PureX's Friday Night Concert Presentation ...

PureX

This was recorded quite a while back, but I stumbled on it on YouTube, and though ya'll might enjoy it. John Prine is an excellent and very unique song-writer. One of a kind. He's been referred to as "the new Bob Dylan", which is odd, because they may be about the same age. :)

But there's no doubt he is a good writer.

I personally really like this kind of "folk-singer" style presentation because I find it to be more honest then a lot of other styles. You can't really fake this sort of thing.

Anyway ….

unknown

I am disappointed (a little bit). Reading the thread title, I thought it would be you in concert.

I do appreciate the music of John Prine though. I have 4 of his songs in my repertoire; Spanish Pipe Dreams, Please Don't Bury Me, You're Flag Decal won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore and my favorite, Hello In There.

PureX

Sorry if the title was misleading. Although I was a pretty good guitar player in my younger days, and had an interesting and unusual "bent" in terms of style (mixing blues and classical, often with exotic tuning configurations). Those days are long past.

But I still very much enjoy music of all kinds, and as an artist of many years, I especially appreciate the performance as a whole audio-visual and even conceptual package.

I happened to be thinking, today, of some really spectacular performances that I've come across in recent years, and so here's two of them from Steven Tyler, who is a great singer and showman.

In the first one he teams up with Carrie Underwood who is, herself, an amazing singer. But what really makes this performance is that Carrie's song has a lot of rhythmic and melodic similarities with the classic Aerosmith song. So the two songs follow together really well, and the singer's respective voices compliment each other (though Steven's voice is so unique and powerful that Carrie get's a little overwhelmed in spots).

And the second example has Steven Tyler singing the very famous section of the Abbey Road medley in honor of Paul McCartney. And I have to say I don't believe in all the years since that medley was published by the Beatles, I've ever heard anyone do it better! An amazing performance!

PureX

Of course, great performances don't have to be high energy, like those of Steven Tyler and Carrie Underwood. A really good singer with a really good song can deliver a fantastic performance, quietly, and even subtly.

Check out these two classics.

The first is from the heyday of MTV which was, I don't know, 100 years ago or so, I guess. But the performance is timeless, and can still raise the hair on the back of the neck - if you still have any.

And here's another quiet one; that you probably never heard or heard of. But you'll likely know the song, and you'll certainly know the performers. And there's something really cool that happens when artists who genuinely love and respect each other perform together.

PureX

It's Friday Night!

That means it's time for another friday night concert! And I have a fun one for you, tonight.

As some of you may know, I lived in Chicago for many years, and while I was there, I got the opportunity to go to the blues clubs and see performances by some real, live, classic Chicago blues artists, like John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Albert King, and Coco Taylor. And this was back in the days before the Chicago blues scene had become a commodity for white corporate investors to sanitize, package, and sell to the tourists. This was back when the audiences were still black, and poor. And the blues clubs were still in neighborhoods that no tourist would dare go.

But truth be told, even I had gotten there a little late. Muddy Waters past away shortly after I'd arrived. Howlin' Wolf was long gone. And the early blues joints that they stared out in had already disappeared with time and urban blight. But this guy was still there, and he was an integral part of the whole history of Chicago blues. He wrote songs made famous by both Muddy and Wolf, and many others, too. His name is Willie Dixon.

And I happened to stumble across an odd and interesting and fun concert that's a kind of narrated exposition of the blues, hosted by Willie, himself. So that's my concert offering to ya'll, tonight ...

Willie Dixon!

Last edited:

shagster01

It's Friday Night!

That means it's time for another friday night concert! And I have a fun one for you, tonight.

As some of you may know, I lived in Chicago for many years, and while I was there, I got the opportunity to go to the blues clubs and see performances by some real, live, classic Chicago blues artists, like John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Albert King, and Coco Taylor. And this was back in the days before the Chicago blues scene had become a commodity for white corporate investors to sanitize, package, and sell to the tourists. This was back when the audiences were still black, and poor. And the blues clubs were still in neighborhoods that no tourist would dare go.

But truth be told, even I had gotten there a little late. Muddy Waters past away shortly after I'd arrived. Howlin' Wolf was long gone. And the early blues joints that they stared out in had already disappeared with time and urban blight. But this guy was still there, and he was an integral part of the whole history of Chicago blues. He wrote songs made famous by both Muddy and Wolf, and many others, too. His name is Willie Dixon.

And I happened to stumble across an odd and interesting and fun concert that's a kind of narrated exposition of the blues, hosted by Willie, himself. So that's my concert offering to ya'll, tonight ...

Willie Dixon!

I'm a bluesman myself.

Here is a blues song I wrote called Ugly Woman Blues as a Lightnin' Hopkins type piece. I wrote and played all instruments on it. . .

https://soundcloud.com/sean-hagemeister/ugly-woman-blues

and me just playing some Blues Guitar. . .

https://soundcloud.com/sean-hagemeister/blues-jam-in-a

PureX

NOTE: I repaired the Willie Dixon link above, so it works, again.

(It had been posted a while back, and YouTube dropped that particular account.)

