Poisoned by Prescription

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
A little over three months ago, I began a terrifying journey - a journey that is only now coming to an end. What is really frightening, though, is that I am not the only one who has had a similar experience. I have read many stories from others who are still trying to recover after years of pain and suffering. Sadly, there are thousands of others who are being virtually poisoned by the very prescriptions they are trusting to make them better.

My “journey” began on September 10th as I was facing several difficult and stressful situations. My husband was facing possible neurosurgery for a neck injury, I was handling the books for a struggling family business, and foremost, I was anticipating a confrontation with someone I love. Even though I had carefully prepared for this confrontation, I was extremely nervous and jittery. Then, when I let the opportunity slip away from me, I felt terrible. I could hardly sleep that night, repeatedly waking with a gasp for air.

The next day, I ended up at the emergency room feeling extremely short of breath and dizzy. I was given an EKG, a chest x-ray, some blood tests, and a prescription for Ativan (also known as lorazepam - an anti-anxiety medication). The doctor told me that what I had experienced was an anxiety attack and that I should make an appointment with my doctor.

An anxiety attack! I had been through many stressful situations, but I had never reacted like this. I immediately got on the internet and started doing some research. Yep! The diagnosis seemed correct. Everything I read sounded exactly like what had happened to me. Well, I wasn’t going to let anxiety get the better of me. I began to teach myself coping techniques and vowed to put the whole episode behind me. After all, as Paul said, “…God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2Tim. 1:7

The Ativan my doctor had prescribed made me a bit sleepy, so I decided to look it up as well. Everything seemed okay. It didn’t appear to be addictive and had few side effects, so I continued taking it as prescribed. Still, I didn’t feel right. My body was overtaken by an uncontrollable trembling sensation and I began to feel more anxious than ever. A week later, after the prescription had run out, I returned to my doctor feeling miserable. He asked me a few questions, suggested I call “mental health” and quickly refilled my prescription with a stronger dosage.

Feeling uneasy about the increased dosage, I obtained a pill splitter and began cutting the tablets in half. But as the days progressed, I felt as though I was barely hanging on to my sanity. My hair had begun to fall out in clumps whenever I showered, I couldn’t think straight, and I no longer felt like myself. It was as though I’d left my true personality behind on that fateful September day. I began to see two stages of my life, the “pre-anxiety me” and the “post-anxiety me”. I wanted desperately to return to my former self but everything seemed foggy and incoherent. I wondered how someone could suddenly just lose them self, as it seemed had happened to me.

A month and a half went by, and still I was struggling with the anti-anxiety techniques I’d learned. These did help get me through each day, but just barely. I wasn’t just anxious; I was lost. I prayed to God for some insight into what was going on, when a thought occurred to me. Perhaps my body was reacting this way due to a physical problem. I did a search for physical ailments that can cause panic attacks and found a list of possibilities. One was anemia. I had been anemic in the past, so perhaps that was what was wrong now. I wasted no time in getting an appointment to have a blood test the following Monday.

Before Monday came, the prescription for Ativan ran out. I had tapered off of it until I was only taking half a tablet before bed, so I figured it was a good time to try and cope without it. But over the next two days, my life really fell apart. I found all I could do was curl up on the couch, trembling and wishing for death. I began to consider my husband’s gun as a way out, but the thought terrified the tiny bit of sanity I had left. I immediately asked my husband to take me to after-hours care.

As soon as the doctor saw me, she suspected that I had a thyroid problem. After a fairly thorough exam, she was even more convinced. She ordered blood tests, re-prescribed the Ativan and sent me on my way. While I still felt quite sick, I was relieved that maybe I was finally getting to the bottom of things.

The blood test confirmed the doctor’s suspicions and I was given a prescription for levothyroxine, a thyroid replacement medication. Within a week, I began to notice an increase in my energy level. The pieces seemed to be falling into place. I now understood why I had become so breathless under the initial stress of my prospective confrontation. Soon I would be back to my old self! Or so I thought. While my energy was indeed returning, my thinking was as cloudy and disturbed as ever.

