The Easter Debate ~ Lion and DDW on Eschatology (HOF thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Dee Dee, excellent points made so far, and thanks for the definition of your views.

It’s funny how close our theologies are. The Acts 9 dispensational, open view theology agrees with your first and third points completely. I do have a problem with point number three however. The problem comes with the idea that the destruction of the Temple limits the fulfillment of the rest of the passage to the same time frame. If the tribulation period was stopped prior to the destruction of the temple, then the later destruction of the temple has no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the timeline. However the destruction of the temple does prove problematic for your side, as I will show in a moment.

We Acts 9, dispe, OVer’s believe that the tribulation period began immediately following the crucifixion, but was discontinued due to Israel’s continued rejection of their Messiah.

Here’s the problem with the destruction of the temple that I referred to earlier. I assume you believe in the 70 week prophesy stated by Daniel? If so, how do reconcile that the 69th week was to be immediately followed by the 70th week. In other words, Why didn’t the 7 year tribulation begin immediately after the death of Messiah as prophesized?

Moderator Note: Gavin is back and as this discussion has progressed quite some length I have given it the honor of it's own thread continuing from here.

Last edited by a moderator:

smilax

Interrupting again...
Originally posted by Lion
We Acts 9, dispe, OVer’s believe that the tribulation period began immediately following the crucifixion, but was discontinued due to Israel’s continued rejection of their Messiah.
Sounds like an argument from silence.
In other words, Why didn’t the 7 year tribulation begin immediately after the death of Messiah as prophesized?
I can't speak for her, but I personally do not think what Daniel calls "one week" (the seven-year Jewish War) is the seventieth week, but rather a period of time detached from the seventy. And Jesus progressively revealed this to be within a generation (forty years) of the fulfillment of the seventy weeks.

D

Dee Dee Warren

For the record while I am working on a response to Lion.. I oppose any detachment of the weeks. My answer will not include such a manuever. I hope that Smilax reads what I write and reconsider his position.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Lion

Lion

Smilax-You said;
Sounds like an argument from silence.
In response to my statement about the tribulation period (the time of Jacob’s trouble) starting and then ending. I wasn’t giving proof of that statement at that time, just stating what we believe for the record, (after all we are not futurists).

As to your second point, about the 70th week not following the 69th week, I think I will let your colleague work on that since she seems already to have a more believable answer in waiting.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Lion

Lion

DD-(You know your moniker is the same as one of my boyhood super heroes-Dare Devil).

I know you are busy (lots of moderating, posting, and probably trying to deal with Christmas shopping and every day living as well), so no hurry. I like that you didn’t try the interruption theory, of the 70 week prophesy, at the get go.

Talk soon.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Lion:

I had one other project which I just finished up so I can begin to concentrate on answering your post. I don’t usually have a lot of time during the week to write substantive responses, so I expect that I will not be able to post anything until this weekend, I just wanted to let you know. Also, your response is different from what I usually tackle, so it does take some reflection as I do not care to give “shoot from the hip” responses. I am looking forward to dialoging with you.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Destruction of the Temple

Destruction of the Temple

DD-Great. I had some surgery recently and have some time on my hands, but usually am swamped, so I know how it goes. In fact I am amazed at how you can find the time to post and research as much as you do. You must be a speed-reader, and much faster at typing than I am.

So whenever you get the time, we’ll talk.

novice

Who is the stooge now?
Re: Destruction of the Temple

Re: Destruction of the Temple

DD-Great. I had some surgery recently and have some time on my hands, but usually am swamped, so I know how it goes. In fact I am amazed at how you can find the time to post and research as much as you do. You must be a speed-reader, and much faster at typing than I am.

So whenever you get the time, we’ll talk.
Ahhh... how cordial for a big scary Lion. :)

Come on......... duke it out already!!!! ;)

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Courage

Courage

Did somebody step on my tail…..who was it? Tell me….I’ll beat em up, I’ll beat em up, wuf wuf!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Courage

Re: Courage

Did somebody step on my tail…..who was it? Tell me….I’ll beat em up, I’ll beat em up, wuf wuf!
Uhhh.... I think Jaltus stepped on your tail.

Yea....

I am sure of it. Jaltus stepped on your tail.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
food for Oz

food for Oz

I’m sorta hungry, perhaps a late-Knight snack?

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Back in the saddle again.

Back in the saddle again.

Hey Doc, good to be back.

Jaltus

Hey, is Knight talking about me behind my back?

