Search the scriptures

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
Jonah 1:17
Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
Not even relevant to the verse. Jonah was not even a messiah.
and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise[fn] from the dead the third day,
καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι Οὕτως γέγραπται καὶ οὕτως ἔδει παθεῖν τὸν Χριστὸν καὶ ἀναστῆναι ἐκ νεκρῶν τῇ τρίτῃ ἡμέρᾳ
“and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
TOOLS
Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 24:48
“And you are witnesses of these things."

Last edited:

glorydaz

Not even relevant to the verse. Jonah was not even a messiah.
and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise[fn] from the dead the third day,
καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι Οὕτως γέγραπται καὶ οὕτως ἔδει παθεῖν τὸν Χριστὸν καὶ ἀναστῆναι ἐκ νεκρῶν τῇ τρίτῃ ἡμέρᾳ
“and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
TOOLS
Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 24:48
“And you are witnesses of these things."
Not relevant. That's a good one.

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
Not relevant. That's a good one.

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Yes not even relevant because it wasn't a qouoe of Jonah. It is the quote of something lost, just like the quote of the virgin birth.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Easier said than done when one thinks "scriptures" is only the Canon declared by the RCC.

Examples coming.
So just what is your point here, Tambora?

Are you trying to undermine the word of God or are you just doing that by accident?

Just what is it that you think is supposed to be included in God's book that He failed to include?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So just what is your point here, Tambora?
Nothing sinister.

Are you trying to undermine the word of God or are you just doing that by accident?
Neither.
Don't let your imagination run away with you.

Just what is it that you think is supposed to be included in God's book that He failed to include?
I think the book is just fine.
But some details of things the writers present are left out, perhaps because they felt their audience was already aware of the details of those stories.
But we, in modern days, are not aware of those details without the benefit of other writings that were not included in the Canon.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
...some details of things the writers present are left out, perhaps because they felt their audience was already aware of the details of those stories.
But we, in modern days, are not aware of those details without the benefit of other writings that were not included in the Canon.
And as was mentioned they weren't even necessarily writings at the time. They were an oral tradition, only written down later.

Like the Gospel of Luke for instance. Luke 1:1 " 1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us, 2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word; 3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus, 4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed."

The contents of Luke's Gospel were "believed", "delivered" and "instructed" before Luke was written! That means it was an oral tradition until Luke wrote it down!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Neither.
Don't let your imagination run away with you.
It has nothing to do with my imagination. I'm reading the thread and trying to wrap my head around what you could possibly be trying to insinuate.

I think the book is just fine.
Then everything you've said in this entire thread is a lie? Is that what you want me to believe?

If God's book is "just fine" then please explain to me what "Searching the scriptures is easier said than done when one thinks "scriptures" is only the Canon declared by the RCC." means!

Please tell me how you can say that out of one side of your mouth while saying "the book is just fine" out of the other. In what universe are those two things even remotely compatible? How could you be implying anything other than that there are ancient writings that ought to be considered scripture?

But some details of things the writers present are left out, perhaps because they felt their audience was already aware of the details of those stories.
So, God did "just fine" but He could have done better. If only God could have anticipated things going for a whole 2000 years past the birth of Christ!

Yeah, no undermining of God's word to see here! Move along!

I mean, all sarcasm aside, what other point could you be making here?

If such a point isn't your intention then you sure need to work on wording things so as to communicate whatever your point actually is because what it sounds like to anyone who can read this thread is that you think that there all sorts of ancient writings that ought to be in the bible and that it's a detriment to believers that they aren't. In effect, suggesting that you'd have made a better editor of the bible than God turned out to be.

Where would one get off of this particular slippery slope at, by the way?

Clete

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If such a point isn't your intention then you sure need to work on wording things so as to communicate whatever your point actually is
That you can't figure out my intent and read into it what is not there is no reason to jump to conclusion and start accusing me of intentions I do not have.
You know better, or you used to.

because what it sounds like to anyone who can read this thread is that you think that there all sorts of ancient writings that ought to be in the bible and that it's a detriment to believers that they aren't in effect
I never said that and never intended it.
Never once said any of the other writing should be included in the Canon.

and that it's a detriment to believers that they aren't. In effect, suggesting that you'd have made a better editor of the bible than God turned out to be.
Ridiculous and slanderous accusation, Clete.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
That you can't figure out my intent and read into it what is not there is no reason to jump to conclusion and start accusing me of intentions I do not have.
You know better, or you used to.
I am simply responding to what I am reading. If I am missing something then that's why I'm asking you to tell me what your point is.