PureX

Tonight I'd like to offer a show I saw some years ago, when I was still living in Chicago. It was recorded for a TV program called SoundStage for PBS. It was an excellent musical broadcast and I tried not to miss it when it whenever it was on.

All the SoundStage offerings are terrific, but this one was especially good. Top musicians, playing excellent tunes, all very well staged and produced.

Steve Winwood ….

PureX

OK, so, it's friday evening, and it's time for another Friday Night Concert.

This time, however, what I have in mind isn't exactly a concert, so much as it's a music video/movie. It's actually an amazing piece of work by a couple of Brits named Jamie Catto and Duncan Bridgman.

Jamie and Duncan had made a little money back in the late 80s and early 90s producing some rap artists, and had an amazing idea as to what to do with it, for their next project. And what they decided to do was to travel the world with a portable audio-video recording studio, meeting other artists (of all kinds, not just musicians) to ask them what they thought about the meaning and purpose of life. They recorded each as they went, and offered what they had already acquired to each succeeding artist to add to as they desired, until they had assembled an amazing audio-visual collage. And the list of artists and musicians that contributed is stunning. World class authors, actors, singers, musicians, philosophers, and shaman from every continent on Earth.

And the result is pretty amazing.

YouTube has only one offering of the entire 'movie'. But there's something wrong with it (it jumps and repeats as it plays) and it's very long. But the original DVD did not play as a single movie, anyway. It was divided into titled segments, each of about 10 or 15 minutes. Which was a good way to present so much audio-visual information, because it gives us a break in between the segments.

I'm not going to link to the jumpy full movie. Instead, I'm going to list the links to the individual segments. Not all of them, though, because it would take too long to watch them all, and some of them are not appropriate for TOL.

(I must post a warning, here, that there are a few occasions in these videos where some offensive language is used. I apologize for that, and would bleep it out if I knew how. But I think the overall value of the pieces are so strong and positive that it's worth having to endure a few unfortunate word choices. Hopefully, we're all adult enough, here, to handle the imperfections of others.)

So here we go … The DVD begins with a segment titled "Time", and featuring artists including Eddi Reader, The Mahotella Queens, Revetti Sakalkar, and many more … Speakers include: Stuart Brand, Rabbi Kantor, Brian Eno, Zebulon Dread, Kurt Vonnegut, and Baaba Maal.

1 Giant Leap: TIME

The next segment is titled "Masks", featuring Linton Kwesi Johnson, Ravetti Sakalkar, Sanjay Verma, and others. Speakers include: Ram Dass, Anees Jung, Denis Hopper, Lynn Frank, and Mohammed Zulkiti.

1 Giant Leap: MASKS & ROLES

The segment entitled "Money" is in two part (for some odd reason) on YouTube, and features Grant Lee Phillips and Horace Andy, Kaolin Thompson, and others. Speakers include: Anita Roddick, George Nuki, Michael Franti, Fred Reid and Tom Robbins.

1 Giant Leap: MONEY

The segment titled "Confrontation" features Michael Franti, Jiggs, Spencer Love, Penny Shaw, and others. Speakers include: Tehamua Nikora, Fred Reid, David Oldfield, and George Nuku.

1 Giant Leap: CONFRONTATION

There are three segments titled "God: faith, God: Blasphemy (missing from YouTube), and God: Unity". The segment called "Faith" is missing the video, but the audio is so great that I had to include it. Whirimako Black (of New Zealand) sings from a Maori prayer book and it's amazing! And Ramu Majumdar's flute compliments her.

1 Giant Leap: GOD: FAITH

The segment titled "Blasphemy" is not available, but the segment titled "Unity" features Michael Stipe and Asha Bolshe, Tom Booth, Dave Randall and Pops Mohammed. Speakers include: Jerry Sadowitz, Linesh Shesh, Tom Robbins, Gabrielle Roth, Dennis Hopper, Hilda Bethelezi, Rabbi Kantor, Elders of the Tachi, Prabir, and Baaba Maal.

1 Gint Leap: GOD: UNITY

The next segment is titled "Inspiration", and features Baaba Maal and Ulali, Tanya Carovska, African Show Boys, Mustapha Tettey Addy Drummers, Ayub Ogada with speaker: T.O. Jazz, Kaolin Thompson,Ram Dass, Baaba Maal, Maxi Jazz, Kurt Vonnegut, Dennis Hopper, Tom Robbins, and George Nuku.

1 Giant Leap: INSPIRATION

There is a segment entitled "Sex", but I'm not going to post a link to that one, because as good as the music is, and as interesting as the discussions are, it's just not going to be appropriate for TOL.

After that comes a segment called "Death", featuring The Mahotella Queens and Duncan Bridgman. Speakers are Dennis Hopper, Tom Robbins, Kid Sithole, Pops Mohammed, Fred Reid, Davina McCall, Ram Dass, Nicholas Ellenbogen, and Dr. Rewati Sakalkar.

1 Giant Leap: DEATH

The last segment is titled "Happiness", featuring Michael Franti, Catto and Bridgman, and many others. Speakers: Tom Robbins, Gabrielle Roth, Kurt Vonnegut and the Elders of the Tachi Reservation.

1 Giant Leap: HAPPINESS