The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think Kent Hovind is often wrong. But he seems to have a good idea here:

Let's not forget that the flat earth society was started entirely by people that were not fundamentalist Christian.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
This seems an impossible task. I don't see as yet how I can personally take either side with full confidence. I have been studying this for a while now hoping for a way to confirm to my satisfaction either GE or FE.

Other than doing what Knight has suggested, taking a trip to outer space, I don't know how anyone can be absolutely convinced.

Ready to consider my infallible proof yet?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Been gone a couple a months now and you globe theory believers have yet to prove anything.

Two ship captains sailed 70,000 miles around the earth "supposedly below" the equator where it should have been less than the 24,900 mile circumference.

Now I really gotta asked, why shouldn't I be skeptical of anyone that tells me I live on a 24,900 mile in circumference ball?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Been gone a couple a months now and you globe theory believers have yet to prove anything.

Two ship captains sailed 70,000 miles around the earth "supposedly below" the equator where it should have been less than the 24,900 mile circumference.

Now I really gotta asked, why shouldn't I be skeptical of anyone that tells me I live on a 24,900 mile in circumference ball?

I mean, it's not like they couldn't go around multiple times... :idunno:

Why can't you refute the posts made by Clete and the rest of us that show mathematically, even using your side's numbers, that the earth cannot be flat?

Last edited:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Why can't you refute the posts made by Clete and the rest of us that show mathematically, even using your side's numbers, that the earth cannot be flat?

Clete's math does not compute.

The degrees of angles with only the distance of one segment of a triangle cannot give you the distance of the other two segments in a three dimensional setting...
IOW on paper a bumblebee can't fly.
Yet he does.
Same thing with the sun, it's there.
Yet on paper you can't tell exactly where.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Clete's math does not compute.

So you're rejecting basic trigonometry? You're rejecting the Pythagorean Theorem?

Mind, how many degrees do the angles on a triangle add up to? If one of the angles is 90°, making the triangle a right triangle, and another angle is 1° (one), how many degrees is the third angle?

If ∆ABC has sides a, b, and c, and a = 3, b = 4, and ∟C = 90°. What are a, ∠A, and ∠B?

How about this:

∆ABC has ∟C = 90°, ∠A = 1°, and b = 24,901 mi (circumference of earth at the equator).

What are ∠B, side a, and side c?

Could you provide a number you would be happy to call "reliable," or perhaps "accurate," for the height of the sun above the earth in the flat model? I'll designate that as "x" in the following triangle:

Given ∆ABC, where ∟C = 90°, b = 24,901 mi, and side a = x, can you solve for ∠A, ∠B, and side c where ∠A ≤ 6°?

OR

Given ∆ABC, where ∟C = 90°, ∠A ≤ 6°, and side a = x, can you solve for ∠B, side b, and side c, where side b ≤ 24,901 mi?

The degrees of angles with only the distance of one segment of a triangle cannot give you the distance of the other two segments in a three dimensional setting...

Sure you can. I just showed you how.

IOW on paper a bumblebee can't fly.
Yet he does.
Same thing with the sun, it's there.
Yet on paper you can't tell exactly where.

This is a non-sequitur. Another logical fallacy.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
As dumb as the question is, how was I to know.

:AMR:

Both Captains were trained navigators and clearly documented their voyages.
So no, they didn't go around several times.

Another non-sequitur, and even a bit of question begging... That's what ya call a two-fer!

"I know how to drive, therefore I've never driven from Berlin to Moscow."

That's pretty much what you just said, just change the method of travel and the start and end points.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
:AMR:

Another non-sequitur, and even a bit of question begging... That's what ya call a two-fer!

"I know how to drive, therefore I've never driven from Berlin to Moscow."

That's pretty much what you just said, just change the method of travel and the start and end points.

:jazz:

genuineoriginal

Do flat earthers even debate against cartography?

Cartography, the art and science of graphically representing a geographical area, usually on a flat surface such as a map or chart. It may involve the superimposition of political, cultural, or other nongeographical divisions onto the representation of a geographical area.

Cartography is an ancient discipline that dates from the prehistoric depiction of hunting and fishing territories. The Babylonians mapped the world in a flattened, disk-shaped form, but Claudius Ptolemaeus (Ptolemy) established the basis for subsequent efforts in the 2nd century CE with his eight-volume work Geōgraphikē hyphēgēsis (Guide to Geography) that showed a spherical Earth. Maps produced during the Middle Ages followed Ptolemy’s guide, but they used Jerusalem as the central feature and placed East at the top. Those representations are often called T-maps because they show only three continents (Europe, Asia, and Africa), separated by the “T” formed by the Mediterranean Sea and the Nile River. More accurate geographical representation began in the 14th century when portolan (seamen’s) charts were compiled for navigation.

The discovery of the New World by Europeans led to the need for new techniques in cartography, particularly for the systematic representation on a flat surface of the features of a curved surface—generally referred to as a projection (e.g., Mercator projection, cylindrical projection, and Lambert conformal projection). During the 17th and 18th centuries there was a vast outpouring of printed maps of ever-increasing accuracy and sophistication. Systematic surveys were undertaken involving triangulation that greatly improved map reliability and precision. Noteworthy among the scientific methods introduced later was the use of the telescope for determining the length of a degree of longitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.