There Are No Rules In War?

This Charming Manc

She was suggesting the shah was a man, who did much ill as well as good, probably not the paragon of virtue you make him out to be at times.

She also is suggesting his secret police tortured people opposed to him.

She didn't offer any support the regime that came after

Since you think so much like the pagan annadennebettti, tell us what she really meant.

musterion

I just don't think its moral.

When one society that is (humanly speaking) eminently humane and moral has had war declared on it by people whose brutality and wickedness know NO bounds, lay out the alternatives for us. How do you win that one? How do you fight a moral war against an utterly immoral force that seeks to use your own vaunted morality against you?

Explain the battle plan, General.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
No im suggesting standards are standards, whats torture for one is torture for the other.

But values/morals of the two religions/countries greatly differ.

For instance: The Holy Bible doesn't say to go out and murder those that don't believe in Jesus Christ, we're to share His Word with unbelievers and show them the way to a better life here on earth and the way to eternal salvation.

The false religion of muzziedom on the other hand tells it's lemming followers to go out and murder infidels, i.e. those that don't believe in the false god Allah nor his pedophile/homosexual prophet Muhammad.

Isn't it great belonging to a Christian website where you are able to learn the truth TCM?

musterion

I can see that it is tempting, and possible to justify in you own mind.

It may be beneficial (but studies suggest not)

I'm not trying to justify anything, really. I'm just a realist who lives in Reaslville. You should join me. Sometimes it isn't comfortable here, but it is real.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
She was suggesting the shah was a man, who did much ill as well as good, probably not the paragon of virtue you make him out to be at times.

It depends whose eyes are doing the viewing TCM. I must have missed anna talking about he good that the Shah of Iran did (she was busy looking up what she thought was bad).

She also is suggesting his secret police tortured people opposed to him.

Since when are barbarians (who the Shah was dealing with) considered "people"?

She didn't offer any support the regime that came after

Nor condemnation.

This Charming Manc

As morally as you can.

If we start down the road of justifying what we know to be wrong for expedience, we start down a path that opens us to all kinds of evil.

I'm not saying it easy, or even more effective, but morality is absolute.

To deny people agreed rights based on expedience, or because they are 'other' then we become open to become the same perpetrators which we oppose.

Our battle is not against Islam but against evil, we cannot win that battle by becoming and doing evil

When one society that is (humanly speaking) eminently humane and moral has had war declared on it by people whose brutality and wickedness know NO bounds, lay out the alternatives for us. How do you win that one? How do you fight a moral war against an utterly immoral force that seeks to use your own vaunted morality against you?

Explain the battle plan, General.

This Charming Manc

I'm my life experience moral short cuts I make usually come to bite me on the ***.

I try to avoids them now, as a society I think we should try to do the same.

I'm not trying to justify anything, really. I'm just a realist who lives in Reaslville. You should join me. Sometimes it isn't comfortable here, but it is real.

This Charming Manc

That the racists evil muck in you heart openly exposed for all to see.

Since when are barbarians (who the Shah was dealing with) considered "people"?

The answer is since they were made in the image of God, since christ choose to die for there sins.

If God treats them like that they are people.

musterion

As morally as you can.

And that's why yours will be a Muslim majority nation within 50 years.

If we start down the road of justifying what we know to be wrong for expedience, we start down a path that opens us to all kinds of evil.

That door's already wide open and we didn't open it.

I'm not saying it easy, or even more effective, but morality is absolute.

Infantry square.

To deny people agreed rights

Ah, now we arrive at the root of your malfunction. WHAT exact rights do our asymmetrical enemy combatants have, and WHO is "we"? Who gave ANY rights to them?

Our battle is not against Islam but against evil, we cannot win that battle by becoming and doing evil

First, where did I ever say the battle for the survival of our society is limited only to the conflict with Islam?

Second, the way to win a war is to hit the enemy harder and more often than he's able to hit you, until he asks you to stop and lays down his arms. Of course that's much more complicated when he started an asymmetrical fight and will call for potentially much more brutal measures than you're used to, but he's the one who put this ball in your court. He's ready to take this to the end, win or lose. If you're not, you've already lost.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I'm my life experience moral short cuts I make usually come to bite me on the ***.

That might work in an alternate universe but, when real lives are at stake, real decisions have to be made such as taking one man to the point of drowning numerous times, depriving him of sleep, humiliating this one man to the point where he breaks with information that save hundreds possibly thousands of lives.

