Test is Last Chance for Teachers

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/1051.htm

July 20, 2003 -- Thousands of city public school teachers who've flunked their aptitude and skills license exams tried to pass the tests again yesterday in what could be their final bid to save their jobs.
About 2,500 teachers failed the Liberal Arts Science Test (LAST) earlier this year. The test consists of multiple-choice questions and a written essay.

Meanwhile 2,078 teachers flunked the Assessment of Teaching Skills-Written (ATS-W) exam, which quizzes candidates about instructional practices. Test-takers are usually asked to respond to a classroom situation as well as answer multiple-choice questions.

Some teachers have failed numerous times.

And, these are the people responsible for teaching our children? Sounds to me like they know less than they should (if not less than the students) about the subjects they are teaching.

Crow

Truly pathetic.
My nephew goes to a public school. He hates school because he's bright and he's bored. There are some "special" kids in his class, and he says the teacher spends so much time with 2 or 3 kids while the others fidget and doodle.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Crow
Truly pathetic.
My nephew goes to a public school. He hates school because he's bright and he's bored. There are some "special" kids in his class, and he says the teacher spends so much time with 2 or 3 kids while the others fidget and doodle.

I had the same problem with Jess. That's why we homeschool.

Crow

My nephew's mom just isn't able to homeschool--her talents lie in other fields. It's a shame that a whole generation is cheated out of a good education because some well-meaning fools put their hairbrained theories into practice. When the theories didn't pan out, instead of going back to what worked, they just thew some more hairbrained ideas into the mix, and now we have schools where kids are taught social and moral concepts that are best taught at home, and reading, math, history and science do not get the emphasis they deserve. Schools where discipline is wildly erratic. Schools where kids are just passed on to the next grade whether they have achieved competence in their present grade or not. Kids that enter the job market and find out the hard way that competence is necessary to succeed, and no one gives a damn about your self esteem when a job needs to be done.
What a hellish legacy.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Crow
My nephew's mom just isn't able to homeschool--her talents lie in other fields. It's a shame that a whole generation is cheated out of a good education because some well-meaning fools put their hairbrained theories into practice. When the theories didn't pan out, instead of going back to what worked, they just thew some more hairbrained ideas into the mix, and now we have schools where kids are taught social and moral concepts that are best taught at home, and reading, math, history and science do not get the emphasis they deserve. Schools where discipline is wildly erratic. Schools where kids are just passed on to the next grade whether they have achieved competence in their present grade or not. Kids that enter the job market and find out the hard way that competence is necessary to succeed, and no one gives a damn about your self esteem when a job needs to be done.
What a hellish legacy.

While I don't look down on your sister (in-law?) for not homeschooling, your statement makes me extremely glad that I homeschool.

Crow

Yes, your kid is lucky, Nori. She doesn't have to sit at a desk while a bunch of passed-on boors who have no intrest in learning cut up and disrupt the class.
While I believe an education should be available to everyone, I don't think that the public school as it exists today is a good setting. I think that when a parent decides to home school, the school district should have to give them the part of their budget that would have been spent on that child so that the parent may purchase school supplies, computers, take the child on educational trips to the museum or whatever, and to spend on any expenses that arise from home schooling.
Maybe if a significant number of kids were pulled out and homeschooled, it would be enough of a kick in the butt to the school system to induce them to reconsider their methods. And they could quit whining about how overcrowed their classes are.