One night, while visiting with family, I was feeling especially ill. I turned to look at my 14 year-old-daughter and had to turn away. She didn’t look right to me and I couldn’t bear to see her in such a distorted way. Suddenly my 11 year-old-son entered the room and I was filled with the same disturbed thought. I wanted to scream in agony.

I was supposed to be getting better, not worse. Now I was really afraid that I was losing my mind. Nothing seemed the same to me. Certain sounds, being touched, different sights all produced agonizing sensations. One night, while dining with my family in one of our favorite restaurants, I caught sight of an elderly woman’s blue and gold jacket. The sight of it made me feel sick inside and I couldn’t look at it. At times I felt utterly cut off from God, even though I knew intellectually that this was not true.

I scoured internet sites concerning hypothyroidism looking for answers, but nothing compared to what I was experiencing. I even looked up “nervous breakdown,” but to no avail. I cried out to God to help me unlock this terrible mystery. He immediately answered my plea. I felt compelled to reconsider the Ativan that I thought had been helping me. I decided to stop, cold turkey on November 1st.

For four days I felt horrible. While cleaning my house, I nearly flew into a state of rage. I picked up my sons toy pistol and held it to my head to see what it would feel like if I were to really do such a thing. With trembling hands, I slowly set it down and fell to my knees in tears. I wasn’t really sure what was happening, but I decided it must be some kind of withdrawal symptom. I decided to renew my research into Ativan and what I found shocked me.

I remembered that Ativan was in the family of benzodiazepines. I typed “benzodiazepine withdrawal” into the search engine, and what popped up before me were countless stories of people just like me who had nearly lost everything because of this family of drugs. Some called it a monster, others called it evil. Some were so afraid of this drug that they were considering wearing bracelets to warn medical personnel against giving them any form of this drug in the event of an emergency.

I discovered that some people have what is called a paradoxical reaction to benzodiazepines. This means that they react exactly opposite of the benefits this medication is supposed to produce. For example, instead of calming the anxious person, the drug actually produces anxiety. This can also occur from what is called a "rebound effect" as the user begins to experience withdrawal between doses. Had I known that such things were possible, perhaps I would have been spared a month and a half of suffering.

One of the more disconcerting things I learned was that this drug is stored in fat cells and can take some time to completely leave the system. I joined a forum for people who have done battle with benzodiazepines and came in contact with many people who are still dealing with withdrawal symptoms after years of being off the medication.

About a week after being Ativan free, a strange thing happened. I was watching the news when suddenly I realized the colors were brighter and the sounds were clearer than they had been in weeks. I was filled with a joy that I had forgotten I could experience. A few weeks later, I laughed aloud when I caught myself humming a tune. That was something the “pre-anxiety me” always used to do!

While I continue to improve, I still must occasionally deal with the uncomfortable sensations associated with withdrawal. Just knowing that, in time, these feelings will completely subside helps me get through the bad days.

Many people have no idea that this drug is actually responsible for their continuing anxiety. I feel it’s important to get the word out to as many people as possible. Only after my experience did I learn that both my sister and my father were using benzodiazepines. Neither of them had any idea of the havoc these drugs can cause.

Here is a list of other benzodiazepines and some helpful websites in case you or someone you know is suffering from these drugs

Xanax (Alprazolam)
Valium (Diazepam)
Chlorazepate (Tranxene)
Ativan, Alzapam (Lorazepam)
Serax (Oxazepam)
Centrax (Prazepam)
Librium (Chlordiazepoxide)
Paxipam (Halazepam)
Halcion (Triazolam)
Klonopin (Clonazepam)
Dalmane, Durapam (Flurazepam)
Restoril, Razepam (Temazepam)

http://benzo.proboards12.com/index.cgi
http://www.breggin.com/bzbkexcerpt.html
http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashbzoc.htm
http://www.benzodiazepines.cc/paradoxical.htm
http://www.benzodiazepine.org/SymptomList.html#Anchor-__________-41675
http://www.stormloader.com/bettyf/
http://www.whale.to/drugs/cita.html

