ECT Rom 7 Death of Husband

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Romans 7:2 KJV
(2) For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

Discussing this with neighbors, a couple of interesting questions came up.
Take any or all of them and construct your conclusion.

*If Lazarus was married when he died, would he still married to her after Jesus raised him from the dead?​

*Could this be used as another proof-text that Jesus is YHWH (married to Israel), and only through the death of said husband could they be freed of the law?​

glorydaz

(2) For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

*If Lazarus was married when he died, would he still married to her after Jesus raised him from the dead?​

*Could this be used as another proof-text that Jesus is YHWH (married to Israel), and only through the death of said husband could they be freed of the law?​

I think "so long as he liveth" would cover before and after. :think:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think "so long as he liveth" would cover before and after. :think:
That would lead to another question.

If he were still married to the same woman after he arose, then she was not freed from the law.
Right?
:confused:

What does that say about Jesus dying? Would His wife Israel still be bound by the law even though He died and arose?
If so, then Israel was never freed from the law.
Right?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

If he were still married to the same woman after he arose, then she was not freed from the law.
Right?

What does that say about Jesus dying? Would His wife Israel still be bound by the law even though He died and arose?
Right?

I said
Why couldn't she have been freed for the three days and then reinstated when he rose.
Now as far as Jesus, He never was married to Israel. Because Jesus wasn't God.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

She would not be bound, the death of either party terminates a marriage. However, because the resurrection was to flesh and blood the two could remarry.

Jesus was not resurrected to flesh and blood and he is free to take a different wife who will love him.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I said

...My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD. (Jeremiah 31:32 NKJV)

Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. (Romans 7:4 NKJV)​

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
She would not be bound, the death of either party terminates a marriage. However, because the resurrection was to flesh and blood the two could remarry.

Jesus was not resurrected to flesh and blood and he is free to take a different wife who will love him.
This reasoning did come up in the conversation.

Taken from:
Romans 7:4 KJV
(4) Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.​

To summarize the conclusion ....
It is not the earth bound (for lack of a better term) Jesus we should cling to, but the risen Jesus.

But even that brought up another question.
For we are told that once you die, you are as the angels and there is no marriage in heaven.

How would you resolve the issue?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD. (Jeremiah 31:32 NKJV)

Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. (Romans 7:4 NKJV)​
Thanks.

I was going to respond likewise.
This verse does say that ii is the death of Jesus that freed them from the law.
If they were never married to Jesus, then His death did not free them if they were never married to Him.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

It has to do with Gods divorce of the Northern Nation of Israel.

God could not remarry that nation because under the law of Moses, it was an abomination for a husband to remarry his divorced wife.

Once Christ Jesus died on the cross, it was no longer an abomination for Him to remarry the wife he had divorced.

It's why the Disciples were told NOT to go amongst the Samaritans and Gentiles before the cross, but told to go amongst the Samaritans and Gentiles after the cross.

Those Israelites from the House of Israel were scattered amongst the Samaritans and Gentiles.

glorydaz

Right?

I would say that's true.

Right?

Hmm, maybe. Until they are risen with Him as we are?
Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.​

glorydaz

I said
Why couldn't she have been freed for the three days and then reinstated when he rose.

You just outed yourself. :nono:

John 1:1-3, 14

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It has to do with Gods divorce of the Northern Nation of Israel.

God could not remarry that nation because under the law of Moses, it was an abomination for a husband to remarry his divorced wife.

Once Christ Jesus died on the cross, it was no longer an abomination for Him to remarry the wife he had divorced.

It's why the Disciples were told NOT to go amongst the Samaritans and Gentiles before the cross, but told to go amongst the Samaritans and Gentiles after the cross.

Those Israelites from the House of Israel were scattered amongst the Samaritans and Gentiles.
Isaiah 50:1 KJV
(1) Thus saith the LORD, Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement, whom I have put away? or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.​
Who is the mother?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would say that's true.
I tend to agree, in that Lazarus was still earth bound.

Hmm, maybe. Until they are risen with Him as we are?
Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.​
This is the line of reasoning I'm still working on.

It kinda goes like this .....

If both the husband and wife die together, buried together, and are raised together .... then not even death separated them.

The point of marriage is that two become one.
Through the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, is how we become one with Jesus. Freed from the earth bound law.

Still working on it though.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
But even that brought up another question.
For we are told that once you die, you are as the angels and there is no marriage in heaven.

For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven. (Matthew 22:30 NKJV)

So how are the angels in heaven?

Jesus answered and said to them, "The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage. But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage nor can they die anymore, for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection." (Luke 20:34-36 NKJV)​

Angels don't reproduce and so they have no reason to marry. God does not approve of reproduction outside of marriage.

Like the angels, resurrected humans cannot reproduce among themselves. Why? The human Adam being male was able to impart human life. Jesus is the last Adam and has the ability and authority to impart spiritual life. Since Jesus is the last Adam no one else will ever have the ability to impart life.

Jesus' congregations are the bride of Christ and already married to him. We will rear Jesus' children in the Eighth Day as Jesus imparts eternal life to them.

IMJerusha

Was Lazarus married?