Sexual Orientation is not a Choice

glassjester

No one questions whether or not a homosexual OR heterosexual can remain celibate for the rest of their lives. The concern, for those with compassion, would be the emotional turmoil of being alone based solely on the expectation of others.

You believe in immutable "orientations." There's no reason to believe in that nonsense. When I say it is destructive for a person to define himself by his physical desires, I am denouncing heterosexuality and homosexuality. Orientations are an accidental deception. This concept of building your identity around taste in partners didn't even exist before the late 1800's.

Daniel1611

The Bible says people become homosexuals because they have rejected the LORD, they are so far into their wickedness that God allows them to become reprobate. That's how people are homosexual.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You believe in immutable "orientations."

Indeed ... and you haven't presented any relevant facts to support your position.

Not that I care that you have that *opinion*, so long as it is not legally enforced.

glassjester

The Bible says people become homosexuals because they have rejected the LORD, they are so far into their wickedness that God allows them to become reprobate. That's how people are homosexual.

There's no concept of "a homosexual" in the Bible. It's a modern invention. There are sodomites, but this term described their behavior, not an "orientation," because there is no such thing.

There is no description of a person that was born with only the capability of being sexually attracted to people of the same gender, in the Bible.

That, by the way, is the reason that homosexual behavior could even be considered sinful at all. Because people knew they had a choice. No men in Sodom thought they could only be attracted to other men. They knew what natural, rational sexual desire was. They freely chose against it.

Orientation Shmorientation.

Daniel1611

There's no concept of "a homosexual" in the Bible. It's a modern invention. There are sodomites, but this term described their behavior, not an "orientation," because there is no such thing.

There is no description of a person that was born with only the capability of being sexually attracted to people of the same gender, in the Bible.

That, by the way, is the reason that homosexual behavior could even be considered sinful at all. Because people knew they had a choice. No men in Sodom thought they could only be attracted to other men. They knew what natural, rational sexual desire was. They freely chose against it.

Orientation Shmorientation.

Agreed

glassjester

Yes, I have. Do you remember the moment when you made the choice to be heterosexual?

I didn't. Sexual orientation is an illusion.

I did choose to get married, though.
Are you sure you read the thread? This is a little repetitive.

glassjester

So, heterosexuality doesn't exist according to you. Okay.

There is no such thing as a sexual orientation. Right. I stated this much in the opening post.

I am aware you do not agree; but you've read this. I've provided reason for my belief over the past thirty pages.

Many people do, for whatever reason. Marriage doesn't require any particular skill ...

Skill? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

glassjester

:think: Because it's a position that many Christians seem to support.

That's, quite literally, legalism. Legalism can change behavior, but it can't change the person.

Christ's Sermon on the Mount marks a drastic shift from legalistic ethics to virtue ethics. In Christianity, the person is made new, not just their actions.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I noticed that you added "for a Christian" at the end of that sentence.

Does this mean you believe that homosexuality is an acceptable lifestyle for non-Christians?

I noticed you didn't read my whole post. Go back and read it as I already answered your question.

Tinark

And this is where your delusions become positively dangerous. Ideas like yours spread much evil throughout the world.