PS. The confrontation was a disaster, the business is still struggling, but most important, my husband has since had the surgery and is doing great! :D

Last edited:

firechyld

Akkk... :(

My schizo affective disorder first made itself known with panic and anxiety attacks. I was initially put on Xanax (which had me sleeping 20 hours a day and prompted a suicide attempt) and am now on Valium, on an "as needed" basis, rather than a daily dose, for the occasional panic attack I still suffer. I understand how crappy the initial experience must have been... especially before an appropriate diagnosis is made... that was hellish.

I'm currently detoxing off my antidepressent, as I built up a resistance to it. It seems to be a hereditary thing... I build up resistancies to drugs with phenomenal speed. The detox is "going well" according to all the doctors involved, although "going well" appears to include nausea, throwing up, panic, depression, mania and exhaustion.

The Valium was the medication I had the best response to... my doctor and I had many a lengthy discussion about the pros and cons of placing me on a benzoid. It was eventually decided that placing me on a daily dose of a benzoid would ultimately be a negative step, as the detox from them is so damn nasty.

I'd suggest making an appointment with your doctor to discuss why these concerns were not addressed initially... a doctor is actually not allowed to prescribe a benzoid without discussing the addictive nature of the drug, at least in this country. If you've been prescribed a benzoid without being given that warning, there may be grounds for malpractice.

Hoping that you feel better soon... I remember that place, and I wouldn't go back there for anything. :(

firechyld

firechyld

Oh, a PS on that.... they're also supposed to warn you of the potential for rebound anxiety or psychosis before allowing you to wean yourself off the drug. I had the option of being put on something else whilst detoxing off my antidepressent, but I was also informed that it would simply be delaying the inevitable. Considering the amount of other medication I'm on, I shudder at the thought of what this would be like completely cold turkey. :(

Glad that your husband is doing well!

firechyld

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Thanks firechyld!

Thanks firechyld!

I would like to add that it was about a week after I had gone cold turkey off the Ativan, that I learned it could have been a dangerous move. People at the benzo forum suggested that I consult with my doctor about doing a Ativan/Valium taper. Apparently, Valium has a longer half-life and can make the transition easier. At that point, I was too terrified to even think of returning to any form of benzodiazepine that I decided against it. I have not yet decided as to whether I should consult my doctor about the situation.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
wow!!

wow!!

Becky,

I was sitting there reading your post with my jaw dropped. I could have written nearly the same post about my experience with a similar drug, Klonazapam. The only difference is there was a time when it did help with the anxiety some but for the most part it had the adverse effect on me but before I knew it I was physically addicted and had no idea what was going on when I decided I wanted to stop taking it. Words can't even begin to describe what I went through. After a while I too wished I could just die. I had 5 children with one only 6 months old and I had at one time reached a point that I thought they'd be better off without me. I still have problems but have learned to handle them in much better ways than with that drug. The studying I started doing on the internet as well caused me to become extremely interested in natural forms of medicine which one must also use with caution but I've found a great deal more benefit from this as well as taking care of myself and eating right. I can't even bare to begin talking about all the shocking stuff I found online over many medications. Sometimes I get too worked up over it but our society has no idea how much they are being poisened just as you said.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post. It means a lot when you hear of somebody else who has experienced something as severe as this. It helps you to feel as though you're not the only one in the world that goes through these things.

C

cirisme

Wow, Becky, what an experience. I had my jaw open most of the time while reading this.

Praise Jesus that you have since recovered!

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Just say NO!

Just say NO!

Becky-Thank you for having the courage to bring this into the public forum. Who knows how many people this might be able to help.

This makes me fearful over how many people might commit suicide while having this type of reaction to these drugs. And since these people are already considered to be depressed or have nervous disorders, how easy it would be to chalk it up to the wrongful diagnosis rather than the drug itself.

