Southern Baptists to abandon public schools?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
From http://www.lewrockwell.com/yates/yates94.html

Pertinent quote:
A resolution recently submitted to the Southern Baptist Convention for its annual meeting to be held in Indianapolis on June 15–16 calls on parents in this country’s largest Protestant denomination to pull their children out of government schools, and either homeschool them or send them to private Christian schools.

To adopt the resolution would be a radical step for Southern Baptists, who have always assumed that Christianity and government education were compatible. However, given the tailspin government schools have been in during the past few decades, when the Southern Baptist Convention holds its annual meeting in Indianapolis beginning on June 15, the nation’s largest Christian denomination might just reconsider its stance. If it does, we can expect shock waves to reverberate through this country’s education establishment.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Good riddance, says I.

I'm originally from the Deep South, where you can't swing a cat without hitting a Southern Baptist, and my experience has been that Southern Baptists are among the most backward, provincial and intellectually sterile people on the planet.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

I'm glad they're doing this but it should have happened a long time ago.
Agreed!

Nevertheless, it is still surprising and encouraging. I wonder if the resolution will actually be adopted.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Noelpark03

They're already been out of public schools for years--Just showing up but living of the world, not in it.

...depends on who talk to, I guess.

billwald

The public schools are the primary means the rich people use to keep us stupid. They do not educate. Their purpose is to provide warm bodies for the local job market.

Mr Jack

Modern, technologically based economies require an well-educated workforce to flourish. Such a workforce requires a consistent and scientifically strong education.

If a large portion of America's population removes their children from publically funded education then publically funded education will collapse. With publically funded education the required workforce with dwindle and thus america's place in the world will dwindle. That, in turn, will feed back upon itself (for example, if America ceases to be an important world power, how much longer will prices be in dollars? And how much longer will Japan continue to prop up your currency?) and America will be screwed.

Public education certainly has big problems - problems that are most evident in America and Britain; continental europe does a far better job - but it is still preferable to not having public education at all.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Mr Jack

If a large portion of America's population removes their children from publically funded education then publically funded education will collapse.
If only!

But just because students are removed doesn't mean money is removed, unfortunately. Property taxes aren't optional. If anything, you would have more money per student every time a kid is not sent to public school.

So how do you come to your conclusion?

Mr Jack

Sure, as it stands. How long do you think that situation will continue if a large portion of people aren't sending their kids to public school?