TOL Topic of the Day: MLK Day:How have race relations changed/not changed?

NarrowWay

Awww, shucks!
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 16th, 2012 9:50 AM

toldailytopic: MLK Day; How have race relations in the U.S. changed/not changed since the "I Have A Dream" speech?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

HisServant

Yes and no... Yes because it got rid of Jim Crow laws. No, because the african-american leadership - post MLK still want more. They want the color of their skin to mean more than the content of their character.

bigbang123

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 16th, 2012 9:50 AM

toldailytopic: MLK Day; How have race relations in the U.S. changed/not changed since the "I Have A Dream" speech?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

They have changed somewhat - but not enough.

listen especially to the comments from a white man from S.C.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/now-with-alex-wagner/46014839

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Obviously those that have learned that MLK Jr. was the first recipient of the annual Margaret Sanger/Planned Parenthood award don't care, as they keep promoting this fraud of a wannabe man.
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are/reverend-martin-luther-king-jr-4728.htm

Like many, Martin wasn't aware of her agenda or racial attitudes or he'd hardly have accepted an award from a person who considered him sub-human. If you're going to smear the dead, do a more rational job of it. King was flawed, but you've chosen the wrong one.

In any event, when I was a kid the only blacks who came into our neighborhoods worked in them. Now...now it's the Mexicans, so that's not really helping the point along. :think:

Well, things are better. I rarely hear the N bomb from a white person, though I hear it too frequently from young black men. You'll see younger people of different races hanging out and running around together and dating one another without thinking anything of it. The old guard is dying out and meeting limited success in terms of spreading their racial nonsense. It's an ongoing sea change, but the worst is behind us.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Like many, Martin wasn't aware of her agenda or racial attitudes or he'd hardly have accepted an award from a person who considered him sub-human. If you're going to smear the dead, do a more rational job of it. King was flawed, but you've chosen the wrong one.

I've heard that excuse many a time counselor; his niece Alveda (a good Christian woman), is the main apologist for him.

My standard response to those who talk like you is:

Martin Luther King Jr. may not have known what award he was accepting (although he did), but Planned Parenthood knew EXACTLY who they were giving it to.

The proof is in his acceptance speech:

"Family Planning — A Special and Urgent Concern
by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Recently, the press has been filled with reports of sightings of flying saucers. While we need not give credence to these stories, they allow our imagination to speculate on how visitors from outer space would judge us. I am afraid they would be stupefied at our conduct. They would observe that for death planning we spend billions to create engines and strategies for war. They would also observe that we spend millions to prevent death by disease and other causes. Finally they would observe that we spend paltry sums for population planning, even though its spontaneous growth is an urgent threat to life on our planet. Our visitors from outer space could be forgiven if they reported home that our planet is inhabited by a race of insane men whose future is bleak and uncertain.

There is no human circumstance more tragic than the persisting existence of a harmful condition for which a remedy is readily available. Family planning, to relate population to world resources, is possible, practical and necessary. Unlike plagues of the dark ages or contemporary diseases we do not yet understand, the modern plague of overpopulation is soluble by means we have discovered and with resources we possess.

What is lacking is not sufficient knowledge of the solution but universal consciousness of the gravity of the problem and education of the billions who are its victims.

It is easier for a Negro to understand a social paradox because he has lived so long with evils that could be eradicated but were perpetuated by indifference or ignorance. The Negro finally had to devise unique methods to deal with his problem, and perhaps the measure of success he is realizing can be an inspiration to others coping with tenacious social problems.

In our struggle for equality we were confronted with the reality that many millions of people were essentially ignorant of our conditions or refused to face unpleasant truths. The hard-core bigot was merely one of our adversaries. The millions who were blind to our plight had to be compelled to face the social evil their indifference permitted to flourish.

After centuries of relative silence and enforced acceptance, we adapted a technique of exposing the problem by direct and dramatic methods. We had confidence that when we awakened the nation to the immorality and evil of inequality, there would be an upsurge of conscience followed by remedial action.

We knew that there were solutions and that the majority of the nation were ready for them. Yet we also knew that the existence of solutions would not automatically operate to alter conditions. We had to organize, not only arguments, but people in the millions for action. Finally we had to be prepared to accept all the consequences involved in dramatizing our grievances in the unique style we had devised.