It is a moral dilemma, I agree but, does one mans discomfort outweigh the very lives of thousands? This is a decision point...What would your decision be? sacrifice thousands for a clear conscience? or inflict temporary discomfort on one man to save thousands? Your move...

musterion

This demonstrates precisely your blind spot: in ceding rights to an enemy bent on weakening and conquering us through any means necessary, and in even having a conversation on not tapping a captive Jihadist in the nose with a piece of paper (your army is having that one now), we've already taken a moral short cut that has cut our own throats.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I like the new avitar Musterion...I also love Waffle House. Mmmmmm country ham & eggs please. :TomO:

rexlunae

Not the case at all Rex, I posted the thread to laud Gowdy's speech as it was concise & to the point, non-partisan, actually attacked Boehner about the law & his inaction to hold Obama to a standard, and our presidents willingness to break the law at will.

It wasn't non-partisan. Hurling rhetorical rocks at Boehner is pretty much playing to the GOP base that's convinced that he's a sell-out to the whole cause. Boehner is pretty much the designated whipping boy for the Tea Party caucus.

That thread has really shown me much more in that liberals like yourself have no respect for the law as long as it is your man breaking it, you are all onboard for his lawless immigration action, a blind eye for using the IRS as a weapon against the citizenry, etc.

It wasn't just liberals who responded pretty strongly to my question. On the one hand, you have President Obama's executive action, which is pretty clearly within his authority to set priorities for the enforcement of the law. And if it isn't, the courts can remedy that problem, and there's little to indicate that the administration would try to place their actions in "legal outer space". On the other hand, you have top executive, not just exercising discretion in the lawful performance of their duties, but allegedly ordering people to break the law. The Bush administration was far more lawless than the Obama administration, and yet there isn't a peep about that from Gowdy.

The IRS situation is potentially different, but so far, Congress has been unable to find any link to high-level administration officials, and not for lack of trying.

Now, you are free to personally impugn those in the CIA (a totally different subject I might add) who did their job with legal authorization from all three branches of government including the very liberals (and though they deny it) who are attempting to condemn it 10 years after authorizing it.

As far as legal authorization goes, there is no way to legalize torture. Do you think the Japanese or the Nazis lacked the highest level of authorization for their actions, for which they were prosecuted? Or Milosevic, who was no less than president of his country? To allow the Geneva Conventions to be overridden by high-ranking officials would gut them.

Also, I'd like to know how the Judiciary was "briefed". Considering that they review cases, without an opposing party, they really don't seem to have a role to play. They cannot take initiative upon themselves.

You are also free to define torture by your own standard, I personally don't see it here

Well, no, no one is entitled to their own definition of crimes. Else what could ever be called criminal? But I think that if you don't see torture here in the very same acts that we prosecuted people for in the past, I think you are wearing your ideological blinders pretty firmly.

, obviously the world court doesn't see it that way either being there will probably be no charges levied by the ICC in this matter.

My understanding is that the charged would have to be referred to the UN Security Council, where the US would hold a veto. Ironically, this might be the best place for you to make the case that the Obama administration is lawless; they are unlikely to allow charges to proceed.

The Senate report will almost certainly be assessed by the international criminal court as part of a preliminary examination of US treatment of detainees in Afghanistan.

However, it is seen as unlikely that the ICC’s inquiry will lead to charges against the US officials involved in the torture programme, for both legal and political reasons.

We do hold that veto at the Security Council. We really shouldn't use it, though.

Seems you all are the minority voice in this discussion, the recent Washington Post poll to Americans concerning the use of advanced interrogation techniques was a 2 to 1 margin for the techniques used 59% to 31%.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ee1208-847c-11e4-9534-f79a23c40e6c_story.html

I consider that an indictment of a large portion of the American public, on some level. When the Nazis were vanquished, and the Germans were shown what was being done in their names not far from their homes, they were largely appalled by it. I'm not sure Americans would have the sense to be.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
It wasn't non-partisan. Hurling rhetorical rocks at Boehner is pretty much playing to the GOP base that's convinced that he's a sell-out to the whole cause. Boehner is pretty much the designated whipping boy for the Tea Party caucus.

It was non-partisan in that he was addressing all representitives to uphold the law...period. Hurling rocks at his own while upholding the standard for all elected officials should not be a partisan thing it should be a constitutional thing. I guess that escaped you.

It wasn't just liberals who responded pretty strongly to my question. On the one hand, you have President Obama's executive action, which is pretty clearly within his authority to set priorities for the enforcement of the law.

