The violent reality of Christianity

Lon

Will the Christians on this board look themselves in the mirror when they rail against Muslim violence?
First of all, there is a difference between the NT and the OT. In the OT, God was working primarily with "Jews." You seem to need a few elementary courses to understand these differences (not a slam, what I believe is true because you've been inadvertently sloppy not recognizing this fact). There are a LOT of atheists that never see this difference either.

As far as Christians, they may talk about one thing or another, but you'd have to point out where the rubber met the road and Christians were violent. I'm sure you can find something unrelated, like an African community killing witchdoctors or something. If you have to look that hard though, you might be a little too desperate to scapegoat a people-group. :think: I hope you take a few moments of self-reflection for 'why' you seem to despise Christians that you have to look this hard. The real check is what Christians are actually doing in the world.
What did a Christian ever do to you? Besides banning you, I mean?

Morpheus

First of all, there is a difference between the NT and the OT. In the OT, God was working primarily with "Jews." You seem to need a few elementary courses to understand these differences (not a slam, what I believe is true because you've been inadvertently sloppy not recognizing this fact). There are a LOT of atheists that never see this difference either.

As far as Christians, they may talk about one thing or another, but you'd have to point out where the rubber met the road and Christians were violent. I'm sure you can find something unrelated, like an African community killing witchdoctors or something. If you have to look that hard though, you might be a little too desperate to scapegoat a people-group. :think: I hope you take a few moments of self-reflection for 'why' you seem to despise Christians that you have to look this hard. The real check is what Christians are actually doing in the world.
What did a Christian ever do to you? Besides banning you, I mean?

About Christian speech:

James 3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Tongue Is a Fire
3 Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a [a]stricter judgment. 2 For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well. 3 Now if we put the bits into the horses’ mouths so that they will obey us, we direct their entire body as well. 4 Look at the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder wherever the inclination of the pilot desires. 5 So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things.

See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire! 6 And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our [c]life, and is set on fire by [d]hell. 7 For every [e]species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human [f]race. 8 But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; 10 from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way. 11 Does a fountain send out from the same opening both [g]fresh and bitter water? 12 Can a fig tree, my brethren, produce olives, or a vine produce figs? Nor can salt water produce [h]fresh.

Wisdom from Above
13 Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth. 15 This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, [j]natural, demonic. 16 For where jealousy and [k]selfish ambition exist, [l]there is disorder and every evil thing. 17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, [m]reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. 18 And the [n]seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace [o]by those who make peace.

James 1:26

26 If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless.

Luke 6:43-45

43 For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, [z]on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. 44 For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. 45 The good man out of the good [aa]treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from [ab]that which fills his heart.

Yup, we are known by our fruit. That includes our attitudes and the words that flow from our mouths (and writing). People looking to see what God is like will get that image by looking at his people. And they are supposed to see Christ reflected in us. But what image are they seeing if they read through the threads on TOL? What picture of God is painted here? Those who strive to bridle their tongues (a group in which I include you) cannot undo the damage done by so many others.

Lon

About Christian speech:

Yup, we are known by our fruit. That includes our attitudes and the words that flow from our mouths (and writing). People looking to see what God is like will get that image by looking at his people. And they are supposed to see Christ reflected in us. But what image are they seeing if they read through the threads on TOL? What picture of God is painted here? Those who strive to bridle their tongues (a group in which I include you) cannot undo the damage done by so many others.
I'm not sure this was supposed to be a blanket statement though. It 'seems' to me, more like a rule of thumb. That said, it is still my goal this year, "as far as it depends on me, to live at peace with all men." I never saw Road House, but I did see the clip to "be nice....until it is time to not be nice." Of course the Byrds and Ecclesiastes comes to mind too.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yup, we are known by our fruit. That includes our attitudes and the words that flow from our mouths (and writing).

Which is why you are known as a liberal pansy. :up:

:mock: Tinny