I will certainly be praying that you fully recover.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Thanks everyone. I can't stress enough that before I began taking the Ativan, I was living a calm, happy life. I was more fatigued than usual because of my undiagnosed hypothyroidism, but other than that, I felt well grounded and content. I now go for several days feeling quite normal, but then suddenly I will have a relapse of symptoms. During these times, it is difficult to convince myself that I am experiencing withdrawal. I tend to blame myself or think that maybe it is really all in my own mind. But then, as the symptoms subside, it becomes glaringly clear to me that these feelings are evidence that the drug leaving my system. It is amazing how “muddled” these drugs can make one think. I’m just thankful that I only used this stuff for 51 days. Others have been on it for years and have a much longer road to recovery in front of them.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Polycarpadvo,

Polycarpadvo,

Thanks so much for adding your story. I don't think people realize the danger of these drugs. I am planning to announce this thread over on the benzo support board to see if anyone over there would like to add their story to this thread.

After hearing from both you and firechyld, it amazes me that not one of the three doctors who prescribed this medication warned me in any way. Not only that, but none of my prescriptions included the customary insert we usually get with our Kaiser medications. That's why I ended up looking it up the first time around. I just wish I had dug a little deeper in the beginning!

firechyld

There is certainly something odd going on if your doctor didn't discuss the issue with you.... mine went to extreme lengths to explain why, exactly, regular benzoid use could be dangerous, what risks we were running, and what the plan would be if I was taken off it.

My vote is on asking your doctor about it. If the response is unsatisfactory... find another doctor!

I have to admit, it must be tough for the professionals to diagnose someone with "anxiety problems".... they have so many different causes!

firechyld

temple2006

Becky..With such a radical reaction to benzodiazepines you are lucky to be here. Glad to see you are recovering.
Some years ago I was addicted to Xanax, for which I have a doctor to thank. I had to be hospitilized to get off of it. I still remember the horrible experience.
However, not everyone reacts the same to these drugs. At the present I take 1 mg. of Klonopin per day, as I have a seizure problem alongside my emotional states. I also take 10 mg. of Paxil which is a very low dose. I feel fine and I have been taking these drugs for at least ten years.
This is not something I feel very good about but hey I am doing fine.
There are those of you do not think I am doing fine. Maybe you have a point!

la rubia

BANNED
Banned
Wow, Becky, thank God you're all right!
I've never taken anything that strong, but a few years ago after I had my son, I began to have anxiety, and was put on Paxil. It helped at first, but when I wanted to stop, I had to taper off to avoid terrible withdrawal. When I finally tapered down to nothing, I had a really bad time. If I walked or drove a car, everything around me would spin, I'd cry all the time, and feel almost like I had the flu. I finally got over it, but it was really freaky for a while. Maybe it was just my system or something.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
firechyld

firechyld

You said, ”There is certainly something odd going on if your doctor didn't discuss the issue with you.... mine went to extreme lengths to explain why, exactly, regular benzoid use could be dangerous, what risks we were running, and what the plan would be if I was taken off it.
Not one of the three doctors who saw me gave me cause for concern. But then, that is Kaiser for you. I am also surprised that my family practitioner automatically handed out this prescription without ever considering a physical cause for my anxiety and shortness of breath. Once I suspected that there was something else going on, I found a long list of possible causes. I had to tell the doctor I needed a blood test! Thank goodness for the after-hours doctor who finally made the correct diagnosis (even if she did push more Ativan on me).
You said, “My vote is on asking your doctor about it. If the response is unsatisfactory... find another doctor!”
I know I should, I just haven’t been able to decide how to handle it.
You said, “I have to admit, it must be tough for the professionals to diagnose someone with ‘anxiety problems’.... they have so many different causes!”
Agreed! However, wouldn’t it be easier on both doctor and patient if they asked a few more questions and ran a couple of blood tests before simply brushing it off as mere anxiety and handing out dangerous medications? Here is a list of ailments that should be ruled out right from the beginning:

hypertension
mitral valve prolapse
menopause
premenstrual syndrome
hyperthyroidism
hypothyroidism
hypoglycemia
pheochromocytoma
anemia
iron deficiency anemia
folic acid anemia
B12 anemia
sickle cell anemia
heart attack
hypoxia
carcinoid syndrome
compression neuropathies
temporal lobe epilepsy

firechyld

Exactly.