Or should that be in front of my back?

Hmmm, either way doesn't really work.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Lion.. have I lulled you to sleep yet?

Lion.. have I lulled you to sleep yet?

Dear Lion:

Phew! I have finally found the time to dedicate to answering your post.

Dee Dee, excellent points made so far, and thanks for the definition of your views.

Thank you very much :)

It’s funny how close our theologies are. The Acts 9 dispensational, open view theology agrees with your first and third points completely.

To recap that would be:

PROOF NUMBER ONE: The phrase “this generation” everywhere else it is used in the NT refers to the generation then living, and the near demonstrative “this” makes it indisputable.

PROOF NUMBER THREE:The other “near” temporal indicators in the Gospels support the first century referent for “this generation,” specifically Matthew 16:27-28 and Matthew 10:23.

I do have a problem with point number three however.

I believe you mean point number two as follows:

PROOF NUMBER TWO: The destruction the Temple then standing in AD70 limits the fulfillment of the rest of the passage to the same time frame.

and as an aside.. you did not comment on point number four which was:

PROOF NUMBER FOUR: The context of the Olivet Discourse is a clear first century Judean context, NOT the “end of the world” it is made out to in modern prophecy thought.

And might I add that point number two is the kicker, so I think that any disagreement on that point really renders any agreement that you and I have on points one and two merely academic.

The problem comes with the idea that the destruction of the Temple limits the fulfillment of the rest of the passage to the same time frame. If the tribulation period was stopped prior to the destruction of the temple, then the later destruction of the temple has no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the timeline. However the destruction of the temple does prove problematic for your side, as I will show in a moment.

I will reserve comment so that the flow of your point is not missed.

Again, comment is reserved.

Here’s the problem with the destruction of the temple that I referred to earlier. I assume you believe in the 70 week prophesy stated by Daniel? If so, how do reconcile that the 69th week was to be immediately followed by the 70th week. In other words, Why didn’t the 7 year tribulation begin immediately after the death of Messiah as prophesized?

Okay there are several issues packed in here that I will need to tackle. The big one is the idea that the destruction of the Temple falls within the 70th week of Daniel which should follow immediately after the 69th week. However, since the destruction of the Temple did not happen until about 40 years or so after the 69th week, how do I extricate myself out of this pickle without inserting an arbitrary gap in the weeks?? The other issue would be the assumption contained within your response that the 70th week of Daniel is synonymous with the period of the Great Tribulation… an idea which I reject.

First a caveat… I readily confess that while I am familiar with dispensationalism in general, having once been a dispensationalist myself, I am honestly not that familiar with the particular “flavor” of dispensationalism that you hold to, so I may make some improper assumptions, and I beg your forgiveness in advance if I do. I understand that a copy of the seminal book expounding upon this view is on its way to me, and I am grateful for that.

Judging by your comments, you appear to not be so enamored with the insertion of a gap into the weeks as well. That though, seems to be in conflict with the implied assertion in your post to me that the destruction of the Temple must fall within the 70th week, and that the 70th week represents the period of the Great Tribulation, for then even in your view.. it appears that you must posit some sort of gap, though you may entitle it an “interruption”… a rose by any other name… ;)

So briefly… here is my chronology of the 70 weeks… I will provide further defense and detail as needed (I am not going to deal with the dating of the beginning of the countdown, unless you find that necessary.. we are probably pretty close in agreement on that). To start… here are the “goals” of the 70 weeks, i.e. the objectives to be accomplished within that time frame:

Daniel 9:24 “Seventy weeks are determined for your people and for your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sins, to make reconciliation for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the Most Holy.”

The first thing we notice here is that nowhere is the destruction of the Temple mentioned as one of the goals of the 70 weeks, it simply isn’t there However, the things that are mentioned as the goals were accomplished within the specified time frame all in the first century, in and surrounding Christ’s ministry. I was going to post specific proofs of those, but decided against it unless those are at issue.

Thus in my view, the 69th week ends with Christ’s baptism (the anointing of the Most Holy). The 70th week immediately followed without delay. Christ’s ministry lasted three and one-half years, and then He was cut off in the midst of the 70th week. The completion of the remaining three and one-half years of the 70th week after the Cross marked the end of the specific focus of the Gospel preaching to ethnic Israel (“You shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samarian and to the end of the earth.” Acts 1:8). The focus from that point on became the Gentiles and the opening of the Kingdom to them en masse. Acts records this progression. The opening chapters focus on Jerusalem, rippling out into Judea, and then Samaria, and then out into Gentiles with the conversion and ministry of Paul.

