BANNED
Banned
beanieboy said:
No.
They are more, hmm...mature.

That doesn't sound like much fun.

There are more thread about Open vs. Closed Theism,

:yawn:

and less on pointless drivel about the Batman's sexuality being questioned.

He's definitely a homo.

So, while they are interesting, it's kind of PBS vs. Fox. Sometimes, you are in the mood for trash TV.

Yeah, when I'm in the mood for trash, I watch PBS, too......

fool

Hall of Fame
I been meaning to get around to it, But my wife knows how to work the pay pal thing, and she thinks your a bunch of wierdos that I spend to much time talking to any way.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
fool said:
I been meaning to get around to it, But my wife knows how to work the pay pal thing, and she thinks your a bunch of wierdos that I spend to much time talking to any way.

If I have touched just one life, it has all been worth it. :cloud9:

easymoney

Hi

BillyBob said:
I don't get it.

There are quite a few regular posters at TOL who are not subscribers. They post here every day or nearly every day. Spend countless hours using the TOL facilities, yet they do not feel compelled to pay for the service. They are content letting others pay their way.

Sounds like a bunch of commies.......

I don't understand why it is bad not to pay to use a forum? Why not had ads? I don't mind them as long as they aren't pop ups.

EZ$

Gerald

Resident Fiend
BillyBob said:
That may be, but he's definitely gay.....
How can a fictional character have a sexual orientation?

I mean, it's like the hubbub about Ernie and Bert supposedly being gay (and I'm sure it's unnecessary to remind you that those characters are puppets, possessed neither of sex or sexual orientation).

Caledvwlch

Um, if everyone should be a subscriber, then why isn't it mandatory? Give everyone a fifty or so posts and then send them automatically to the sign-up screen. So it's not mandatory, but if you don't do it, you're evil. Nice.

Jujubee

BillyBob said:
I don't get it.

There are quite a few regular posters at TOL who are not subscribers. They post here every day or nearly every day. Spend countless hours using the TOL facilities, yet they do not feel compelled to pay for the service. They are content letting others pay their way.

Sounds like a bunch of commies.......
Thankyou for being careful with your wording...because I post everyday and someone was very gracious in paying for my cost. I was forever grateful. But sometimes times are hard billybob and people can't afford it. especially if you have more than one family member posting...
Juju

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Jujubee said:
Thankyou for being careful with your wording...because I post everyday and someone was very gracious in paying for my cost. I was forever grateful.

I will take this opportunity to respond to the past couple posts.

I clearly was referring to posters with many thousand posts and posters who post here nearly every day and have done so for years without ever subscribing.

But sometimes times are hard billybob and people can't afford it.

I bet if they stopped posting so much and got a job instead, they would not be enduring such hardships.

Jujubee

BillyBob said:
I will take this opportunity to respond to the past couple posts.

I clearly was referring to posters with many thousand posts and posters who post here nearly every day and have done so for years without ever subscribing.

I bet if they stopped posting so much and got a job instead, they would not be enduring such hardships.

Very true, I apolijize!
Ju

beanieboy

I was thinking about this issue over the weekend.

To pay or not to pay.

I use the service, so isn't it my duty to help pay for it?

But then I went into Lund's, a local supermarket that charges too much for everything, but it's a definitely a pleasant experience. They have samples everywhere you turn. My friend's father used to take his daughters to Lunds to take one sample of everything after church. By the time they were done, they were full.

So, I thought, were I to take a sample, and then the clerk said, "So, are you going to buy a whole cheesecake? It's the least you could do for taking a sample...", I would be put off.
If I was so impressed with the cheesecake that I wanted to by it (which is the reason why they put out the samples in the first place), then I would have. I don't need to have someone guilt or pressure me into buying it. The product should sell itself.

