On Fire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
It looks like you all had a good time... after I fell asleep.

The downsides of age... of course I probably feel better this morning than some of you. :chuckle:

docrob57

Zakath said:
Hey Doc, we've got some O'Doul's around here in a cooler somewhere... help yourself.

You don't buy O'Doul's, you just rent it. But no thanks, I don't like fake beer any more than I do fake pills.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Balder said:
Hmmmm. :think: Has anyone ever studied the placebo effect with fake alcohol?
I don't know about "fake" alcohol, but I've heard of studies done substituting alcohol with water in mixed drinks...

Alcohol and its Effects on Behavior - William R. Miller, Ph.D.
Until the 1970's, research on the behavioral impact of alcohol failed to take into account the effects of such expectancies. If, for example, a person drinks alcohol and then becomes more aggressive, is this because of a chemical effect of the drug on the nervous system, or because the person expected (or had permission) to behave more aggressively? One way to sort out these influences is through the use of the balanced placebo design, a research strategy in which subjects are given beverages to drink and then their behavior is tested. Some of the subjects get drinks containing alcohol, and others receive alcohol-free drinks. Within each of these two conditions, some are told that they are receiving alcohol, and some are told that they are receiving an alcohol-free drink. The tastes of the drinks are carefully controlled so that it is difficult to detect whether or not alcohol is present. There are, then, four groups:

1. people drinking alcohol and knowing it
2. people drinking no alcohol and knowing it
3. people who think they are drinking alcohol but in fact are not (the placebo group), and
4. people drinking alcohol without knowing it (the balanced placebo group).

Research of this kind has shown that many of the effects once thought to result from alcohol - particularly the pleasant effects that people desire when they drink - are, in fact, the result of psychological expectancies rather than the drug. People in the placebo group have been found to become less anxious, more sexually aroused, more sociable, more aggressive, and to find things funnier and to "lose control" after receiving drinks they believed to contain alcohol. Such effects are rarely observed in the balanced placebo group, where people receive alcohol without realizing it. In some cases, the actual effects of alcohol are opposite to those expected by most drinkers. The true drug effect of ethanol on sexual arousal, for example, is a depressant effect, reducing arousal.

- emphasis mine - Z

taoist

*stumbles out of the beer truck, looking a bit bleary eyed, pushing dead soldiers out of the way*

Hey, guys, what happened to the party?

*catches a quick glance at that zebra-striped truck*
*catches second glance*

Hey, wait, that's MY truck!

*rifling through the toolbox, pulling out paint cans and brushes*

Okay, dudes and dudettes, the zebra-striping has got to go. Grab a beer and a paintbrush, it's time for some really creative group art.

Granite

Hall of Fame
taoist said:
*stumbles out of the beer truck, looking a bit bleary eyed, pushing dead soldiers out of the way*

*catches second glance*

Okay, dudes and dudettes, the zebra-striping has got to go. Grab a beer and a paintbrush, it's time for some really creative group art.

...and what happened to my eyebrows?

Balder

Very interesting, Dr. Z. Maybe you could come out with a new line of "placebo" alcohol. You could call it "Pharisee" or "Pharisee Lite."

C

cattyfan

taoist said:

*catches second glance*

Whatja have in mind? Something Partridge-familyesque, perhaps? :D ***grabs a paintbrush and some dark purple paint***

Crow

That was a good idea you had there. :chuckle: Now when I catch the $#@% that saran wrapped the outhouse seats. :Clete:

taoist

cattyfan said:
Whatja have in mind? Something Partridge-familyesque, perhaps? :D ***grabs a paintbrush and some dark purple paint***
Grab a fender, a beer, a paintbrush and let your imagination run wild. Come on, ain't ya never done a group paint before? I had murals on four walls in my last place in Chicago. Ended up looking pretty durn cool. Course with Rednecks manning the brushes, who knows what'll happen?

Pepper

Zakath said:
I don't know about "fake" alcohol, but I've heard of studies done substituting alcohol with water in mixed drinks...

Alcohol and its Effects on Behavior - William R. Miller, Ph.D.

Yeah...I've seen that happen a few times, mostly when I was away at school. I saw a number of freshman girls get "drunk" off of near-beer and mixed drinks they were told had alcohol in them. Mostly at the hands of this kid Adam....he seemed to get a kick out of it.

docrob57

Pepper said:
Yeah...I've seen that happen a few times, mostly when I was away at school. I saw a number of freshman girls get "drunk" off of near-beer and mixed drinks they were told had alcohol in them. Mostly at the hands of this kid Adam....he seemed to get a kick out of it.

Adam?? Hmmmm. So Adam served as the tempter here. This must mean something!

Pepper

docrob57 said:
Adam?? Hmmmm. So Adam served as the tempter here. This must mean something!

Ummm....I guess it just means that Adam liked to have a laugh at the expense of freshman girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.