I never said that and never intended it.
Never once said any of the other writing should be included in the Canon.
Okay fine but I'm pretty sure I know how to read and I quoted your exact words and specifically asked you to explain how two, seemingly incongruous ideas can fit together.

If you can do so, please do!

Ridiculous and slanderous accusation, Clete.
Questions are not accusations, Tambora!

As I said, I am reacting to what YOU have said and specifically, and now repeatedly, asked you for further explanation. You are the one who explicitly stated, right at the start of the thread, that searching the scriptures is pretty tough "when one thinks "scriptures" is only the Canon declared by the RCC."

Those are you own words - verbatim!

In what world would that not directly imply that there are other ancient writings that ought to have been included in the canon of scripture but weren't?

If that isn't your intent, THEN WHAT IS?

Clete

P.S. All caps should not be read as "yelling". It just for emphasis.

nikolai_42

You can call it whatever you want to.

I view the Canonized books as being a compilation of the manuscripts they had available to them at the time.
And I think declaring the Canon closed way back then may have been a bit premature.
Tons of manuscripts have been found since then.

"Scripture" and "The Canon of Scripture" carry two slightly different meanings. There may be entirely original works that contain scripture, but that does not mean the work be included in the Canon. And while there are tons of manuscripts found since then, we also have to keep in mind that the Early Church Fathers would have likely been aware of all sorts of works that we aren't now - and so if one were important to be considered Canonical, it seems to me we would have multiple allusions to it.

In principle, of course, there could be entire works that are worthy of inclusion. However, at some point one has to settle on the truth that God preserves His Word. And while He may have revealed things we haven't seen in the Scriptures, we can boldly assert that what we do have is sufficient to make clear stands on what matters. So that if anything were to come up that isn't directly referred to in the Bible as we have it, it can be considered secondary, a matter of conscience or something God didn't want included.

At the ground of it all, one has to believe Christ is actually building His church and that God's Word will not return to Him void.
And the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Paul knew those names from somewhere.

Again - I would simply say that reference to something in a work does not mean the entire work is considered scripture. We don't have a "Dead Sea Scrolls" book in the Canon, but we do have attestation in it that validates what is accepted.

The Talmud is basically just various commentaries on scripture.
I don't think any of those guys considered it to be scripture.

No, but the authority it had was as if it were scripture (as I understand it). The Jewish take on Scripture and Commentary was not the same as ours (at least as I understand it). I don't know if I'm cherry-picking, but here's an answer I found to the question of the Talmud's authority (underlining and bolding mine):

My question is, that the Talmud is considered divine. Yet the Talmud is a progression of Rabbinic interpretation. Even the name “Living Torah” the idea of a document that brings the Torah to every situation. How can the Talmud be divine? Other then what Moses brought down as in the Mishnah, it is rabbinic interpretation considered divine?

Hi! Thank you for your very interesting question. I don’t think that Talmud is “divine”, if you mean by that it came from G-d. It was written by human beings, and most of it is quotes from various people who lived in that time, a thousand years after prophecy ended.

However, the Talmud is Torah, and as such is holy (maybe that’s what you meant). When G-d gave the written Torah to Moshe, he also certainly must have explained to him the details of what it meant. That is what we call the Oral Torah. But beyond that, the Torah also prescribes a means of settling whichever disagreements arise afterwards, whether because of information lost through the trials and tribulations of many generations, or because of new issues that had not arisen before. It says in Deuteronomy 17:11 that such issues are settled by the Sanhedrin (The high court in Jerusalem of the Temple period), and we must follow whatever they say exactly. G-d wants us to be guided by our leaders.