My anxiety, as I've said, did prove to be related to the onset of a mental illness... but my doctor did a lot of tests before embarking on that course of treatment. In opposition to your experience, I had to actually tell my doctor that medication was working and that we might have found what was wrong before he'd stop with the ".... or it could be this, which we'll test for..."

firechyld

firechyld

If you've been given a definite diagnosis and embarked on treatment that's working, perhaps you should call your regular doctor and ask if you can come in for discussion? I found it helpful to ask my pshrink to write a letter to my GP, which meant I didn't have to stumble around trying to detail the diagnosis itself and could get straight onto discussion of treatment and diagnosis methods.

It could just be a simple situation of your GP not being familiar with thyroid conditions... as far as I can tell, they've only become a common diagnosis within the past decade or so.

firechyld

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
temple

temple

You said, “With such a radical reaction to benzodiazepines you are lucky to be here. Glad to see you are recovering.”
From other stories I’ve read, my experience is not so unusual. I am glad to still be here and I thank God for helping me to hang on and find a solution. He is a constant source of strength for me! I found a lot of comfort by turning to my Bible and immersing myself in prayer.
You said, “Some years ago I was addicted to Xanax, for which I have a doctor to thank. I had to be hospitilized to get off of it. I still remember the horrible experience.”
I’m so sorry to hear that you have had to go through something as horrible as this! Your story parallels many of those I’ve read.:cry:
You said, “However, not everyone reacts the same to these drugs. At the present I take 1 mg. of Klonopin per day, as I have a seizure problem alongside my emotional states. I also take 10 mg. of Paxil which is a very low dose. I feel fine and I have been taking these drugs for at least ten years.
This is not something I feel very good about but hey I am doing fine.”
It’s true that these drugs are used to control seizures and in that regard, I guess you really haven’t a lot of choice. But it is possible that your “emotional states” are aggravated by rather than helped by these drugs. I’m glad to hear you feel fine, though, and I’ll pray that you and your doctor use wisdom in how to best treat your illness. :thumb:

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Isn't it frightening?

Isn't it frightening?

Originally posted by la rubia
Wow, Becky, thank God you're all right!
I've never taken anything that strong, but a few years ago after I had my son, I began to have anxiety, and was put on Paxil. It helped at first, but when I wanted to stop, I had to taper off to avoid terrible withdrawal. When I finally tapered down to nothing, I had a really bad time. If I walked or drove a car, everything around me would spin, I'd cry all the time, and feel almost like I had the flu. I finally got over it, but it was really freaky for a while. Maybe it was just my system or something.
Right here, in our own little TOL neighborhood, so many of us have gone through similar experiences! Thanks for sharing your story. I only hope we can help spare others from a similar fate!

yog^sothoth

BANNED
Banned
questions...paraphrased!

questions...paraphrased!

Oh my god, i typed out this huge friggin reply and it is gone....computer went kaput. I'm going to sum it up numerically pointed style

1. i work in a pharmacy and i've seen this effect once or twice
2. different drugs work for different people
3. had you suggested to your doctor that you wanted to try a different drug? or asked your pharmacist that it was doing something weird to you?
4. you should get a petition together and send it to the drug company or the FDA to raise awareness of this potentially fatal side effect.
5. there are other answers to anti-anxiety other than that class of drugs, have you asked about these or are you afraid of them now?
6. have you considered a malpractice suit?

blunt and to the point there but you get the idea. sorry, i'm just miffed i lost my login!

