Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

• yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no, please state why in thread

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I would prefer to legalize drugs, tax them and use proceeds for drug treatment and to 'preach' against drug use. Need to put the drug cartels out of business.

Why not just do this with all crimes?

Are you even aware that drug laws first came to be in this country because of the scourge of opium?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would prefer to legalize drugs, tax them and use proceeds for drug treatment and to 'preach' against drug use. Need to put the drug cartels out of business.

So decriminalize recreational drugs, which in turn will cause the amount of drug use and abuse to skyrocket, while using the proceeds taken in by the drug pushers (civil government) to get treatment for those drug addicts and educate them to the evils of drug use (and hence abuse).

Were you by chance on drugs when you wrote that insane paragraph?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Come on A4T,...there's a huge difference between murdering someone and harming oneself....I know you're more on the ball then that :think:

Take a look at the op again, and get back with me. I suppose in your world, murder isnt possible by people way too high to be driving a car or watching a child...

commonsense

So decriminalize recreational drugs, which in turn will cause the amount of drug use and abuse to skyrocket, while using the proceeds taken in by the drug pushers (civil government) to get treatment for those drug addicts and educate them to the evils of drug use (and hence abuse).

aCW pot is legal in several States...your premise is already proven incorrect

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Marijuana use is running rampant here in WA State since it's legalization. Do you own research, I don't have the time nor desire to post links that will go towards immoral eyes.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

you missed his point, and his point is true:

Marijuana Use in America Has Doubled in the Past Decade, Study Says

When you legalize drugs, its use skyrockets, which is turn causes a blight on society.

commonsense

Take a look at the op again, and get back with me. I suppose in your world, murder isnt possible by people way too high to be driving a car or watching a child...
Sigh, come on, I'm not defending anyone driving stoned or neglecting children because they're fried. I'm simply asserting that drug abuse, in and of itself, is a medical issue rather than a legal one.

commonsense

When you legalize drugs, its use skyrockets, which is turn causes a blight on society.[/QUOTE]
I'm not so sure....When you end prohibition and consumption is properly tracked, it's possible that you might see a blip.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Angel4Truth said:
When you legalize drugs, its use skyrockets, which is turn causes a blight on society.
I'm not so sure....When you end prohibition and consumption is properly tracked, it's possible that you might see a blip.

Ive already proven its true. It doesnt matter whether or not you are sure, again opium use was what began drug laws to begin with.

Good luck also tracking someone who cant think straight because they are stoned. Are you high right now?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Drug Overdose Now Leading Cause of Injury-Related Deaths

Drug overdose deaths continue to increase in the United States and are now the leading cause of deaths from injury in the United States, a new report shows.

Every year, nearly 44,000 people die from drug overdoses. Deaths due to drug overdose have more than doubled in the past 14 years, and half of them are related to prescription drugs (22,000 per year), the report shows.

During the past 4 years, the number of overdose deaths rose significantly in 26 states and Washington, DC, and decreased in only six states. In 36 states and Washington, DC, overdose deaths now exceed motor vehicle–related deaths....
read more at link

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
...When you end prohibition and consumption is properly tracked, it's possible that you might see a blip.

Actually, Prohibition was a success:

...First, the regime created in 1919 by the 18th Amendment and the Volstead Act, which charged the Treasury Department with enforcement of the new restrictions, was far from all-embracing. The amendment prohibited the commercial manufacture and distribution of alcoholic beverages; it did not prohibit use, nor production for one's own consumption. Moreover, the provisions did not take effect until a year after passage -plenty of time for people to stockpile supplies.

Second, alcohol consumption declined dramatically during Prohibition. Cirrhosis death rates for men were 29.5 per 100,000 in 1911 and 10.7 in 1929. Admissions to state mental hospitals for alcoholic psychosis declined from 10.1 per 100,000 in 1919 to 4.7 in 1928.

Arrests for public drunkennness and disorderly conduct declined 50 percent between 1916 and 1922. For the population as a whole, the best estimates are that consumption of alcohol declined by 30 percent to 50 percent.

Third, violent crime did not increase dramatically during Prohibition. Homicide rates rose dramatically from 1900 to 1910 but remained roughly constant during Prohibition's 14 year rule. Organized crime may have become more visible and lurid during Prohibition, but it existed before and after.

Fourth, following the repeal of Prohibition, alcohol consumption increased. Today, alcohol is estimated to be the cause of more than 23,000 motor vehicle deaths and is implicated in more than half of the nation's 20,000 homicides. In contrast, drugs have not yet been persuasively linked to highway fatalities and are believed to account for 10 percent to 20 percent of homicides.

Prohibition did not end alcohol use. What is remarkable, however, is that a relatively narrow political movement, relying on a relatively weak set of statutes, succeeded in reducing, by one-third, the consumption of a drug that had wide historical and popular sanction.

This is not to say that society was wrong to repeal Prohibition. A democratic society may decide that recreational drinking is worth the price in traffic fatalities and other consequences. But the common claim that laws backed by morally motivated political movements cannot reduce drug use is wrong.
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/16/opinion/actually-prohibition-was-a-success.html

commonsense

Ive already proven its true. It doesnt matter whether or not you are sure, again opium use was what began drug laws to begin with.

Good luck also tracking someone who cant think straight because they are stoned. Are you high right now?
Ouch...ad hominem just because I don't drink your cool-aid??

commonsense

Wow, are you some sort of Christian jihadist..?