That means that part of the Torah is the understanding of it that comes from our Rabbis. Though humans wrote it, G-d has commanded us to obey that part too, just as if he said the words himself. Since the Talmud is the last collection of decisions by a court that had the authority of the Sanhedrin, its decisions are real Torah. That is why all the Rabbinical authorities that followed always based their understanding on that of the Talmud.
Authority of the Talmud (Q&A)

Sure.
But where did they get the notion that the Messiah (a type of David) would have power over demonic possession?
The NT verse seems to indicate that they expected the promised Messiah to do just that.
What was it that made them expect that particular thing of Him as verification that He was the Messiah?

Once again, I think their categories were not the same as ours. I don't know exactly how to detail it, but the fact that "The Son of David" carried weight enough to be mentioned when men cried out "Son of David, have mercy upon me" (in more than one situation) and"Hosanna to the Son of David" tells me it wasn't necessarily out of place - in their minds - for Him to be doing miracles (they could easily have compared Him with Elijah, for example, who raised the dead).

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
"Scripture" and "The Canon of Scripture" carry two slightly different meanings.
By each of those phrases, either someone is referring to the Bible, or he/she is not referring to the Bible. By "Scripture", Christians are referring to the Bible. To what would/ought someone be referring to by the phrase, "The Canon of Scripture", if not to the Bible? Anything called "The Canon of Scripture" that is not the Bible is, needless to say, extra-Biblical, and is thus something that is of no authority. And, if anyone uses the phrase, "The Canon of Scripture", to refer to something created (or "established", as some like to say) by bishops, emperors, or anyone else living years, decades, or centuries after the last book of the Bible (Revelation) was written (by the end of the first century), they are thus necessarily referring to something that is not the Bible, and thus to something that is of no authority (however historically interesting or helpful it may be).

I have no grievance against the phrase "The Canon of Scripture", in and of itself; although, so long as by it one is just referring to the Bible, then why not cut the superfluous syllables and just say "the Bible" or "Scripture"?

I've heard people, by the phrase "The Canon of Scripture", mean a list of the books that are the Bible. And they'll say that "The Canon of Scripture" was needed because no one had yet had a list of the books that are the Bible until centuries after the writing of the Bible had already been finished. But that's false, because the Bible, itself, is a list of the books that are it.

Rodger

Matthew 12:22-23 KJV
(22) Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
(23) And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?

Why do they have the notion that the son of David (a term used for the promised Messiah) had power to exercise demons?
You won't find it in the Canon.
But you do in other ancient writings.
I do not know if I can satisfy your question but I will say to you that the context of this Scripture lies in the fact that Jesus has just healed a demon oppressed man who could not see or speak, likely by removing the demon from him.
Suddenly, the man spoke and saw. The change was dramatic, because Matthew reports that the crowd was amazed.

In some cases, people react to Christ's miracles with fear (Mark 5:14–17) or awe (Matthew 8:26–27). This time, the people connect their amazement with the possibility that Jesus might be the long-promised Messiah: the Savior of Israel.

They ask each other, "Can this be the Son of David?" The name "Son of David" was a title reserved for the Messiah. It came from God's promise to David to establish his throne over Israel forever in 1 Samuel 7:16)

Because of Isaiah's prophecies, many Israelites likely associated the time of the Messiah's coming with the healing of the blind, the deaf, the lame, and the mute. Jesus had accomplished all those miracles and many more. Those who witnessed this healing made the correct connection between Jesus' power and the idea that He might be the Messiah, hence the Son of David because of the birth line.

Not everyone who witnesses this will be so reasonable. Some are so committed to disbelief that they'll explain the supernatural act as coming from Satan.

Rodger

The KJV is not without error.
I disagree.

If we read the Bible at face value, without a preconceived bias for finding errors, we will find it to be a coherent, consistent, and relatively easy-to-understand book. Yes, there are difficult passages.
Yes, there are verses that appear to contradict each other.

However, we must remember that the Bible was written by approximately 40 different authors over a period of around 1,500 years. Each writer wrote with a different style, from a different perspective, to a different audience, for a different purpose. We should expect some minor differences. However, a difference is not a contradiction or an error! It is only an error if there is absolutely no conceivable way the verses or passages can be reconciled.