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Thanks yog^sothoth!

Thanks yog^sothoth!

Let me attempt to answer your questions (my responses in blue):

1. i work in a pharmacy and i've seen this effect once or twice
Scary!:nono:

Very true! Taking a drug off the market that has the potential to help certain individuals would be a terrible move.:shocked:

3. had you suggested to your doctor that you wanted to try a different drug? or asked your pharmacist that it was doing something weird to you?
I’m still just trying to get a handle on the situation! I’m not too anxious to try anything else. I finally feel like I’m getting back to my old self. (My doctor did just double my levothyroxine dose, however):thumb:

4. you should get a petition together and send it to the drug company or the FDA to raise awareness of this potentially fatal side effect.
I have been in contact with others who are trying to do just that! I did sign an online petition, but I haven’t heard anything else yet.:confused:

5. there are other answers to anti-anxiety other than that class of drugs, have you asked about these or are you afraid of them now?
I have been reading a book by Dr. Claire Weekes that has been a great help (Hope and Help for Your Nerves). And, yes, I am a bit afraid of drugs – a least for the time being.:eek:

6. have you considered a malpractice suit?
I’ve considered it, but what I really think is needed is more education and awareness. I am really not in favor of pushing lawsuits except in extreme cases of negligence. Since I am recovering, I don’t feel it would be appropriate to sue anyone.:)

firechyld

Too true. I've found that my friends tend to talk to me about issues like this... possibly because of the heaviness of my medication box (lol) but probably because I'm quite open about my illness and treatment... and a recent common thread has been anti-depressents. More than any other medication group, I've seen the way in which certain medications work on certain individuals.

The best example I can think of is the drug known as Cipramil... active ingredient citalopram hydrobromide... one of the worlds most often prescribed selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. The example features three females roughly the same age... myself, my ex flatmate, and a mutual friend of ours... all of whom have been diagnosed with some form of bi polar disorder.

The first, myself, was prescribed Cipramil after the first course of antidepressents (Zoloft) failed to achieve any result whatsoever. This was after I'd been hospitalised. From the first dose of the drug, I went manic... aggressive, paranoid, psychotic episode type manic. I curled up in a ball in the corner of the room and screamed whenever anyone came in. It took over two days for them to manage to get close enough to me to sedate me and try me on a different, less crazy-making medication.

The second, my friend, was prescribed Cipramil because she was experiencing "low cycling"... the mood stabiliser she was on had taken care of the manic episodes, but she was consistantly depressed and suicidal. After a few weeks on Cipramil, she started slowly slipping into delusions. She ended up sitting on the stairs to her apartment, having an indepth conversation with her cat... not such a bad thing, except that the cat was talking back, and that she was speaking a language she'd made up.

The third, my ex-flatmate, was put on Cipramil after her first anti-depressent had "rebound depressant" effects... that is, it made her more depressed than she was before she was put on it. A few weeks into treatment, her mood was up, she was functioning normally, and she continued to steadily improve. Cipramil proved to be a drug that worked really well for her, with the exception that it does nothing to help with the tiredness she suffers. The depression itself is all but gone, as are the panic attacks.

I was placed on Efexor XR, a newer anti-depressent that works on serotonin and dopamine, rather than just serotonin. While I did end up on quite a high dosage, it actually impacted the depression in a way that other antidepressents never did. The third example above, my ex flatmate, has also been tried on efexor. It lead to panic attacks, insomnia and, most significantly, more depression. I'm in the process of detoxing off the efexor (I built up a resistance to it... I do that...) so I can be put on something else.

*grin* So, on re-read, it sounds like everyone I know is drug-dependent. Still, I find it interesting that the same drug would have such measurably and extremely opposed effects in three individuals.

Another example would be zoloft, which is another of the most commonly prescribed SSRIs. Pretty much everyone I know who is on an antidepressent was first trialed on zoloft. For the lucky ones, it worked. ;)

firechyld