Thus in short, I see the destruction of the city and the Temple of the first century as a consequence of the 70 weeks, but not falling within the 70th week at all. I abbreviated this response, opting instead to see what areas you specifically question.

Now on to the other issue of your post which was your objection to my point that the destruction of the Temple then standing limits the fulfillment of the Olivet Discourse to the first century. I frankly don’t see any way you can’t meaningfully get around this issue. Here is specifically what you said:

The problem comes with the idea that the destruction of the Temple limits the fulfillment of the rest of the passage to the same time frame. If the tribulation period was stopped prior to the destruction of the temple, then the later destruction of the temple has no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the timeline.

With all due respect, both of these statements are impossible. I have to tighten up some terms here so that both of us are clear on what is being said. When I use the phrase “tribulation,” I am not going to be referring to general tribulation (which is with us always) or the various tribulative (is that a word?) precursors to the Great Tribulation, but rather I will use the word specifically to refer to the three and one-half year period of time which I hold occurred from 66AD-70AD. It appears that you may be using a looser definition of the word in your comments, but at this point, it is difficult for me to discern.

The Great Tribulation was the judgment response of God to the Jewish rejection of, and murder of, their Messiah. That being said, there would be no reason to discontinue this punishment because they continued along the same path of rejection that was brining the punishment in the first place! That would be akin to a parent suspending the grounding of their children because they continued to be bad while confined to their room.

I do not deny that there is implied conditionality to all prophecies of judgment (and of blessing); however, this conditionality is logical, just, and clearly defined in Scripture.

Let’s take a look at the passage from this is derived.

Jeremiah 18:7-11 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it. Now therefore, speak to the men of Judah and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD: “Behold, I am fashioning a disaster and devising a plan against you. Return now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.”

There are a lot of interesting things here.

The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it.

This portion teaches that the threats to destroy and pull down and pluck up are God’s response to the evil that a nation has done. If that nation then turns from its evil, God will not bring the disaster upon it.

And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.

God here speaks conversely to the truth already taught. Just as he will prosper an “evil” nation that turns from its evil, he will destroy a “good” nation” that turn from its good. In other words in this passage God is not talking about blessing an evil nation… it is presumed that when the blessing is pronounced, the nation is good, but if it turns evil, then the blessing is withdrawn.

The relevance to this discussion is apparent. At the time that Jesus spoke the Olivet Discourse, He was not speaking of a “good” nation upon whom He was now going to pronounce some blessing, He was speaking of an evil nation that would soon demand that He be crucified rather than a murderer (Mark 15:11 Matthew 27:21), cried out for His blood to be upon them and upon their children (Matthew 27:25), and pledged allegiance to no king but Caesar (John 19:15). They did not repent from those ways but continued in them, thus, even under the rubric of conditionalism there is no way out. The Great Tribulation was a first century event.

And continuing on the “escape” clause in prophecy, it is also apparent that this is only valid when the reaction of the people prophesied about is not also the subject of the prophecy. For example, when God sent Moses to Pharaoh, not only did He tell Moses what to say, and what the consequences of Pharaoh’s refusal would be, He also told Moses that Pharaoh would in fact refuse. That closes any escape hatch. God has spoken the whole thing. Likewise, the rejection of Christ by the Jews (except for a Remnant, which is all that ever really existed as the people of God to begin with) was also foretold. Their rejection was certain and prophesied. I can see no way out of this fact.

This then brings us back full circle to my contention that that the destruction of Temple then standing completely and irretrievably limits the fulfillment of the Discourse (at least up to Matthew 24:34), and if my points above are correct, this point still stands. Of course, there are other ways I can argue that point as well (i.e. the fact that Jesus made it undeniably clear what Temple was in view in His prophecy making any future “fulfillment” impossible) but at the admonition of Knight that I was not asked to write dissertation (smile), I shall stop here, and so look forward to your comments and interaction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
DD- I will try and take your points in order.

First; you are correct, I did mean point number two, thanks for the correction.

Second; The reason I didn’t mention point number four is because it wasn’t up before I started responding to your other points, however while I agree that it is clearly a first century prophesy, I might have an issue with it not being the end of the world (age), (won’t go into that now though).

Third; You make the statement that the destruction of the temple and of Jerusalem are nowhere mentioned in the 490 year prophesy. It is not stated in verse 24 but it is clearly stated in verse 26;
Dan 9:26 “And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary.

