tiny bit off (hint: this is an exaggeration, some of them are completely off the wall). You have to ask yourself how an "infallible" church can do things like remove a saint from the ranks (St. Christopher, patron saint of travelers) or get rid of limbo (It disappeared from the Catechism in 1992).

So, where are you starting from? What path are you taking in your quest for "truth"?

I would recommend reading the Bible for yourself if you haven't already. It is a good place to start in deciding what you believe as a Christian. Read what the Bible has to say and then ask a Lot of questions. Don't just accept what other people tell you the Bible says, read and study it for yourself! 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

This is the perfect place for sorting things out. I wish you luck!

DcEliza

I am starting from a small base of faith that God is there, I just need to find Him for myself and not for my church or because that is what is expected. I do not want to be told things are true without investigating for myself and believing for myself. Not, "you have to do this because God says so". But WHY did He say so? That's where I am at now.

I have read parts of the Bible and plan to read it more in depth.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The welcome messages seem to be increasing in size and colour. :think:

WELCOME TO TOL!!!!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.