ECT Rom 7 Death of Husband

HisServant

The entire context is important her. Jesus was not teaching a lesson here about marriage, he was teaching about freedom from the law.

It never mentions divorce and implies that the husband and wife were still legally married.

Released from the Law
7 Or do you not know, brothers1—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law is binding on a person only as long as he lives? 2 For ea married woman is bound by law to her husband while he lives, but if her husband dies she is released from the law of marriage.2 3 Accordingly, fshe will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress.
4 Likewise, my brothers, gyou also have died hto the law ithrough the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, jin order that we may bear fruit for God. 5 For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work kin our members lto bear fruit for death. 6 But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the mnew way of nthe Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.3

If no writ of divorce was given the woman, than the husband and the wife are bound till death.

God did give Israel a writ of Divorce.... now think on that.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
No one is freed from the Law. We are freed from the curse of the Law. Big difference. Through Yeshua we are free to obey the Law.

What law are you talking about? Surely not the Torah which is incompatible with the NT.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Was Lazarus married?
Scripture doesn't say one way or the other.
My guess would be that he wasn't, seeing that Martha seemed to be the head of the house.
But that's just a speculative guess.

The question was hypothetical (IF he had been married).

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The entire context is important her.
Ell sure.

Jesus was not teaching a lesson here about marriage, he was teaching about freedom from the law.
Both.

It never mentions divorce and implies that the husband and wife were still legally married.

If no writ of divorce was given the woman, than the husband and the wife are bound till death.
Until death.

God did give Israel a writ of Divorce.... now think on that.
We can think on it.
Give scripture that says God gave Israel a bill of divorce.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Ell sure.

Then I saw that for all the causes for which backsliding Israel had committed adultery, I had put her away and given her a certificate of divorce, yet her treacherous sister Judah did not fear, but went and played the harlot also. (Jeremiah 3:8 NKJV)

It was necessary for God to divorce the ten tribes of Israel so they could fulfill their destiny in the world.

It was also necessary for the three tribes of Judah to return to Judah from Babylon to fulfill prophecy.

But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of you shall come forth to Me the One to be Ruler in Israel, whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting. (Micah 5:2 NKJV)​

glorydaz

No one is freed from the Law. We are freed from the curse of the Law. Big difference. Through Yeshua we are free to obey the Law.

No, that's very misleading. You're ignoring the PURPOSE of the Law, and confusing the blessing of the law with the keeping (obedience) of it. The opposite of curse is blessing....not obedience. Not curse on the one hand and obedience on the other.

What your statement implies is that obedience of the Law justifies, makes righteous or gives life. Not so. It does none of those...nor does it remove the curse. Only our Lord's death on the cross did that. Being "free to obey" is something men have always been able to do, but sin actually uses the law to deceive men. Forbidden fruit.

Romans 7:10-11
And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.​

Paul makes it clear. Romans 10:4 and Romans 8:4

Anto9us

Col 1:12

Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

Col 1:13

Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Col 1:14

In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Col 1:15

Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Col 1:16

For by him were all things created,

that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Col 1:17

And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Col 1:18

And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Col 1:19

For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

It kinda looks like Jesus is God.

Nazaroo

I think Lazarus was dead 4 days.

So she would have achieved widow status.

On the other hand, she would be sitting Shiva for him for hopefully at least seven days.

She could say "Hey, I'm free, no give-backs!"

But I think she might be overjoyed by his resurrection,
and actually take him back.

Like the case of the two women and a baby and King Solomon,
her reaction to his reviving might indicate her heart on the matter.

Jesus did say, after reviving Lazarus: "Untie him and set him free!"

A fundamentalist might consider that a new beginning.

Technically she ought to have a writ of divorce, but Lazarus might refuse to sign it.

On the other hand, they might be past the age of worrying about coitus,
and more concerned with continuing to provide a home for any children.

In an occupied country where there was no government welfare-system,
the best policy was usually to stay with one family or another (i.e., moving in
with husband but leaving mom and dad, or returning to mom and dad after a death, cf. Ruth).

I'm going with the idea that both husband and wife would become committed followers
of Jesus, and hence be more concerned with spiritual state and obedience
than legal status re: earthly vows or contracts.

HisServant

Ell sure.

Both.

Until death.

We can think on it.

Jeremiah 3
New International Version

I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries. Yet I saw that her unfaithful sister Judah had no fear; she also went out and committed adultery.

There you go... God is divorced.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jeremiah 3:8-14 KJV
(8) And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.
(9) And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks.
(10) And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.
(11) And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah.
(12) Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever.
(13) Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD.
(14) Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

glorydaz

Jeremiah 3

There you go... God is divorced.

There's a difference between getting the papers and keeping them up in the cupboard and actually filing them with the courts. And, there's always a waiting period before the divorce is final.

Jeremiah 31:35-37
Thus saith the Lord, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The Lord of hosts is his name: If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the Lord, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. Thus saith the Lord; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the Lord.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Isaiah 50:1 KJV
(1) Thus saith the LORD, Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement, whom I have put away? or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.​
Who is the mother?

The Northern Nation of Israel.

God was speaking to the descendants of the 10 tribes from the House of Israel.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD.

Jesus came for the lost sheep:

(John 10:27) My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

(14) Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

Jesus came for the lost sheep of the House of Israel.

Because of His death, He would re-marry the divorced wife.

Salvation went to the Gentiles (only after the cross). This is how "all of Israel" would be saved.

HisServant

There's a difference between getting the papers and keeping them up in the cupboard and actually filing them with the courts. And, there's always a waiting period before the divorce is final.

Jeremiah 31:35-37
Thus saith the Lord, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The Lord of hosts is his name: If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the Lord, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. Thus saith the Lord; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the Lord.

There is no evidence that God has not executed the divorce he gave Israel... after all he IS the Judge, Jury and Executioner... what he says is law.

glorydaz

There is no evidence that God has not executed the divorce he gave Israel... after all he IS the Judge, Jury and Executioner... what he says is law.

Are the sun, moon, and stars still in the sky? Didn't you read the verse I provided from Jeremiah? Or, you can believe Paul.

Romans 11:1-2
I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel saying,​