taoist's SPotD 9-3-2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

taoist

Though I've never given a POTD honor, and frankly never expected to do so, this post by ThePhy is of a standard I do not expect to see rivaled ever again on TOL. Congratulations, ThePhy.

Because of its length, I'm posting here just enough to encourage those with time to read the entire post in its proper context.

As requested

ThePhy said:
Being Swept into Battle​
My first impression at seeing this thread was WHAT? Bob is as deep as he has ever been in a theological debate, and he has time to compose a post this long and detailed on a subject completely apart from the debate subject. Miracles most assuredly have not ceased. My surprise received partial answer when I was privately contacted with the information that Bob feels this question may have relevance to the debate he is involved in.

To what I hope is a very minor degree, I seem to have been swept from the position of a silent observer to a pawn in the shadows on the outskirts of this theological contest. And I hadn’t even said which side I was rooting for. I have just learned battles are dangerous and should only be viewed from very great distances.

Some Questions are Worth Asking​

Bob’s post starting this thread is rather long, and the question an excellent one. Long before he gave voice to this question, it was likewise proposed by some of the best physicists, and often occurs to physics students in their studies. It has elicited a number of responses in this thread. I will not comment on those, even though several have done a good job of touching on the same ideas as I do. A quick-and-simple reply to Bob from me would leave as many questions as it answered. I don’t think it necessary, or even advisable to turn this thread into a tutorial on Relativity. Bob himself has touched on the essence of the issues involved.
:first:

Lovejoy

The one thing *gurgle* that I definitely discovered *spit* by reading that post *struggles*, is that I am *sinking* completely out of my depth *drowns*.

Lovejoy

There really are some brilliant people here. It is not as if I have not taken a number of science courses, or have not tried to follow the ideas, I am just not qualified to have any sort of useful opinion on the matter. But it is interesting to watch those guys go!

Army of One

Ahhh. Yet another instance in which I am reminded of my own lack of knowledge on a a technical subject. There's nothing like being in completely over my head to keep me humble. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.