There is a striking kinship between our movement and Margaret Sanger's early efforts. She, like we, saw the horrifying conditions of ghetto life. Like we, she knew that all of society is poisoned by cancerous slums. Like we, she was a direct actionist — a nonviolent resister. She was willing to accept scorn and abuse until the truth she saw was revealed to the millions. At the turn of the century she went into the slums and set up a birth control clinic, and for this deed she went to jail because she was violating an unjust law. Yet the years have justified her actions. She launched a movement which is obeying a higher law to preserve human life under humane conditions. Margaret Sanger had to commit what was then called a crime in order to enrich humanity, and today we honor her courage and vision; for without them there would have been no beginning. Our sure beginning in the struggle for equality by nonviolent direct action may not have been so resolute without the tradition established by Margaret Sanger and people like her. Negroes have no mere academic nor ordinary interest in family planning. They have a special and urgent concern.

Recently the subject of Negro family life has received extensive attention. Unfortunately, studies have overemphasized the problem of the Negro male ego and almost entirely ignored the most serious element — Negro migration. During the past half century Negroes have migrated on a massive scale, transplanting millions from rural communities to crammed urban ghettoes. In their migration, as with all migrants, they carried with them the folkways of the countryside into an inhospitable city slum. The size of family that may have been appropriate and tolerable on a manually cultivated farm was carried over to the jammed streets of the ghetto. In all respects Negroes were atomized, neglected and discriminated against. Yet, the worst omission was the absence of institutions to acclimate them to their new environment. Margaret Sanger, who offered an important institutional remedy, was unfortunately ignored by social and political leaders in this period. In consequence, Negro folkways in family size persisted. The problem was compounded when unrestrained exploitation and discrimination accented the bewilderment of the newcomer, and high rates of illegitimacy and fragile family relationships resulted.

For the Negro, therefore, intelligent guides of family planning are a profoundly important ingredient in his quest for security and a decent life. There are mountainous obstacles still separating Negroes from a normal existence. Yet one element in stabilizing his life would be an understanding of and easy access to the means to develop a family related in size to his community environment and to the income potential he can command.

This is not to suggest that the Negro will solve all his problems through Planned Parenthood. His problems are far more complex, encompassing economic security, education, freedom from discrimination, decent housing and access to culture. Yet if family planning is sensible it can facilitate or at least not be an obstacle to the solution of the many profound problems that plague him.

The Negro constitutes half the poor of the nation. Like all poor, Negro and white, they have many unwanted children. This is a cruel evil they urgently need to control. There is scarcely anything more tragic in human life than a child who is not wanted. That which should be a blessing becomes a curse for parent and child. There is nothing inherent in the Negro mentality which creates this condition. Their poverty causes it. When Negroes have been able to ascend economically, statistics reveal they plan their families with even greater care than whites. Negroes of higher economic and educational status actually have fewer children than white families in the same circumstances.

Some commentators point out that with present birth rates it will not be long before Negroes are a majority in many of the major cities of the nation. As a consequence, they can be expected to take political control, and many people are apprehensive at this prospect. Negroes do not seek political control by this means. They seek only what they are entitled to and do not wish for domination purchased at the cost of human misery. Negroes were once bred by slave owners to be sold as merchandise. They do not welcome any solution which involves population breeding as a weapon. They are instinctively sympathetic to all who offer methods that will improve their lives and offer them fair opportunity to develop and advance as all other people in our society.

For these reasons we are natural allies of those who seek to inject any form of planning in our society that enriches life and guarantees the right to exist in freedom and dignity.

For these constructive movements we are prepared to give our energies and consistent support; because in the need for family planning, Negro and white have a common bond; and together we can and should unite our strength for the wise preservation, not of races in general, but of the one race we all constitute — the human race."
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are/reverend-martin-luther-king-jr-4728.htm

Now granted, Martin Luther King Jr. wasn't the brightest that the politically correct left had to offer, but with all of the people surrounding him, he would have known these things about Margaret Sanger:

"The most merciful thing that a large family does to one of its infant members is to kill it."
Margaret Sanger, Women and the New Race

(Eugenics Publ. Co., 1920, 1923)

On blacks, immigrants and indigents:
"...human weeds,' 'reckless breeders,' 'spawning... human beings who never should have been born." Margaret Sanger, Pivot of Civilization, referring to immigrants and poor people
On sterilization & racial purification:
Sanger believed that, for the purpose of racial "purification," couples should be rewarded who chose sterilization. Birth Control in America, The Career of Margaret Sanger, by David Kennedy, p. 117, quoting a 1923 Sanger speech.

