The Book of Revelation: Mystery Or Profitable?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Yes that is what I am saying. With the exception that I would say "does not mean that God being omniscient is borrowed from the pagans" No matter what someone attributes to the inner workings of Augustine's mind or anyone else's.

We aren't talking about deities. We are talking about God.

Duh. The problem is when you take concepts/attributes that originated with pagan deities, and apply them to God as if they describe Him.

That God is omniscient is self evident in His self revelation.

Saying it doesn't make it so, and I have presented plenty of evidence from scripture to the contrary.

He could not do what He has done and is doing if He did not know everything.

In other words, you're saying that God could not be God if he was not omniscient?

So therefore, God could not be God if he did not know about you, Arial, for His entire existence?

You make yourself into a necessary being, which is blasphemy. GOD is the only Necessary Being. Not you.

Can you honestly say with any scriptural backup that Jesus or any of the apostles, or OT saints did not know that God is omniscient?

Jesus is God.

Jesus does not know the day nor the hour of His own return.

Therefore He cannot know everything.

So yes, I can honestly say, with scripture backing me up, that God is not omniscient.

It is utterly irrelevant to the omniscience of God what Augustine's mother said to him or told him to do.

IT'S ENTIRELY RELEVANT!

It's practically the main reason Augustine introduced the concept that God is omniscient into Christian theology that you believe it today!

In any case, Augustine grew considerably over time in his theology.

It isn't. You simply don't wish to address it.

Wrong. Covenants and sacrifices are not what we are talking about. Ergo, not relevant to this discussion about God's attributes.

He shows Himself to be,

Saying it doesn't make it so.

and He most certainly declares Himself to be.

No, He doesn't declare Himself to be omniscient.

You find scriptures like the one above, that if interpreted the way you do, contradict a massive amount of things that are said clearly in the Bible.

Rather than try and solve the paradox, which could take some time and effort, you choose the one you want to believe and discard the rest. That's a fact JR.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Abraham was put to a test by God, not to find out what he would do, but to test: a procedure intended to establish the quality of in this case Abraham's faith.

If Abraham's faith was not of the quality God desired, then he would not (there's that "would do" part that you just denied) have been able to raise his hand against Isaac.

And it is presented to us in language and manner that humans can understand, also known as anthropomorphic language.

Why wouldn't it be?

It teaches us something about God, but not what you took from it.

What if He gets so fed up with us that He changes His mind?

He won't. Or do you, as Clete said, put more faith in God because of what He CANNOT do, than what He CAN do?

And anyway that does not address all the things He says He knows in the Bible (including everything),

Men are also said to be "all knowing." Yes, human beings.

and it only addresses salvation. What about the many covenant promises He made to Israel regarding their protection and care? How could He promise to feed them from the sixth year harvest , through no harvest in the seventh, and no harvest till harvest time of the eighth if He did not know everything?

Because God is capable of doing just that.

As I said, you have more faith in God because of what He cannot do, rather than what He CAN do.

God knows everything because He governs everything.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Duh. The problem is when you take concepts/attributes that originated with pagan deities, and apply them to God as if they describe Him.

Saying it doesn't make it so, and I have presented plenty of evidence from scripture to the contrary.

In other words, you're saying that God could not be God if he was not omniscient?

So therefore, God could not be God if he did not know about you, Arial, for His entire existence?

You make yourself into a necessary being, which is blasphemy. GOD is the only Necessary Being. Not you.

Jesus is God.

Jesus does not know the day nor the hour of His own return.

Therefore He cannot know everything.

So yes, I can honestly say, with scripture backing me up, that God is not omniscient.

IT'S ENTIRELY RELEVANT!

It's practically the main reason Augustine introduced the concept that God is omniscient into Christian theology that you believe it today!

Wrong. Covenants and sacrifices are not what we are talking about. Ergo, not relevant to this discussion about God's attributes.

No, He doesn't declare Himself to be omniscient.

Brilliant post!

The part about Ariel making herself into a contingent being will go over her head. She won't understand what you're talking about at all.

glorydaz

My goodness. What a wonderful mutual admiration society. :ROFLMAO:

Being God, Jesus was able to hold the entire world together AND KNOW the time of His return IN HIS DEITY. He chose, in His humanity, to not know everything. Being God is not something that was lost when Jesus walked among us as God manifest in the flesh.

glorydaz

"Saying it does not make it so" is a worn out phrase at best.

As brilliant as you guys are you should be able to come up with something new. :unsure:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Being God, Jesus was able to hold the entire world together AND KNOW the time of His return IN HIS DEITY. He chose, in His humanity, to not know everything. Being God is not something that was lost when Jesus walked among us as God manifest in the flesh.

