Should voting be mandatory?

Arthur Brain

Someone from another nation might ask you the same thing.

These are at the top of your current thread list. I'm sure there's lots more.

So if you were consistent, I'm sure you'd be interested in a view from outside the country looking in.

Be fair anna, he is consistent...

At dropping himself in it.

:eek:

Tyrathca

Not really, if one recognizes that the people who make up the EC are anything but like minded or neutral people. They all comprise of people from different ends of the political spectrum, who were chosen by people we vote for.
Thats not as reassuring as you seem to think it is. Theoretically it only takes a few to "go rogue" to change an election result and what is to stop them doing it for their own political ends or a few well hidden bribes? The answer is very little since they face little to no repercussions for their choice.

But hey if you're happy to just leave it all to trusting a bunch of unaccountable faceless men.... It just strikes me as a risky way to run a democracy.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Tyrathca

And what nation are you from?
Australia ??

Our system is far from perfect either but there are a few aspects that I think your country would benefit from borrowing. Conversely there are some things from your country which I definitely think my country would benefit from borrowing too.
So your opinion matters...why?
Same reasons your opinion matters on anything else? Or in your opinion are only American's (or just you?!?) entitled to opinions about things beyond your own borders?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
But hey if you're happy to just leave it all to trusting a bunch of unaccountable faceless men.... It just strikes me as a risky way to run a democracy.

America is not a pure democracy, and it has never chose wrong. The Founding Fathers knew what they were doing, it is easier to rig a popular election than an electoral college. Ask Hillary :plain:

The liberals in the UK would have maybe done well if they had the system we had- Brexit was decided by, what, 3 percent?-
you really like to have countries make monumental decisions on such small majorities?

Here in America, '50/50' doesn't sit well for large matters. The most important of things, such as a change in the US Constitution, requires a 75% vote (gun control :chuckle:), and matters below that a 2/3 vote.
The philosophy is about protecting interests from sudden surges of pubic opinion or reaction.

Last edited:

Daniel1769

Oh your the "it's all evil" type. She you tear down government with wishful thinking what system of government would you like to replace it?

None. When Jesus comes back, He can rule the earth with a rod of iron from His throne.

Saxon Hammer

No, because not voting is a vote. A vote off no faith or confidence. We the people are the political hostages of a mass-corporate coup. Mandates to vote would only add insult to injury.

No voting is not a vote in anyway - There should be a 'No vote' option on all voting papers so that this 'no confidence' vote can be registered. If not try a big black marker and 'X' you voting slip this may cause you personally a problem however if the remaining 60% of the population did vote like this the message would be clear.

Most non-voting is due to lack of confidence in ones own choice and/or in the system and plain laziness.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
On topic - I do think voting should be part of our society's right of passage to adulthood and should be compulsory.
Not unless you couple it with passing a standardized test like every legal immigrant has to pass to be recognized as an informed citizen. Do you really want people who can't find D.C. on a map or tell you who their state senators are being pushed into voting booths? You think they're going to suddenly invest in becoming informed members of the electorate, making careful and deliberate choices? Or do you think we'll get the political equivalent of Boaty McBoatface?

Saxon Hammer

Not unless you couple it with passing a standardized test like every legal immigrant has to pass to be recognized as an informed citizen. Do you really want people who can't find D.C. on a map or tell you who their state senators are being pushed into voting booths? You think they're going to suddenly invest in becoming informed members of the electorate, making careful and deliberate choices? Or do you think we'll get the political equivalent of Boaty McBoatface?

Yes I agree - However as I referred to the right of passage to adulthood the correct statement now would be.

Society needs to teach their young to be more mindful of politics as part of the passage to adulthood if the current path would lead to the outcome you have suggested. This is a little off topic as it about our children and their ability to shoulder their true burden when becoming adult.

Also - just a note I am not American and this topic is not restricted to the U.S.A. as far as I am aware so some of the more colourful rhetoric that is purely based on mood and feeling of your (another's) individual society is not always readily understood - So I have to ignore potential information because it is delivered in this fashion. I do not like doing that with people's posts but I find it the only way to cope with the emotional context that is always part of comment ('colourful rhetoric').

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
upstate new york - about as rural as you can get in the state - I'm right on the canadian border

a traffic jam for me is when two amish buggies are in the road at the same time :chuckle:

Saxon Hammer

upstate new york - about as rural as you can get in the state - I'm right on the canadian border

a traffic jam for me is when two amish buggies are in the road at the same time :chuckle:

I would love to live there - It is all teenage wanna-be gangsters and rush and efficiency (which is NOT when applied to people) here 20 miles out of Cambridge - England - UK

Childlike

I'm in Australia and deeply resent having to leave my home to be seen to vote for someone I know to be lying to me. Compulsory voting for lying sociopaths?

NO NO NO

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Well, of course Obama wants this; Stupid people overwhelmingly vote liberal

You have it backwards.

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it.
John Stuart Mill

Do smart people tend to be more liberal? Yes, but it doesn’t mean all conservatives are stupid.

A conservative person also subscribes to conventional religious beliefs and has a sense of belonging to and pride in a group with which they identify. The same person is likely to be less open to intellectual challenges and will be seen as a responsible “good citizen” at work and in society, while expressing rather harsh views toward those outside their group.

Up to 16% of “conservative syndrome” is reportedly due to low cognitive ability.

Overall, smart people tend to be socially liberal in their outlook. It was also found that countries whose citizens score low on international tests of mathematics achievement tend to be more conservative in their political outlooks and policies.

https://theconversation.com/do-smar...oesnt-mean-all-conservatives-are-stupid-57713

Research pretty much backs up what Mill wrote. Conservatives aren't necessarily stupid, but stupid people are generally conservative.