Fourth; You believe the 69th week ends with the baptism of Christ;
Thus in my view, the 69th week ends with Christ’s baptism (the anointing of the Most Holy). The 70th week immediately followed without delay.
You stated earlier that we probably are pretty close on the time line of Daniel’s 70 week prophesy, and perhaps we are, but apparently not close enough.
I believe the verses clearly show that the 69th week ends with the death of Christ and that the Great Tribulation started immediately after that.
Let’s look at the prophesy;
Dan 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined For your people and for your holy city, To finish the transgression, To make an end of sins, To make reconciliation for iniquity, To bring in everlasting righteousness, To seal up vision and prophecy, And to anoint the Most Holy.
(Notice that they are not necessarily in order and that the anointing of the Holy One is only stated to be within the 70 week timeframe.)

Daniel’s prophesy in this verse, sets a time of 490 years to accomplish all the events mentioned above for Israel, her people and Jerusalem. The next verse tells when the 490 year period begins;
Dan 9:25 “Know therefore and understand, That from the going forth of the command To restore and build Jerusalem Until Messiah the Prince, There shall be seven weeks (49 years) and sixty-two weeks (434 years) (49 + 434 = 483 years); The street shall be built again, and the wall, Even in troublesome times.
This portion of the prophecy states that the command to rebuild Jerusalem will be given and that the 490 year period will begin with that command. The next verse is where the Preterist’s theology breaks down, stating that the Messiah will appear after 483 years and be killed (not baptized).
Dan 9:26 “And after the sixty-two weeks (483 years) Messiah shall be cut off (killed), but not for Himself; And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, And till the end of the war desolations are determined.
The 62 weeks mentioned above, plus the 7 weeks from the previous verse, show that the Messiah would be killed 483 years after the order to rebuild Jerusalem, at the end of the 69th week.
That leaves only the last (the 70th) week, so let’s look at the next verse;
Dan 9: 27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation, which is determined, Is poured out on the desolate.”
This seven year (1 week) period, is Daniel’s 70th week. The Great Tribulation. The Time of Jacob’s Sorrow.

So these two points are where I see the flaw in the Preterist’s theology. (1) The death of Christ (not the baptism) ended the 69th week, and the 70th week started immediately after, but was stopped, due to Israel’s rejection of her Messiah.

(2) The destruction of the sanctuary, (the temple), and the city, (Jerusalem), which is clearly seen to happen during the 70 weeks, and not as some type of result of the Tribulation period, forty years later. The Biblical timeframe does not fit the Preterist’s scenereo, but works perfectly with the Acts 9 Dispensational scenereo.

One last point. You said;
Judging by your comments, you appear to not be so enamored with the insertion of a gap into the weeks as well. That though, seems to be in conflict with the implied assertion in your post to me that the destruction of the Temple must fall within the 70th week, and that the 70th week represents the period of the Great Tribulation, for then even in your view.. it appears that you must posit some sort of gap, though you may entitle it an “interruption”… a rose by any other name…
Hmmmm…. You may be right, in a way. However I don’t see it as a “gap” or an “interruption”, but rather that it was stopped. Cold. The events outlined in the 70th week will still happen. But not when prophesied.
The Great Tribulation started after the Crucifixion of Christ (numerous signs of the Great Tribulation are present in the Book of Acts) and then was stopped about one year later. Daniel’s prophesy was aborted (and the completion of his prophesy will never be completed the way he stated it would, in other words, it can never be fulfilled in the timeline it was prophesied) at that time due to Israel’s rejection of their Messiah. God was not held to his word to complete the 70th week, as you so aptly pointed out in the Jeremiah 18 passage, because of Israel’s rejection. The Great Tribulation will happen, as is clearly shown in the Book Of Revelation, but not until the fullness of the gentiles has come in. So you may deem it a gap or an interruption, but I would say it was stopped, the 490 year prophesy ended. Even though the events themselves will still happen sometime in the future.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Lion:

Thank you for your response... I will surely respond in more detail now that I see better where you are coming from and can tailor my points accordingly. I hope you do not mind that first I am going to answer Gavin's question so that it will be waiting for him when he returns from his vacation. However, I should have that done by tomorrow and will then immediately begin working on my response to you. I am sorry that I am not lickety-split in responding, but I hope that you appreciate that I put a great deal of time and thought into my replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.