I don't think God the Father has even made the decision yet on when Jesus should return, and thus, Jesus cannot know it yet, because it hasn't been decided.

God is free to decide when Christ will return.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
"Saying it does not make it so" is a worn out phrase at best.
Its frequency of use is directly proportional to the frequency of unsubstantiated claims being made in this forum.

As brilliant as you guys are you should be able to come up with something new. :unsure:
That's a laugh since the contingent being argument was made first by Bob Enyart only months before his death (i.e. several months ago).

It's one of the most eloquent arguments against Augustinian doctrine that can be made because it uses the very same Aristotelian premises that are used to supposedly establish classical divine sovereignty. In other words, it forces the Augustinian to choose which Aristotelian philosophy to throw over board, either one of which deconstructs the entire philosophical construct of Augustinian theology (i.e. the Classical understanding of the "Omni" doctrines). It's proof that its false - PROOF! If the word "proof" has any meaning at all, that argument is what it looks like. In short, no God that actually exists can be omniscient AND sovereign. Oops!

Clete

glorydaz

I don't think God the Father has even made the decision yet on when Jesus should return, and thus, Jesus cannot know it yet, because it hasn't been decided.

God is free to decide when Christ will return.
Nice. You actually made a point that makes sense.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Gary K

Banned
The Structure of Revelation

Revelation shares some of the characteristics we see in the apocalyptic literature that we see in Ezekiel, Daniel, and Zechariah. It contains visions with many symbolic elements. It is a beautiful weaving together an intricate combination a sequence of events, and themes of the rest of scripture, using visual images and and verbal promises and warnings.

The most important event that history is working towards is the second coming of Christ. In Revelation we find visions of His second coming seven times. There are seven cycles of judgement, each leading to His second coming. The eighth and final vision shows the New Jerusalem, which is the consummate state on the other side of the second coming. So the cycles of judgment parallel each other. They all cover the same time period leading to His second coming, each from a distinct vantage point.

Revelation is organised in sevens. Seven churches, seven spirits, seven golden lampstands, seven stars, seven torches of fire, seven seals, seven horns of the Lamb, seven eyes of the Lamb, seven angels with trumpets, seven trumpets, seven thunders, seven plagues, seven golden bowls. Seven cycles of judgment.
Seven in the Bible represents completeness or wholeness. It is 3 (the number of God---Father, Son, Holy Spirit) plus 4 (four winds, four corners of the earth) which represents all of creation. So the number seven becomes significant in its use. It is representing something, not simply as a number itself. There are other numbers used the same way in Revelation that will change what is taken literally, such as 144,00, and a thousand years, and bring forth other possibilities rather than a literal interpretation. That will become apparent down the road.
Did you realize that pretertism and and futurism are inventions of the Jesuits? Just thought I'd tell you as I reject both of those ways of understanding prophecy. I'm a historicist which was the only way of understanding before and during the Reformation.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Why would anyone want to do that who views scripture from a different perspective? Just so they can be insulted?

To avoid confirmation bias.

Getting a second opinion allows you to have confidence that your beliefs are correct, rather than just assuming they are and having a greater chance that they're wrong.

It also might give you a different perspective on something you might be struggling with, solving an issue that your current views cannot resolve.

It has the added benefit of keeping you intellectually honest.

If you feel insulted by someone's position, maybe it's because you've set yourself up to be insulted.

Gary K

Banned
To avoid confirmation bias.

Getting a second opinion allows you to have confidence that your beliefs are correct, rather than just assuming they are and having a greater chance that they're wrong.

It also might give you a different perspective on something you might be struggling with, solving an issue that your current views cannot resolve.

It has the added benefit of keeping you intellectually honest.

If you feel insulted by someone's position, maybe it's because you've set yourself up to be insulted.
I'm never insulted by someone else's position. Why should I be insulted by what they believe? That's ridiculous. It appears as though you are though or you wouldn't despise people whose beliefs are different than yours.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I'm never insulted by someone else's position. Why should I be insulted by what they believe?

You're the one who said:

Why would anyone want to do that who views scripture from a different perspective? Just so they can be insulted?

That's ridiculous. It appears as though you are though or you wouldn't despise people whose beliefs are different than yours.

Bearing false witness is a sin, Gary.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm never insulted by someone else's position. Why should I be insulted by what they believe? That's ridiculous. It appears as though you are though or you wouldn't despise people whose beliefs are different than yours.
I believe and my firm position is that you are in the top ten most stupid people to ever post on TOL.

Insulted yet?