Tell Me Again How Public Schools are Cesspools of Atheism

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Did Clete say "universal public schooling", 'cause I don't remember that. I remember him saying "This country became the greatest nation in the history of the world without a public school system", which as we've seen, is wrong. :think:

and we did become a great nation well before most of the population had access to public schooling

Ben Masada

How exactly do you think science curricula should be set?

With the truth as long as it is possible. If a teacher or a professor is not sure of what he wants to say, he or she must add, according to this or that source and never leave the students certain that what he or she said is for a fact. Besides, both sides of the issue must be mentioned if one is to be mentioned at all. Students have freewill too and the right to make their own choices of the view they want to adopt.

ok doser

By what measure was the US a "great nation" between independence and the Civil War?

Economic+history+of+world.png

by the civil war we had a greater share than france and looks like we tied with britain and india

china's a monster :noway:

Jose Fly

Economic+history+of+world.png

by the civil war we had a greater share than france and looks like we tied with britain and india

So let's use that to evaluate Clete's claim that the US became a great nation without public schools. As the Wiki page we've both linked to explains, prior to the civil war there were public schools in the northern states, but it wasn't until about the Civil War era that public school systems became widespread across all the states. Now, compare the US GDP between about 1750 and 1850 (100 years) to the GDP between 1870 and 1970 (100 years). Adopting your reasoning where GDP is a measure of a country's greatness, and is a way to evaluate the efficacy of its education system, then we must conclude that the public school system in the US has been a fantastic success.

Thanks for making my point for me. :up:

ok doser

So let's use that to evaluate Clete's claim that the US became a great nation without public schools. As the Wiki page we've both linked to explains, prior to the civil war there were public schools in the northern states, but it wasn't until about the Civil War era

no, well after

1870's

that public school systems became widespread across all the states. Now, compare the US GDP between about 1750 and 1850 (100 years) to the GDP between 1870 and 1970 (100 years). Adopting your reasoning where GDP is a measure of a country's greatness, and is a way to evaluate the efficacy of its education system, then we must conclude that the public school system in the US has been a fantastic success.

Thanks for making my point for me. :up:

your point was that since 1950 the us public school system has been progressively failing?

:thumb:

PureX

By what measure was the US a "great nation" between independence and the Civil War?
That was the era of the plantation owners. We were selling tobacco and hemp by the boatloads, and thanks to slave labor, the big plantation-owners were raking in the dough hand over fist. What really made us "great" in the years between 1776 and 1860 was slavery. Not education.

Jose Fly

That was the era of the plantation owners. We were selling tobacco and hemp by the boatloads, and thanks to slave labor, the big plantation-owners were raking in the dough hand over fist. What really made us "great" in the years between 1776 and 1860 was slavery. Not education.

I know that, you know that, and most sane people know that. But remember, we're adopting Clete and doser's reasoning here that the way to measure both the US's greatness and educational system is by GDP.

It's silly, but then look who we're dealing with.

ok doser

:doh:

read The Age of Jackson by Schlessinger and appreciate the rise of industrialism in the north and its impact on the slavery position in the pre-war period, especially wrt the desire by working class whites to not compete with freed blacks for scarce jobs

what really made us great was immigration, a supply of labor cheaper than slavery

ok doser

I know that, you know that, and most sane people know that. But remember, we're adopting Clete and doser's reasoning here that the way to measure both the US's greatness and educational system is by GDP.

you asked me "by what measure"

gdp was the first thing that came to mind

you got something better?

ok doser

And it ended up contradicting Clete's argument.

it showed that we grew great during the pre-1870 period before universal public education

Didn't do that at all.

of course you did

you went from arguing against Clete's claim that the US became a great nation without public schools, which my gdp graph proved to be true, to arguing that the us continued to become greater later

and you thought it wouldn't be noticed :chuckle:

Jose Fly

it showed that we grew great during the pre-1870 period before universal public education

LOL! And by the same measure, we grew really, really, really great once universal public education was established.

you went from arguing against Clete's claim that the US became a great nation without public schools

Which we know is false because 1) there were public schools during that period, and 2) by your chosen measure (GDP) the effect multiplied immensely as public education spread and became commonplace.

which my gdp graph proved to be true

If you really think that, there's something fundamentally wrong with you.

to arguing that the us continued to become greater later

No, it's the same argument. Remember, Clete argued that the US became great without public schools. My argument is that he's wrong, and we know this because 1) there were public schools during that period (independence to the Civil War), and 2) by your chosen measure (GDP) the effect multiplied immensely as public education spread and became commonplace.

I know your tribalism and pride won't allow you to admit that you've lost this one, but this is pretty straight forward. If you're going to argue that the GDP growth between 1770 and 1870 is an indication of the US's greatness and its education system, then you have to accept that by your own measure (GDP growth), the US became even greater once public education became universal.

Well, I suppose you can keep denying it if you like, but all that does is provide entertainment fodder. :popcorn:

ok doser

LOL! And by the same measure, we grew really, really, really great once universal public education was established.

which doesn't disprove clete's claim :idunno:

and, you're ignoring the inflection point at 1950

Which we know is false blablablabla

sorry jo, i forgot you were a retard :loser: