Process Theology and Open Theology

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
moving beyond 'orthodoxy' into evolving knowledge

moving beyond 'orthodoxy' into evolving knowledge

Is what is conceived as an 'orthodox theology' necessarily true or praiseworthy?

- not necessarily.

As one who finds affinities with some basic logics within process theology....such certainly is more philosophically satisfying than a rigid theism that does not allow for philosophic flexibilities. Theology without philosophy is less wholistic and progressive than with it IMO. So I hold to the logics of a theosophical view of the advance of progressive truths (unfolding more and more into a wholistic vision of the fullness of universal Truth).

As such...I hold the view that God in certain aspects of his conditional nature....grows, expands and experiences all creation (things/beings) - this is not kin to pantheism...but panentheism. God in his unconditional nature of course...remains absolute, independent.....yet in his conditional nature and union with all creation which is in Him....he participates and experiences the whole of creation - He is in his creation...and his creation is in Him. In this inner-mergence.....creation realizes with-in Creator......Creator realizes with-in creation. The fullness of experiencial being cannot be realized apart from this innate relational inter-dependence.

paul

billwald

"Is what is conceived as an 'orthodox theology' necessarily true or praiseworthy?"

It is all we have to work with until Jesus returns. Anything else is "re-inventing the wheel."

The only other option is to canonize the newly discovered gospels such as the "Gospel of Peter." Only an ecumenical council can do that and none is currently possible.

I am convinced that Jesus never intended to begin a new organization but to reform Juadism from the inside.

I am convinced that Paul was teaching a bogus Gospel but after the Temple was destroyed Paul's faction won control of the existing organization. The side that wins the war writes the history books and the Bibles.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by billwald

I am convinced that Paul was teaching a bogus Gospel but after the Temple was destroyed Paul's faction won control of the existing organization. The side that wins the war writes the history books and the Bibles.
You mean guys like Peter and Luke?

Last edited:

libevangelical

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. Process theology is panentheist but not pantheistic. Cobb does stress a Logos Christology which makes Jesus the ultimate constitution of the initial aim of God found in all creatures to maximize enjoyment. Cobb seems in his most recent work to binitarian. I am not as familiar with Pittenger but I wonder if by person he means the human nature of Jesus, thus keeping him on basically the same channel as Cobb. There are process theologians who are attempting to explore the doctrine of the trinity (Trinity in Process ed. bracken and Suchocki). It seems to me that within Process theology the trinitarian doctrine is neither essential nor contrary. As for winners writing history and Bible...that is true to a certain extent....but their appear to be several winners in the Bible, not just Paul.

Last edited:

libevangelical

As for an orthodox theology being praise worthy, it is so only because it keeps us in the same family. This does not preclude ongoing revelation or the movement of the Holy Spirit outside of the covenant community. God is receptive and transformed by our deeds and thoughts and convictions but God remains the same Triune God whose love is perfect in giving and receiving as both open and process theology assert.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
the UB and process theology.......

the UB and process theology.......

The Urantia Book(UB) espouses a cosmic theology that has at its core some essential affinities with process theology (in some and particular aspects). I have found some very profound concepts in the UB....particularly the aspect called 'God the Supreme' - this is the evolving conditional aspect of God that experiences the whole of all creation ...and is the ever growing summation of all experience in the time-space worlds. Higher levels of Deity-Being exist above God the Supreme...being God the Ultimate and God the Absolute (it covers many wonderful aspects of Deity)...yet are all relational...as there is only Deity-Being thru-out. Also I have found it contains one of the most profound commentaries on the Trinity and the inter-relations of these divine persons I have ever read.

http://www.ubfellowship.org/index.html

I am well aware that the UB is an extra-biblical revelation and has some unorthodox views in contrast to orthodox christianity. However, I note its affinities with process theology.....and that its concept and teaching on Deity allows for infinite expansion and growth of God and creation in an open-ended Universe. By 'growth of God' it is not intended to mean God is not already whole, perfect, self-sufficient.....but that in the process of creation....He is expanding His realization/experience of all that is be-ing and be-coming in the evolving Universe...being worlds without end.

paul

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by libevangelical

any further coments turbo?
:eek: Sorry, libevangelical. I forgot or somehow missed where you said you were an Open Theist in the first post. I was thinking you were trying to dismiss Open Theism by lumping it in with Process Theology, as some of those who have responded have tried to do.

Thinking that you were a Calvinist or an Arminian, I was surprised that you said "God is receptive and transformed..." It's not something you expect to hear from someone who believes God exists outside of time in "the eternal now."

Again, sorry for the mix-up.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by libevangelical

Ever feel like you step into someone's conversation and starting talking about something no one is interested in?
So, what exactly were you alluding to here? Was it the whole exchange about the definition of eternal? Or did it start when we were discussing what is included when we started discussing what it means to say that God "has created all things" (i.e. did God create wickedness)?

Were you hoping the discussion would focus more on Process Theology, specifically?

Just curious...