TOD: What is your favorite Bible Scripture Verse?

NarrowWay

Awww, shucks!
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 31st, 2011 8:50 AM

toldailytopic: What is your favorite, all-time, number one Bible Scripture Verse?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
John 11:25-26.

"Jesus said to her: I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, although he be dead, shall live: [26] And every one that liveth, and believeth in me, shall not die for ever. Believest thou this?"

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Hosea 13:16

King James Version (KJV)

16Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Many shall be refined, purified, and tested, but the wicked shall prove wicked; none of them shall have understanding, but the wise shall have it.

chances are you won't find this in your bible since the KJV does not have the word test, which I think is a very important word
but
you can find it in the NAB Daniel 12:10

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Isaiah 53:5
But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Hosea 13:16
"The shocking atrocities mentioned were in keeping with brutalities characteristic of the Assyrians (cf. 2 Kin. 17:5; Is. 13:6; Amos 1:13; Nah. 3:10)." MacArthur, John Jr: The MacArthur Study Bible. electronic ed. Nashville : Word Pub., 1997, c1997, S. Ho 13:16

"Ephraim, the most respected of the northern tribes, has led Israel into Baal worship (13:1–3). Yet the Lord is God, who cared for His people so tenderly (vv. 4–6), but who is about to turn on Israel and destroy the rebellious nation (vv. 7–9). The North insisted on its own king and kingdom and in doing so rejected God (vv. 10–13; cf. 1 Kings 12). God, who redeems from death (Hosea 13:13), will bring death and destruction to the Northern Kingdom (vv. 14–16).

Despite this grim portrait of Israel’s immediate future, the Book of Hosea concludes with one of the most comforting of the Old Testament’s visions of Israel’s destiny. God invites Israel to return, bringing only an appeal for forgiveness and an affirmation of renewed faith (14:1–3). In response God will heal His people and restore their lost splendor (vv. 4–8). In both judgment and in grace God displays the rightness of His ways and defines the path in which the godly are to walk (v. 9).

Key verse. 14:2: All we can offer God is ourselves.

Personal application. Judgment on the left and grace on the right keep us in the center of God’s will.

Key concepts. Baal Judges 2-3. Guilt Leviticus 1-7. Idolatry Isaiah 44-45. Compassion Isaiah 54-55. Salvation Isaiah 30-31. Confession 1 John 1."
Richards, Larry: The Bible Reader's Companion. Wheaton, Ill. : Victor Books, 1991, S. 530

Last edited:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jeremiah 17:7-8 KJV

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.
For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence." Matthew 23:25

Universalist

Just one verse...I can't pick just one. :D

Romans 8:31-39

God’s Everlasting Love

31What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be[h] against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised— who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.[i] 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36As it is written,

"For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered." 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Ecclesiastes 1:18
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Gal. 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me. That life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.