Princeton considers dropping Woodrow Wilson name after protests

Granite

Hall of Fame
He's honored because he was president of our country, even if he wasn't a great one. Everybody was racist back then. If we're going to take honor from people because they were racist in the early 20th century, then you won't have anyone left to honor. Times change, and with them, values.

Side note: Abraham Lincoln was racist, and he's a civil rights hero.

The old "everyone was doing it" defense doesn't hold much water. And even by the standards of his day, Wilson's bigotry is noteworthy.

I'd also submit Lincoln is (and should remain) an American hero, period.

Greg Jennings

The old "everyone was doing it" defense doesn't hold much water. And even by the standards of his day, Wilson's bigotry is noteworthy.

Well since only the standards of today matter, should we condemn Alexander the Great? He created the modern societal world, but he killed hundreds of thousands. What about Malcolm X? He was a civil rights leader, but also called for violence against whites. Or how about Shaka Zulu? Should Africans ignore his legacy because he took conquered villagers as slaves?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
He is a known bigot liberal. Unlike most of the left, he doesn't hide it. Good for Princeton, I would not have known they do it right. Unless they are trying to make this a "white" issue and not the liberal one it is.

Yea, he started making trouble with income tax. Not much of a Quid.:think:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Well that's the question--do we take the whole man (any man, not just Woodrow) part and parcel, or do we pick and choose his legacy?

Frankly if Princeton wants to honor an alum that's their business--these glad-handing Ivy League types are clubby and inbred and can do as they please--but when it's a president, like it or not, everything with his name on it becomes high profile and potentially contentious by nature.

I don't really know what we're honoring, though, with Wilson's legacy. League of Nations? Vicious racism? World War I? Income tax?

I mean, if that's your particular cup of tea, knock yourself out.

I'm not saying Wilson should be honored. I've no opinion on that. But I think it's silly to take his name down over racial views because I doubt those views had anything to do with why it's there. Does anyone really think Princeton is promoting racism by it?

As to your first question, hard to answer. Probably a case by case basis. If something new was going up then maybe you consider everything, but we're talking about something that has existed for a while. Removal seems pointless.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Well that's the question--do we take the whole man (any man, not just Woodrow) part and parcel, or do we pick and choose his legacy?

Frankly if Princeton wants to honor an alum that's their business--these glad-handing Ivy League types are clubby and inbred and can do as they please--but when it's a president, like it or not, everything with his name on it becomes high profile and potentially contentious by nature.

I don't really know what we're honoring, though, with Wilson's legacy. League of Nations? Vicious racism? World War I? Income tax?

I mean, if that's your particular cup of tea, knock yourself out.

Yes, if it were over WWI 1 would agree, and that is my point, the issue of his race' outlook was such where if he had been born when Bill Clinton was born he would have held similar views, same with his decisions on foreign relations.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'm not saying Wilson should be honored. I've no opinion on that. But I think it's silly to take his name down over racial views because I doubt those views had anything to do with why it's there. Does anyone really think Princeton is promoting racism by it?

As to your first question, hard to answer. Probably a case by case basis. If something new was going up then maybe you consider everything, but we're talking about something that has existed for a while. Removal seems pointless.

Yeah, end of the day it's hard to disagree. Breaking new ground on a high school? Great, but don't name it after this dude.:chuckle:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Lincoln did some things in violation of the Constitution, such that Bush would have been impeached had he done the same. Still, I think there is much to say for Lincoln, he did, in fact, knowing it or not, create the beginnings, or underpinnings, for the emergence of the modern businessman, or person who is a doer, not an idealist.

brewmama

Wow, for once I agree with you . Scary.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Lincoln did some things in violation of the Constitution, such that Bush would have been impeached had he done the same. Still, I think there is much to say for Lincoln, he did, in fact, knowing it or not, create the beginnings, or underpinnings, for the emergence of the modern businessman, or person who is a doer, not an idealist.

I doubt it.