Pope allows forgiveness for abortions...

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Not exactly. Only the person wronged can offer forgiveness.

Random Catholics cannot insert themselves into the process of forgiveness.

"To thee only have I sinned, and have done evil before thee: that thou mayst be justified in thy words and mayst overcome when thou art judged" (Psalms 50:6 (chapter 51, I presume, in modern editions)).

Catholics don't confess to a priest insofar as that priest is Fr. Joe or Fr. Bob. They confess to that priest insofar as he is alter Christus (another Christ) and acts in persona Christi (in the person of Jesus).

My sins are literally none of the priest's business insofar as he is such and such a guy. My sins are God's business. That is why there is a seal of confession. The priest can't disclose the sins of the penitents because they weren't disclosed to him. They were disclosed to God through him.

God alone forgives. There is mercy only through Jesus. It is Jesus who acts in the sacraments of the Catholic Church. The priest does not forgive because of his own authority. It is Jesus who forgives through him.

republicanchick

Only God can give forgiveness.

Then why did Jesus say what he said about forgiveness?

Which is easier to say (he said)

Your sins are forgiven

or Pick up your mat and walk

Words are easy... Even if you don't believe priests can forgive, you have to agree that just hearing those words I ABSOLVE YOU IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, the SON and the HOLY SPIRIT.. from a fellow sinful human... are at best harmless

++

Cruciform

Those who are saved are included in the "we"!
In general, Paul is referring specifically to himself and the other apostles. A few aspects of what Paul attributes to the apostles also applies to all believers in general, though not his description of the apostles as "ambassadors for Christ" who entreat "you" lay believers "not to receive the grace of God in vain." Sorry, you thought you really had something there, didn't you.

Take your Catholic doctrine of devils and stuff it.
Given the above, looks like you need to do exactly that with your man-made sectarian traditions of men.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
"To thee only have I sinned, and have done evil before thee: that thou mayst be justified in thy words and mayst overcome when thou art judged" (Psalms 50:6 (chapter 51, I presume, in modern editions)).

Catholics don't confess to a priest insofar as that priest is Fr. Joe or Fr. Bob. They confess to that priest insofar as he is alter Christus (another Christ) and acts in persona Christi (in the person of Jesus).

My sins are literally none of the priest's business insofar as he is such and such a guy. My sins are God's business. That is why there is a seal of confession. The priest can't disclose the sins of the penitents because they weren't disclosed to him. They were disclosed to God through him.

God alone forgives. There is mercy only through Jesus. It is Jesus who acts in the sacraments of the Catholic Church. The priest does not forgive because of his own authority. It is Jesus who forgives through him.

very nicely said :thumb:

That's too nice. We need to grind our heels into these women's faces until they bleed to death!

what on earth is wrong with you?

quip

BANNED
Banned
what on earth is wrong with you?

Christian hubris.

More specifically, have you ever read The Scarlet Letter..... perhaps the Salem Witch Trails?

Christianity and femineity hold such a storied history. :rain:

Cedarbay

Traditio - what is the meaning of your signature? Is this typical Catholic belief about the rosary?

I think it is dangerous to teach/believe that the rosary has the power to save, don't you?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Traditio - what is the meaning of your signature? Is this typical Catholic belief about the rosary?

It's a quote from Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis Marie de Montfort. It basically says the same thing that St. Alphonsus Ligouri does:

"But I, seeing the necessity of prayer, say, that the great lesson which all spiritual books should inculcate on their readers, all preachers on their hearers, and all confessors on their penitents, is this, to pray always; thus they should admonish them to pray; pray, and never give up praying. If you pray, you will be certainly saved; if you do not pray, you will be certainly damned" (Conclusion to a Short Treatise on Prayer).

And ultimately, it's the same thing that Jesus tells us:

"And I say to you, Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you. [10] For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened" (Luke 11:9-10).

Even when I say, as does St. Louis Marie de Montfort, "to Jesus through Mary," I say nothing of which the gospels do not give us a clear illustration and example.

I think it is dangerous to teach/believe that the rosary has the power to save, don't you?

The rosary consists of two parts: 1. meditation on Jesus and Mary and 2. prayers to Jesus and Mary.

Does the rosary, as such, have the power to save? Considered in itself, no: meditation and prayer are human acts, and human beings do not have the power to save. Considered, however, on the part of Him who is being contemplated and Him to whom prayer is being made?

I leave this matter to your contemplation.

At any rate, consider the promises, benefits and blessings of the Rosary.

I place my hopes especially in this one:

"It gives us victory over all our enemies."

Cedarbay

And ultimately, it's the same thing that Jesus tells us:
"And I say to you, Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you. [10] For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened" (Luke 11:9-10).

My heart actually aches to read these words from you, Traditio.

You have equated praying the rosary to praying to the Holy Trinity.

Is this truly what you are saying?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
My heart actually aches to read these words from you, Traditio.

You have equated praying the rosary to praying to the Holy Trinity.

Is this truly what you are saying?

The only reason you would have difficulty with this is because you don't understand it.

Why don't you familiarize yourself with how to pray the Rosary?

Gloria patri et filio at spiritui sancto. Sicut in principio et nunc et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.