?Political Correctness Paving the way to Acceptance of Depravity?

bybee

Where are you getting this bizzare idea that using the words pork and bacon are offensive and that there is a group of scary Muslims telling us not to eat it? If anything, the culture has become more obsessive about bacon than ever in the last 5 years or so.

My advice is to stay away from the right wing propaganda sites spreading falsehoods and exaggerations. You lap up such lies way too easily.

That is one way to look at it....

Tinark

Bacon mania refers to passionate bacon enthusiasm in the United States[1][2][3][4][5] and Canada.[6][7] Novelty bacon dishes and other bacon related items have been popularized rapidly via the internet.[8][9]

The movement has been traced to the 1980s and 1990s when high-protein foods became a more prominent diet focus due in part to the Atkins diet.[10][11] Since then, bacon focused events and gatherings celebrating the food have been reported and bacon related exploits have been featured in media accounts.

The increased interest in bacon has led to Bacon-of-the-month clubs,[23][24] bacon recipe contests, blogs,[25] and even "bacon camps."[26][27] Seattle hosted a "bacon camp" where bacon was included in an assortment of bacon dishes and other bacon-related items. Bacon has even been referred to as a fashion statement after a bacon bra was photographed.[1]

The Portland Monthly noted that "Bacon is such a quintessential breakfast staple, even vegetarians stake a claim to their own versions."[28] A website called "Bacon Today" was started to provide updates about bacon related happenings.[22][29]

The San Francisco Weekly reported on the first "BaconCamp" held "in solidarity with the growing popularity of events (see the recent Grilled Cheese Invitational)" and reported that the event "demonstrated just how much of a high bacon is currently on in terms of notoriety and how far people are able to stretch one culinary theme".[30] The event included lectures on bacon as art, a Power Point presentation of the Obacon project (a recreation of the famous Obama Hope poster), as well as judging and awards.[30] The slide show from the event includes a wide range of innovative food and decorative bacon entities.[31] The San Francisco Weekly advised those attending to live, breathe, and smell like it and to bring a bacon dish.[32]

Even the liberal stronghold of San Francisco is embracing bacon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon_mania

Jose Fly

only because of out lousy drug laws
Yep. It was Nixon's Assistant for Domestic Affairs, John Ehrlichman who said:

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar Left, and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black. But by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

bybee

Yep. It was Nixon's Assistant for Domestic Affairs, John Ehrlichman who said:

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar Left, and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black. But by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

Okay. So you are saying that the public is stupid, gullible and can be manipulated by whatever political machine happens to be in power?

Tinark

True, here on TOL.
I'm thinking of the Christian baker who may very well lose her shop because she chooses not to bake a cake for a customer with whom she disagrees.

That's not expressing an opinion. That is discriminatorily denying services at a public accommodation. This has been beaten to death many times already.

bybee

That's not expressing an opinion. That is discriminatorily denying services at a public accommodation. This has been beaten to death many times already.

It has certainly been shown that an opinion contrary to acceptance of anything declared legal is not to be tolerated. Yet not everyone agrees with all that is declared legal. Therefore, if one does not agree one may not continue in business.
Somehow I see a loss of freedom here.

Tinark

It has certainly been shown that an opinion contrary to acceptance of anything declared legal is not to be tolerated. Yet not everyone agrees with all that is declared legal. Therefore, if one does not agree one may not continue in business.
Somehow I see a loss of freedom here.

But it's not the expression of the opinion that's illegal. It is the denial of services that is illegal. Why shed crocodile tears over something that's been ingrained into American law since the 1960's with anti-racial discrimination laws?

TracerBullet

True, here on TOL.
I'm thinking of the Christian baker who may very well lose her shop because she chooses not to bake a cake for a customer with whom she disagrees.

You mean the business owner who thinks they are above the law and refuses to serve minorities.

She didn't "disagree" any more than a racist "disagrees" with blacks or an Neo-Nazi "disagrees" with Jews -she chose to discriminate and like any choice her decision to break the law has consequences. Hiding ones prejudice behind the bible doesn't justify discrimination and it doesn't make your actions anything but reprehensible, all it does is soil the image of Christianity.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I never quite get this, politics is a practical profession; it is social mixed with business, and only is this.

Only the young and careless care about the idea of ‘correct politics’; it is a mass produced entertainment, like television game shows. What is real is the business behind politics, and how politics is the representative of business.

I never pay attention to any such irrelevant pseudo-politics, and, as a consequence, I have never understood what it actually means? To me, it is playing; actually it is to monkey around with ideology, which is purposeless.

Funny, though, if a picture I watched about Richard Nixon was at all based in some fact, then he was somewhat neurotic, or mentally disturbed, as it portrayed him being overly concerned by what a bunch of kids thought about him, and his overblown concern about his self image, his need to be liked by people, who were irrelevant to his life. It seemed to me he might have not been forced to resign had he not cared about what did not matter. He should have focused on his deal with China and Russia, and not some nutcase who could never harm him.

My point, being too concerned about small matters can be tragic.

bybee

I never quite get this, politics is a practical profession; it is social mixed with business, and only is this.

Only the young and careless care about the idea of ‘correct politics’; it is a mass produced entertainment, like television game shows. What is real is the business behind politics, and how politics is the representative of business.

I never pay attention to any such irrelevant pseudo-politics, and, as a consequence, I have never understood what it actually means? To me, it is playing; actually it is to monkey around with ideology, which is purposeless.

Funny, though, if a picture I watched about Richard Nixon was at all based in some fact, then he was somewhat neurotic, or mentally disturbed, as it portrayed him being overly concerned by what a bunch of kids thought about him, and his overblown concern about his self image, his need to be liked by people, who were irrelevant to his life. It seemed to me he might have not been forced to resign had he not cared about what did not matter. He should have focused on his deal with China and Russia, and not some nutcase who could never harm him.

My point, being too concerned about small matters can be tragic.

It ought to work on both sides of the equation.

bybee

You mean the business owner who thinks they are above the law and refuses to serve minorities.

She didn't "disagree" any more than a racist "disagrees" with blacks or an Neo-Nazi "disagrees" with Jews -she chose to discriminate and like any choice her decision to break the law has consequences. Hiding ones prejudice behind the bible doesn't justify discrimination and it doesn't make your actions anything but reprehensible, all it does is soil the image of Christianity.

We all realize that one may not disagree with the Law with impunity.
Personally? I'd bake the cake. Complying with the Law does not imply agreement with the Law.
But what about the right to be true to one's own conscious?
Must that mean the loss of freedom to engage in commerce?
The answer is yes.
To make a buck one must be willing to bastardize oneself.
What a state of affairs!

Tinark

Personally? I'd bake the cake. Complying with the Law does not imply agreement with the Law.
The answer is yes.
What a state of affairs!

I didn't see you complaining about the racial discrimination laws in the past. Why weren't you shedding tears for the poor white southerners who are forced to serve black people against their own conscious, having to "bastardize" themselves to make a buck?

TracerBullet

The answer is yes.
What a state of affairs!

You mean the right to discriminate

Jose Fly

Ah....I see now. Bybee's just upset that society is moving away from Christianity-fueled bigotry rather than towards it.

Exactly what I thought....an old Christian seeing the world around her changing and shouting "I don't like it!!!"