That is not what Obama has done at all, he has nullified existing law which is not in his power to do constitutionally. Even when Reagan made executive action on immigration (which seems to be a favorite liberal cry) it was only to clarify the law's boundary of enforcement. Making new law and refusing to enforce existing law because you don't like it is not within the presidents power, nor should it be. Gowdy made that point also, "what laws will the next president choose to nullify?" If it is a republican that nullifies existing discrimination laws will you be for it? will you also say that he is within his power to do so? How far are you willing to go with this?

And if it isn't, the courts can remedy that problem, and there's little to indicate that the administration would try to place their actions in "legal outer space".

They are already there ("legal outer space") & you along with most liberals cheer his lawlessness.

On the other hand, you have top executive, not just exercising discretion in the lawful performance of their duties, but allegedly ordering people to break the law.

That is not the case, the actions taken were in the limits of the law, the liberals that were briefed into what was happening at the time agreed & authorized it, and only the fringe 31% agree with you that it was unlawful or wrong.

The Bush administration was far more lawless than the Obama administration, and yet there isn't a peep about that from Gowdy.

Because what the administration did was lawful and was briefed to all branches of the government at that time. It is a bit late for the libs that sanctioned it to now cry foul, yet you seem unwilling to subscribe any culpability to them...funny how that works.

The IRS situation is potentially different, but so far, Congress has been unable to find any link to high-level administration officials, and not for lack of trying.

Well like the Nixon tapes the left has done a fine job of stonewalling & destroying the evidence but, what makes this case far more sinister is watergate was a scandal between political parties while the IRS scandal was a crime against the citizenry of the United States. Would you like to see a different administration attack you, your business, your character using arguably the strongest arm of the federal government? I think not but, hey it was only right wing citizens that were targeted so I assume you are good with that. :juggle:

As far as legal authorization goes, there is no way to legalize torture. Do you think the Japanese or the Nazis lacked the highest level of authorization for their actions, for which they were prosecuted? Or Milosevic, who was no less than president of his country? To allow the Geneva Conventions to be overridden by high-ranking officials would gut them.

Inflicting bodily harm, severe pain is the standard, does sleep depravation, humiliation, or waterboarding (fear for ones life) rise to that? I think not.

Also, I'd like to know how the Judiciary was "briefed". Considering that they review cases, without an opposing party, they really don't seem to have a role to play. They cannot take initiative upon themselves.

I should have been more clear, I meant the Atty General. & Judiciary Committees were briefed. I was not referring to the Supreme Court.

Well, no, no one is entitled to their own definition of crimes. Else what could ever be called criminal? But I think that if you don't see torture here in the very same acts that we prosecuted people for in the past, I think you are wearing your ideological blinders pretty firmly.

1) Why not? I mean if you can uphold what laws you want, and nullify the ones you don't, than it is open season, no? See how that works? But your Okay with it as long as it is "your man" doing it.

2) If it was bought into by the administration as well as all the lawmakers involved (left & right) to authorize it than the standard was met to be implemented.

3) Be specific, where was anyone punished for the acts of sleep deprivation, humiliation, or waterboarding? these actions have only been deemed as torture by a minority at this point and it is still up for debate, the left only has spotlighted it for political gain pure & simple.

My understanding is that the charged would have to be referred to the UN Security Council, where the US would hold a veto. Ironically, this might be the best place for you to make the case that the Obama administration is lawless; they are unlikely to allow charges to proceed.

It is more unlikely that it will get that far.

We do hold that veto at the Security Council. We really shouldn't use it, though.

Like I said above...

I consider that an indictment of a large portion of the American public, on some level. When the Nazis were vanquished, and the Germans were shown what was being done in their names not far from their homes, they were largely appalled by it. I'm not sure Americans would have the sense to be.

Waterboarding, sleep deprivation, humiliation, and the rest of the methods used here don't rise the level in any way of the real pain & suffering inflicted by the the Japanese, the Germans against innocents, or even by ISIS right now and Americans can see the trivial nature of liberal cry's of torture in this case.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Me too!

That is not my back tat, however. It's....someone else. :noid:

If liking Waffle House makes me "white trash" than count me in...I love the place and I only get it when I go to Florida on business anymore. You just can't find find Virginia country ham (salt cured) in California, I love the stuff, though I drink a gallon of water afterwards. :chuckle:

Arthur Brain

I know that liberals like Art Brain and his Libertarian ally WizardofOz can't relate to the following, as they've never stood up for anything decent in their lives, let along fought for it, but there is one very important rule of war:

Defeat the enemy.

Heck, is there anything you don't project about? There's a difference between fighting a war and thinking you have cart blanche options in how to treat the 'enemy' in such.