Sickness and the right to end one's life

Evoken

Recently there was a news item with a rather moving story of a 29 year old woman with terminal cancer who has made the decision to end her life. Here is the story in question:

Twenty-nine-year-old Brittany Maynard is going to die on November 1. She knows that for certain because it's the date she's chosen to end her life.

After going to the doctor with painful headaches earlier this year, Maynard was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Doctors predicted she had 10 years to live. But just three months later, her tumor had grown significantly, even after surgery. Maynard had glioblastoma, the deadliest form of brain cancer. At best, she would only survive another few months.

After reviewing her limited options, Maynard decided that choosing to end her life was the best option for her. She said it took time for her family to fully accept her decision.

"It took people a while to come around to agreeing with me," Maynard told ABC. "Those who love you are never going to jump on board right away."

So she and her husband left their home in the San Francisco Bay Area and moved to Oregon, one of the five states in the U.S. that have "death with dignity" laws.

"We all just realized that I am terminally ill and I'm dying and I would just prefer to die with less pain and less suffering," Maynard said.

Maynard will die at home, peacefully, with her husband and loved ones by her side. She will end her own life using medication prescribed to her by a doctor.

Source

The right of a person to end their own life in this manner, also known as physician assisted suicide, is a topic which like abortion and same sex marriage has people divided, those who support and those who oppose it. What's your position on this subject?

Evo

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Personally, I have no opposition to her wishes, and I even have somewhat respect for her decision.
She's not changing the outcome of the situation, just changing the duration of the suffering and helplessness that would befall her family.

Truster

Suicide is a word that is used to try and take away the sovereign right of the Almighty to destroy whom He has chosen to destroy.No man has ever had a say in his entering into time and no man has any say in his departure from time.

The wages of sin is death and the means of death is in the hands of the Eternal Almighty.

Evoken

Personally, I have no opposition to her wishes, and I even have somewhat respect for her decision.
She's not changing the outcome of the situation, just changing the duration of the suffering and helplessness that would befall her family.

I agree and I think it is a rather brave decision.

There seems to be a concern about this issue (physician assisted suicide) raised by those who are against it. It involves insurance companies and the fear that if this is made legal, it will eventually lead to healthcare providers suggesting this option to people on a purely financial basis (for the sake of savings) and that people who are not perceived to add value to society, such as the chronically ill, will eventually be "targeted" for euthanasia. These sort of companies are known for their greed, so it is easy to see how they could fall into that sort of thinking.

I am basically paraphrasing some comments that I've seen on this story, I think it is something to think about.

Evo

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

There seems to be a concern about this issue (physician assisted suicide) raised by those who are against it. It involves insurance companies and the fear that if this is made legal, it will eventually lead to healthcare providers suggesting this option to people on a purely financial basis (for the sake of savings) and that people who are not perceived to add value to society, such as the chronically ill, will eventually be "targeted" for euthanasia. These sort of companies are known for their greed, so it is easy to see how they could fall into that sort of thinking.

I am basically paraphrasing some comments that I've seen on this story, I think it is something to think about.

Evo
True.
The implications of the decision of who to give control to could easily be turned into a monstrosity.
The good intentions of some rules can sometimes be used to enforce what the original intention of the rule was not meant for.

Evoken

Everyday we make choices which affect our longevity.

Do you mind elaborating a bit on that? Is it your view that a person such as the one in the story of the OP should be allowed to end her life? Or are you against that, like Truster above?

Evo

Sandycane

I think she is very brave... and I am glad to know that there are states that allow that - just in case...

When we do it for our beloved pets, we call it the "humane" thing to do.
Why shouldn't humane also apply to humans?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think she is very brave... and I am glad to know that there are states that allow that - just in case...

Good point.
Except that it is not the pet doing the choosing.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

Oh my . . .

Because the soul/spirit of animals were not created in the image of God. They possess no everlasting soul-life.

But humans were created in body and soul in the image of God, and are are forbidden to kill the everlasting life and soul, God has given them.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

I disagree.

It is an unfaithful, non-believiing, and forbidden decision . . . man is not allowed to play God!

Only God Almighty determines all matters of life and death and the fate of human souls.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Recently there was a news item with a rather moving story of a 29 year old woman with terminal cancer who has made the decision to end her life. Here is the story in question:

Source

The right of a person to end their own life in this manner, also known as physician assisted suicide, is a topic which like abortion and same sex marriage has people divided, those who support and those who oppose it. What's your position on this subject?

Evo

I don't see anything positive about this woman slowly and painfully wasting away when the outcome will be the same, as long as it is her choice.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I don't see anything positive about this woman slowly and painfully wasting away when the outcome will be the same, as long as it is her choice.

Of course you wouldn't . . . you do not respect the human soul created by God, and you do not trust in God to keep souls.

You view humans no differently than you do animals, for you do not believe that God exists, let alone that God created men in His own image.

Persons should beware when their opinions on these matters, align with ungodly and atheistic opinions.

Such is a glaring spiritual warning, that they are being deceived by the devil, and advocating choosing death over life.

That is Satan's M.O.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
:yawn:

That's interesting ... and as usual, your insignificant opinion has been duly noted ...

Sour grapes, from one who does not have a significant other . . .

My opinion is held in high esteem by mine . . . Jesus Christ. :cloud9:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sour grapes

I know ... and perhaps someday you will grow out of that. Now then, rather than disrupting yet another thread to attack me, perhaps you can stick to the topic of the OP.

Evoken

I disagree.

It is an unfaithful, non-believiing, and forbidden decision . . . man is not allowed to play God!

Only God Almighty determines all matters of life and death and the fate of human souls.

Going by your own theology, it is God who put her in this situation. The person in the story of the OP won't recover from her illness; all that awaits her is a slow and painful deterioration and suffering that culminates in death. If she is ending her life both to avoid suffering herself and to not subject her family to prolonged suffering and financial drain, would your God condemn her to eternal suffering? Or would he sympathise with the decision and welcome her unto his abode?

Evo

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I know ... and perhaps someday you will grow out of that. Now then, rather than disrupting yet another thread to attack me, perhaps you can stick to the topic of the OP.

No, Rusha, this thread is not all about you, nor are my responses.

You do not believe in God, so you will post ungodly advice.

Godly souls should be warned if they find themselves in agreement with you.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Going by your own theology, it is God who put her in this situation. The person in the story of the OP won't recover from her illness; all that awaits her is a slow and painful deterioration and suffering that culminates in death. If she is ending her life both to avoid suffering herself and to not subject her family to prolonged suffering and financial drain, would your God condemn her to eternal suffering? Or would he sympathise with the decision and welcome her unto his abode?

Evo

Well, just compare her to the Lord Jesus Christ, who put Himself into a slow and painful death, in subjection and obedience to His Father. What was the result of that?

God has put this woman in her position, and she will either show love and faith in God for doing so, and inherit everlasting life, or she will usurp God's sovereignty, kill her self, and suffer everlasting hellfire.

Why do you conceive that hoping and praying for the latter is better than hoping and praying for the former?

Do any of us know more than God? Do any of us have the right to question God's dealings with men?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nobody has the right to end life. The government has no rights period, they have authority. And they are not to end life unless it is justice. People have the right to life, not death. Death is the curse, not a right.

The medical staff can make her life more comfortable. And of course treat the cancer correctly. She didn't cancer because she lake radiation in her body. But that is sadly, a different political topic.