Polygamy is in the Bible

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I suggest you actually read the link I gave you above. It answers most of your questions.

I looked at it before. Did you know that it is hard or difficult reading? Also, it talks about a false prophet Joseph Smith. I don't want to have anything to do with that. What do I have to get through to understand what you think I don't? I am totally for scripture and the husband of one wife, don't miss that. I just know it apart from sin. For example, do I need to become married to be an overseer or a deacon, or is it if I would have more than one wife (what if she died) then I would not be eligible any longer? Remember, not a recent convert.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I looked at it before. Did you know that it is hard or difficult reading? Also, it talks about a false prophet Joseph Smith. I don't want to have anything to do with that. What do I have to get through to understand what you think I don't? I am totally for scripture and the husband of one wife, don't miss that. I just know it apart from sin. For example, do I need to become married to be an overseer or a deacon, or is it if I would have more than one wife (what if she died) then I would not be eligible any longer? Remember, not a recent convert.
Did you read it though?

Looking at an article does not necessarily imply reading it.

Look, if you're not interested in the answers, then stop asking the questions.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Did you read it though?

Looking at an article does not necessarily imply reading it.

Look, if you're not interested in the answers, them stop asking the questions.

I can tell you that I was not thinking Joseph Smith when I created this thread. I did not read it. I have looked at it more, and I can read the whole thing before replying again. What questions have I asked you that you do not want to answer? Otherwise you have done all that you can. When a person posts a link it can be looked at or not. I do not accept the content of the link. It has a lot of things that are interesting, in particular about priests. But I don't get why this is with Joseph Smith who was a false prophet.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
From

Is marriage between one man and one woman rabbinical?
It is Rabbinical. Started in the 11th century, by Rabbienu Gershom. Until then, men could have multiple wives.

Thank you. I see something like this in the Bible.

Romans 7:1-3 NASB - 1 Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? 2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
1 Corinthians 7:39 NASB - A wife is bound as long as her husband lives; but if her husband is dead, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.

marke

In the Bible we find that marriage is between one man and one woman. There is also polygamy found in the Bible. How do you navigate that?

When two decide to never marry anyone else, they are deciding to go beyond the law which is that after a spouse dies you can remarry.

The question has to do with adultery.

The other subject related to this with multiple wives is child wives. It is a problem.
Murder is in the Bible also, but that is not a license to murder.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Monogamy is of God. Polygamy is not of God.

Genesis 2:24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

So why is it that many Godly men had multiple wives?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Where did God promote polygamy among the 'common' people? He didn't.

Where did I say He promoted it? Don't move the goalposts.

I said He allowed it for a while. Then He prohibited it, and that prohibition remains to this day.

The Bible calls it "sin."

Chapter, verse, where polygamy is "sin".

Humans sin but that does not mean God condones it.

Supra.