Then I started layering other things on it.
Were I to enjoy seeing people at Lund's, but some of the staff their said, "Hey, you ignorant waste of space! You make me vomit!! Go to hell!!!", I wouldn't DEFINITELY not throw money at the establishment. If I were to then tell a manager that I had some issues about some of the staff or other customers, and they simply shrugged, it wouldn't make me think much of the store. But if they are going to hand out free samples, I'm always free to take them.

From a business point of view, McDonald's could give out samples - 1 free Big Mac/day per customer.But after you ordered the one, they would ask you if you would like fries, soda, or maybe another Big Mac. Once you're full, however, there's no need to get another.

In supporting TOL financially, I would support many of the things I disagree with.
In simply worrying about my rep points, and keeping quiet for those things which I oppose, I am supporting the opposite of what I believe in.

So, a good question to ask the nonsubscribers is:
What would it take to get you to throw a few bucks?

I will put up with more that if something is free, but to pay, I expect service.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
beanieboy said:
I was thinking about this issue over the weekend.

To pay or not to pay.

I use the service, so isn't it my duty to help pay for it?

But then I went into Lund's, a local supermarket that charges too much for everything, but it's a definitely a pleasant experience. They have samples everywhere you turn. My friend's father used to take his daughters to Lunds to take one sample of everything after church. By the time they were done, they were full.

Does that seem like an ethical thing to do?

Don't you think they were abusing a priviledge?

So, I thought, were I to take a sample, and then the clerk said, "So, are you going to buy a whole cheesecake? It's the least you could do for taking a sample...", I would be put off.
If I was so impressed with the cheesecake that I wanted to by it (which is the reason why they put out the samples in the first place), then I would have. I don't need to have someone guilt or pressure me into buying it. The product should sell itself.

Taking one sample one time is different than planning your weekly trip around free samples.

Then I started layering other things on it.
Were I to enjoy seeing people at Lund's, but some of the staff their said, "Hey, you ignorant waste of space! You make me vomit!! Go to hell!!!", I wouldn't DEFINITELY not throw money at the establishment. If I were to then tell a manager that I had some issues about some of the staff or other customers, and they simply shrugged, it wouldn't make me think much of the store. But if they are going to hand out free samples, I'm always free to take them.

That's stupid analogy. You are posting in a debate forum, not stealing cheesecakes. You are gonna have to expect people to be direct when they posts to you.

From a business point of view, McDonald's could give out samples - 1 free Big Mac/day per customer.But after you ordered the one, they would ask you if you would like fries, soda, or maybe another Big Mac. Once you're full, however, there's no need to get another.

In supporting TOL financially, I would support many of the things I disagree with.
In simply worrying about my rep points, and keeping quiet for those things which I oppose, I am supporting the opposite of what I believe in.

So, a good question to ask the nonsubscribers is:
What would it take to get you to throw a few bucks?

I will put up with more that if something is free, but to pay, I expect service.

But Beanie, you ARE getting service. You just posted that post, for godsakes! :doh:

beanieboy

BillyBob said:
But Beanie, you ARE getting service. You just posted that post, for godsakes! :doh:

I also have the option to have a free Yahoo account, or pay for more space.
I don't need more space,

Let me give you a scenario.
You log on to a board that is for Gay Christians.
They believe in Jesus, but they also are gay positive. They interpret the few passages in the bible re: homosexuality to deal with idol worship, and not applied to same context of homosexuality that we understand today.

You think, "I'm going to teach this commies what fer", and log on, and express your problem with their beliefs. They call you dog dookie, and mock you incessantly.
However, you enjoy talking to a handful of likeminded people that are on for similar reasons as you.

You are then told that you "owe" them money for using their free service, as an ethical issue, which will give more money to the website, that supports telling people that you can be gay and christian.

Do you donate?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I would pay for a subscription on ANY website which I used frequently.

You are being a hypocrite by saying:"I will put up with more that if something is free, but to pay, I expect service." and not paying. You ARE most definitely receiving service here.

Status
Not open for further replies.