New York now asks mothers what their current sex is on birth certificate

GFR7

Political correctness and concepts of "equality" have made us lose all contact with reality.

I am beginning to wonder if this can ever be reversed.

Woe is us. :(
According to recent reports, transgender mothers may now declare their gender to be male when filling out their children’s birth certificate forms. Despite the fact that these individuals are obviously female given their ability to give birth, the New York City Health Department nonetheless wants to allow pregnant women living as men to declare their preferred gender on the official form.

“What is your DATE OF BIRTH, current AGE and SEX?” new mothers are now asked.

The convoluted question is contained in a section for the “Mother/Parent (Woman Giving Birth)” to complete, revealing that even the attempt at inclusivity ultimately recognizes that only a woman can give birth.

Similarly, a baby’s father is also prompted to choose his preferred gender.

Though the new policy has elicited a significant amount of criticism, gay advocacy leaders like Lambda Legal’s Susan Sommer see it as a positive step.

“A form that is respectful and doesn’t make assumptions about sex or gender of people parenting children is fine to me,” she said.

Still, plenty of social media users found the idea preposterous.

6a00d83451bdba69e2014e602c962f970c-450wi
http://www.westernjournalism.com/ne...thers-birth-certificates/#SjqU6GbkwmGCGHx5.99

OCTOBER23

They are thinking of allowing Prisoners to choose their Prison

depending on the gender that they FEEL that they are.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
OK - but don't you think it's an odd question? They used to know the mother was female. :(

All I'd care about was the information on my child's birth certificate and I wouldn't be be interested in the info on someone else's certificate, so what's your concern?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Its meaning for the general culture?

It's a form. You fill in the information, you never see it again, and unless you've just had a baby in New York, you'll never see it at all.

But it gives you another opportunity to wring your hands, so I suppose there's that.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What is on the form represents a sea-level change in how we view gender.

Then by all means run for the hills and get a few thousand feet above sea level, where the sky won't have to fall so far. Most of us will find some way to soldier on. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What is on the form represents a see-level change in how I view gender.
Fixed that for you. :eek:

It's peculiar, but I think part of a larger, modern problem...no, the notion that our values are diminished by the choices others make. I don't get it, goofy and mistaken as I think the form remains.

I mean, if AB starts wearing high heels tomorrow (as opposed to, say, the usual Wednesday) and insists on being referred to as Nancy Bumble-Bottom (more of a holiday occasion, I'm told) then how does that really effect the rest of us?

GFR7

Fixed that for you. :eek:

It's peculiar, but I think part of a larger, modern problem...no, the notion that our values are diminished by the choices others make. I don't get it, goofy and mistaken as I think the form remains.

I mean, if AB starts wearing high heels tomorrow (as opposed to, say, the usual Wednesday) and insists on being referred to as Nancy Bumble-Bottom (more of a holiday occasion, I'm told) then how does that really effect the rest of us?
I wouldn't want Nancy around children. Gender is important to some of us.

GFR7

Okay. I wasn't aware there was a bill in play mandating that. I thought you were going to tell me what bothers you about the blank on the form there. :plain:

Who isn't it important to?
Maybe it should be less important to some..... :think:

GFR7

Who and why?
Well, transgender people. If men and women are equal, and we are all persons - how important is it really, to be one or the other? If I am born in a male body, but want to be female, maybe someone should tell me to quit wanting that, quit wanting gender transition surgery, and just be a person.

rexlunae

Well, transgender people. If men and women are equal, and we are all persons - how important is it really, to be one or the other? If I am born in a male body, but want to be female, maybe someone should tell me to quit wanting that, quit wanting gender transition surgery, and just be a person.

Why should someone tell you that? What good does it do?