OK, so what's up with the Enyartian trolling of Pharyngula...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipper

I was catching up on my blogs and was mildly surprised to see a post addressing Bob Enyart, who has challenged PZ to debate, dated yesterday.

I probably shouldn't link to it because Pharyngula is a fairly sweary place, so I won't, unless I get the nod.

I saw some familiar names trolling it up in the comments - Ken and Joe Scott, and our very own Stripe, plus someone from Godisnowhere.

Some observations: There might be a mote/beam thing going on here when you accuse the Pharyngulans of being licklespittle disciples of PZ Myers. After all, people are branded Enyartian for a reason. It is rare to see any criticism or questioning of Bob on TOL by Christians of a particular ideological bent around here, and he tends to get nothing but glowing reviews from these folk.

Furthermore, Bob tends to be very fulsome in his praise of individuals whose scientific credentials he likes (i.e. YECs). Just sayin'

I did see the Bergman/Myers debate in person, as I alluded to a couple of weeks ago when SerpentDove brought it up. There's a reason why the Twin Cities Creationist Association who taped the event never released the DVD like they said they were going to do.

It's not that PZ Myers is a really great speaker, it's more that Jerry Bergman was really, really terrible. I mean, horrible. As PZ Myers points out, Bergman asserted several times that the periodic table is irreducibly complex, but failed to explain exactly what he meant. After all, we transmute elements in particle accelerators all the time and Michael Behe later disavowed any relationship between irreducible complexity and the periodic table.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I saw some familiar names trolling it up in the comments - Ken and Joe Scott, and our very own Stripe, plus someone from Godisnowhere.

To be fair, I have been trolling Pharoutnarnia for a lot longer than just today. :chuckle:

Some observations: There might be a mote/beam thing going on here when you accuse the Pharyngulans of being licklespittle disciples of PZ Myers. After all, people are branded Enyartian for a reason. It is rare to see any criticism or questioning of Bob on TOL by Christians of a particular ideological bent around here, and he tends to get nothing but glowing reviews from these folk.

It's the free stuff he hands out. :D

Furthermore, Bob tends to be very fulsome in his praise of individuals whose scientific credentials he likes (i.e. YECs). Just sayin'

Uh ... yeah.

I did see the Bergman/Myers debate in person, as I alluded to a couple of weeks ago when SerpentDove brought it up. There's a reason why the Twin Cities Creationist Association who taped the event never released the DVD like they said they were going to do.

Maybe they don't know how to. :idunno:

It's not that PZ Myers is a really great speaker, it's more that Jerry Bergman was really, really terrible. I mean, horrible. As PZ Myers points out, Bergman asserted several times that the periodic table is irreducibly complex, but failed to explain exactly what he meant. After all, we transmute elements in particle accelerators all the time and Michael Behe later disavowed any relationship between irreducible complexity and the periodic table.

Sounds like a pretty silly thing to say. What does this have to do with being an "Enyartian", though?

WizardofOz

we all know how little a promise means to a Christian - PZ Myers :down:

He is certainly high on himself isn't he....."that astonishingly awful whiny young earth creationist I crushed last November."

Although, "Everyone I talked to, including the creationists, thought Bergman's performance was dreadful."

So, what is he bragging about?

I am not a big Enyart fan (being anti-reconstuctionists and all), but PZ Myers sounds like an immature idiot if one is just going by this little rant.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The next guy who pulls out the "Shouldn't you be more Christ-like?" line when Lighthouse justifiably calls him a moron I'm gonna send on a little excursion with a sign reading YEC strapped to his chest. :chuckle:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Then why won't it post?
It posted mine but it took about 3 minutes for it to come up. Try again. But this time just open up a second browser. After you post, surf the net for 5 minutes or so and then check back to see if it's up.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The next guy who pulls out the "Shouldn't you be more Christ-like?" line when Lighthouse justifiably calls him a moron I'm gonna send on a little excursion with a sign reading YEC strapped to his chest. :chuckle:
What brought this on?

Status
Not open for further replies.