This lawyer's headed for hell.

glorydaz

How could it possibly be justice when a lawyer doesn't even question his client if he actually committed the crime?

If it were about justice, and a defense lawyer knew his client to be guilty, then it would not be JUSTICE to defend him.

What hinders the justice of it all is that she is also blind to status and privilege and the favors being passed around (I scratch your back, you scratch mine).
Those with more money are always going to have a better case because they can afford to hire folks to investigate, search records, give interviews, paperwork, etc.
That's not justice either.

Here we see common sense versus idealogical idiocy. The way things are supposed to work are rarely they way they too often work.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Rather, when lawyers do their duty before the law it is in the service of justice.

That's a perversion of the idiom. What "Justice is blind" means is that she is blind to power and its influence. All men stand equal in right and presumption before her and the law.

You'll not find "True Justice" in the courts of this world. Garbage like "Plea deals" for maniacs who murder people thereby, getting off with a light sentence isn't justice. That's only one example.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The job of a Nazi guard was to gas Jews.

I know of a guy who purposely killed his Wife (shot her to death) and his Lawyer got him off on an "Insane Plea." He spent 4 years in a mental facility, was found to be "sane" again and was let out. He's now married and just living his life free as a bird. Is four years "Justice?"

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
It's kind of funny that one can "work the system" to get out of a murder charge or some other heinous crime, however, if you get a traffic ticket or Jaywalk, they throw the book at you. A wee bit of "Hyperbole."

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know of a guy who purposely killed his Wife (shot her to death) and his Lawyer got him off on an "Insane Plea." He spent 4 years in a mental facility, was found to be "sane" again and was let out. He's now married and just living his life free as a bird. Is four years "Justice?"
Nope.

:think:

Four years dangling from a rope, maybe.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TOL mobile app

fool

Hall of Fame
I have more respect for Prosecution Lawyers.

Then you have it backwards.
See, our system only works right if the accused gets a vigorous, competent, defence. Which means someone has to be the defence lawyer and as such must defend some pretty unsavory scumbags.
It's easy to be the good guy Prosecutor, people conflate the defence lawyer with the defendant. Defence Lawyers are doing us a public service by making sure that the scumbag doesn't get off on a technicality later. Without defence lawyers we have nothing but a kangaroo court.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You'll not find "True Justice" in the courts of this world.
Of course not. True justice would be for the victim to be put in exactly the place and state they would have found themselves but for the actions of the wrong doer. No earthly court can give you that. All a court can do is punish the violator and attempt to make the injured party whole again. It's necessarily imperfect.

Garbage like "Plea deals" for maniacs who murder people thereby, getting off with a light sentence isn't justice.
The reason for plea deals is simple, certain punishment in uncertain outcomes and because it would take a great deal more of a tax bite out of the average citizen to fund the alternative. What maniac murderer were you thinking of who got off with a light sentence and by what standard?

Here's a pretty good treatment on the subject from the Californian Law Review for you to ignore. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
See, our system only works right if the accused gets a vigorous, competent, defence. Which means someone has to be the defence lawyer and as such must defend some pretty unsavory scumbags.
It's easy to be the good guy Prosecutor, people conflate the defence lawyer with the defendant. Defence Lawyers are doing us a public service by making sure that the scumbag doesn't get off on a technicality later. Without defence lawyers we have nothing but a kangaroo court.

That's exactly right.

What could that lawyer possibly hope to achieve by going on that program?
Outside of free publicity for his firm? An outside chance to put a different narrative into play among potential jurors, maybe. I wouldn't have done it.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Of course not. True justice would be for the victim to be put in exactly the place and state they would have found themselves but for the actions of the wrong doer. No earthly court can give you that. All a court can do is punish the violator and attempt to make the injured party whole again. It's necessarily imperfect.

The reason for plea deals is simple, certain punishment in uncertain outcomes and because it would take a great deal more of a tax bite out of the average citizen to fund the alternative. What maniac murderer were you thinking of who got off with a light sentence and by what standard?

Here's a pretty good treatment on the subject from the Californian Law Review for you to ignore. :)

As usual, I only read your first sentence and ignored the rest. I have said in the past I will only read the first sentence of your posts. Thank you for your lack of cooperation in this matter.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
It's easy to be the good guy Prosecutor, people conflate the defense lawyer with the defendant. Defense Lawyers are doing us a public service by making sure that the scumbag doesn't get off on a technicality later. Without defense lawyers we have nothing but a kangaroo court.

I was merely making a comment regarding my contempt for Defense Lawyers. Not all Defense Lawyers are blind in the area of justice and morals. Like you, everyone else has a right to their opinions.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As usual, I only read your first sentence and ignored the rest.
Don't sell yourself short, you ignore a lot more than that.

I was merely making a comment regarding my contempt for Defense Lawyers.
A lot of people feel that way until they're falsely accused of a crime. It's an especially common sentiment among people who get their understanding of the law from tv. :plain:

Like you, everyone else has a right to their opinions
Like the guy who is sure aliens are reading his thoughts.

fool

Hall of Fame
I was merely making a comment regarding my contempt for Defense Lawyers. Not all Defense Lawyers are blind in the area of justice and morals. Like you, everyone else has a right to their opinions.

The Criminal Courts are as important a part of our society as the sewer and water system. The Prosecutors and Public Defenders are our employees. It's not right to say you're OK with the water dept. but you have contempt for the sewer dept. It's two sides of the same coin, both jobs that must be done by somebody.

fool

Hall of Fame
Outside of free publicity for his firm? An outside chance to put a different narrative into play among potential jurors, maybe. I wouldn't have done it.
Let's say that is what his client told him, why would he play his cards in the media while people still have their pitchforks out?