On the right of married couples to bear children:
Couples should be required to submit applications to have a child, she wrote in her "Plan for Peace." Birth Control Review, April 1932

On the purpose of birth control:
The purpose in promoting birth control was "to create a race of thoroughbreds," she wrote in the Birth Control Review, Nov. 1921 (p. 2)

On the rights of the handicapped and mentally ill, and racial minorities:
"More children from the fit, less from the unfit -- that is the chief aim of birth control." Birth Control Review, May 1919, p. 12
Etc. etc. etc.
http://www.dianedew.com/sanger.htm

Let's not forget, King also was a communist sympathizer, a sexual degenerate, a plagiarist, and held a rather odd view of the resurrection of Jesus for supposedly being a man of the cloth.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I've heard that excuse many a time counselor; his niece Alveda (a good Christian woman), is the main apologist for him.

My standard response to those who talk like you is:

Martin Luther King Jr. may not have known what award he was accepting...
And there endeth the lesson, or your point, such as it was. I chopped of the (although he did) nonsense because it's on par with suggesting he accepted a golden plated fried chicken N-bomb award. Just absurd on the face of it. Like most men of influence and power he accepted a play aimed at his vanity described as recognizing:

"his courageous resistance to bigotry and his lifelong dedication to the advancement of social justice and human dignity"

That as with many or most of the day he wasn't aware of her particular beliefs involving race, among other things, isn't shocking or unusual.

Buzzword

The main thing that has changed in race relations since Dr. King is that more black people hate black people than ever before in American history.

The educated, socially responsible, tiny section of the black community HAAAATES the media and social trends of the ignorant, shiftless, baby-making section.

Just like the educated, socially responsible, tiny section of the WHITE community haaaates the media and social trends of the ignorant, shiftless, baby-making section.

Breathe

I was very young when MLK was killed, but I remember some of the events after. It's my opinion that the man would be appalled at the "gimme" culture that white guilt has instilled in Black Americans. He wanted equality, not handouts - equal pay and equal opportunity. He wanted black children to have the right to - and receive - a good education, so that they could achieve on their own. He would not be pleased by our welfare culture.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes and no... Yes because it got rid of Jim Crow laws. No, because the african-american leadership - post MLK still want more. They want the color of their skin to mean more than the content of their character.

In other words they want to be just as bad as white people?

csuguy

They've changed pretty significantly, at least for my generation. There are still racists out and about, but my generation is all about accepting other people and not being judgmental. They tend to take this too far, only caring about what 'feels' good; but at least they are overall pretty good when it comes to things like racism. The only people they aren't tolerant of is religious people who believe in any sense of absolute morals; especially Christians.

eameece

But as far as MLK Jr. was concerned, poor people did not deserve these cynical views of yours. They deserved more. That's why he organized the poor peoples campaign in 1968. As far as economic opportunity is concerned, blacks and other poor people are probably worse off than they were then, because now there's no social mobility. You are stuck in the economic class you were born in, thanks to Republican and DINO policies.

some other dude

But as far as MLK Jr. was concerned, poor people did not deserve these cynical views of yours. They deserved more. That's why he organized the poor peoples campaign in 1968. As far as economic opportunity is concerned, blacks and other poor people are probably worse off than they were then, because now there's no social mobility. You are stuck in the economic class you were born in, thanks to Republican and DINO policies.

Except that's not true for Warren Buffet or Bill Gates.

Or anybody who has the drive and intelligence to make something of themself.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

How have race relations in the U.S. changed/not changed since the "I Have A Dream" speech?

Since I grew up in the era when there were separate drinking fountains and restrooms for blacks, I think the U.S. has come a long way.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

How have race relations in the U.S. changed/not changed since the "I Have A Dream" speech?

Since I grew up in the era when there were separate drinking fountains and restrooms for blacks, I think the U.S. has come a long way.

I remember that too. They had 'colored' and 'white' water fountains at Woolsworth and some other places. When they passed the new laws in the 60's, and black folks were then allowed to sit at the soda fountain, Woolsworth took out the bar stools so nobody could sit down. I remember thinking that was dumb and it always made me mad cause my feet hurt.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I remember that too. They had 'colored' and 'white' water fountains at Woolsworth and some other places. When they passed the new laws in the 60's, and black folks were then allowed to sit at the soda fountain, Woolsworth took out the bar stools so nobody could sit down. I remember thinking that was dumb and it always made me mad cause my feet hurt.
Feet hurt!!!!!! haha!

But seriously, a lot of stores only had one restroom or one drinking fountain.
In those cases there would be a sign "No negros" or "Whites Only".

I grew up in south central Texas, but now live in northeast Texas with my sister.
It's a town about 50 miles east of Dallas, Texas, called Greenville.

Here is the sign that hung over the entrance to the city before it was finally taken down in the mid 60's.

Greenville.jpg