toldailytopic: Affirmative action. Should government force companies to hire people o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
I've done plenty of thinking, the problem is my thinking contradicts your statements and I can't come up with any logical reasoning which might lead to someone stating what you did. So unless I develop the ability to read minds I can't figure if you've even done any thinking on the subject at all.
Of that I am sure -- you can't come up with any logical reasoning. All I see are vague accusations and vague assertions plus the requests that I do your thinking for you.
Or are you just expecting people to agree with you when ever you post, even when you don't justify a single claim?
See what I mean about vague accusations and vague assertions?

Tyrathca

Of that I am sure -- you can't come up with any logical reasoning.
Are you going to discuss things or are you just going to troll?
All I see are vague accusations and vague assertions
A bit rich coming from someone who's first post in the thread accused all liberals of supporting affirmative action and of desiring to create divisions in the workplace. Then in subsequent posts you mutter stuff about "progressives".

And what have I asserted anyway? That you have not justified your statement? That is obvious to everyone.
plus the requests that I do your thinking for you.
Obviously not, if I wanted you to think for me I'd say "Yes Frank! Of course Frank! Liberals are stupid Frank! What else do you want me to believe Frank? Be a Christian, move to the USA and vote Republican? Yes sir, Frank!"

Instead I asked for your argument and evidence so I can assess the logic and reasoning for myself rather than just take your word on it. In what universe does that count as asking other to "think for me"?
See what I mean about vague accusations and vague assertions?
Simply describing the behaviour I see. I leave the door wide open for you to show otherwise but so far you have chosen not to. I ask you a question about what you say and you choose not to respond to it, so I fill in the blanks as best I can myself.

I notice you are yet to actually address the topic of this thread other than obliquely in your swipe at liberals. I've made several posts on it, care to do the same? Perhaps respond to one of them if you are just going to respond to my current questions with further insults, assertions and general trolling?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
In memory, the label "Progressive" was admitted into the political lexicon back in the late 1940s so the s would appear more palatable to the voters.

Early 1900s. The reform wing of the Republican party.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Are you going to discuss things or are you just going to troll?
Neither, actually. Just playing the "I am superior" game you started.
A bit rich coming from someone who's first post in the thread accused all liberals of supporting affirmative action and of desiring to create divisions in the workplace. Then in subsequent posts you mutter stuff about "progressives".
:rotfl: Wasn't an accusation. It was factual observation, your errant characterization notwithstanding.
And what have I asserted anyway? That you have not justified your statement? That is obvious to everyone.
You have asserted yourself as some intellectually superior arrogating entity. All you did was deny the premise by using yourself as an example. I have no reason to suspect you are universal in that regard. Your replies are the fairly standard muddling tripe I've come to expect from those who try and pass off obfuscating balderdash as rational thought.
Obviously not, if I wanted you to think for me I'd say "Yes Frank! Of course Frank! Liberals are stupid Frank! What else do you want me to believe Frank? Be a Christian, move to the USA and vote Republican? Yes sir, Frank!"
No, you wouldn't. As a liberal you see no difference between dictatorship and rational persuasion. I do agree that some liberals are stupid and thanks for bringing it up. Of course you want someone else to do your thinking for you, preferably someone who will reinforce your bloated self-image.
Instead I asked for your argument and evidence so I can assess the logic and reasoning for myself rather than just take your word on it.
No, you didn't. You made up a scenario which fits your pre-conceived template.
In what universe does that count as asking other to "think for me"?
Simply describing the behaviour I see. I leave the door wide open for you to show otherwise but so far you have chosen not to. I ask you a question about what you say and you choose not to respond to it, so I fill in the blanks as best I can myself.
Pre-conceived arguments, pre-conceived conclusions, not based on anything factual, simply your notion of how your own narrative should proceed.
I notice you are yet to actually address the topic of this thread other than obliquely in your swipe at liberals. I've made several posts on it, care to do the same? Perhaps respond to one of them if you are just going to respond to my current questions with further insults, assertions and general trolling?
I addressed it as far as I needed to. You didn't like it which was a "so what" moment for me.
You can either come up with something tangible or continue to flail wildly in the breeze hoping for some overtly emotional response you can pick at.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Yessirree Bob.

Frankenernest, because he hasn't learned from history, is trying to repeat it.
:rotfl: I counter your Frankenernest with a "The Barboobian."

I am flattered you believe I have the power to repeat history. (The rational basis for that is horrifyingly elusive.) If you should ever open a Bible, read Jeremiah, chapters 23 and 24, for a really great history lesson.

Tyrathca

Neither, actually. Just playing the "I am superior" game you started.
:troll:
No, you wouldn't. As a liberal you see no difference between dictatorship and rational persuasion. I do agree that some liberals are stupid and thanks for bringing it up. Of course you want someone else to do your thinking for you, preferably someone who will reinforce your bloated self-image.
Then why on earth would I ask YOU to think for me? It's not like you'd do anything to flatter my self-image would you? You're not exactly keeping your characterisation of me consistent. :chuckle:
I addressed it as far as I needed to. You didn't like it which was a "so what" moment for me.
So should I assume you aren't going to comment on anything I have said about the topic then? Pity.
You can either come up with something tangible or continue to flail wildly in the breeze hoping for some overtly emotional response you can pick at.
I've been getting tonnes of emotional response, I've been fishing for something intellectual. Something I could sink my teeth into, I guess you don't have that to offer.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Choleric writes:
I see ur still voting for murder.

Actually, since both Obama and McCain endorsed abortion under different conditions, I didn't vote for either of them. I voted for a completely pro-life candidate.

Way to live for Jesus Barb

Yep. If you vote for the lesser of two evils, you're voting for evil.

Who did you vote for, Choleric?

If you're embarrassed to say, just ignore the question; we'll understand.

Frank writes:
I am flattered you believe I have the power to repeat history.

I'm surprised you thought I said you did. Reading isn't one of your top accomplishments, um?

If you should ever open a Bible, read Jeremiah, chapters 23 and 24, for a really great history lesson.

So you didn't vote for Bush? He says the states should decide for themselves if they want to kill the unborn, and in any case, it's justified in cases of rape or incest. Or do you agree with him on that, Frank? Again, if you're embarrassed to say, just ignore the question.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
:troll:
Then why on earth would I ask YOU to think for me? It's not like you'd do anything to flatter my self-image would you? You're not exactly keeping your characterisation of me consistent. :chuckle:So should I assume you aren't going to comment on anything I have said about the topic then? Pity.I've been getting tonnes of emotional response, I've been fishing for something intellectual. Something I could sink my teeth into, I guess you don't have that to offer.
:darwinsm: Guess that takes care of it.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Frank writes:

I'm surprised you thought I said you did. Reading isn't one of your top accomplishments, um?
:rotfl: I doubt if it surprised you, since your perceptions are quite dull.
So you didn't vote for Bush? He says the states should decide for themselves if they want to kill the unborn, and in any case, it's justified in cases of rape or incest. Or do you agree with him on that, Frank? Again, if you're embarrassed to say, just ignore the question.
I voted for Bush in 2000 & 2004. Thanks for asking. If abortion is your singular issue, go for it. I do not have to agree with a candidate on every issue in order to cast a vote. Nor does my vote mean that I agree with a candidate on every single issue.

Let me know when you are finished tap-dancing.

Tyrathca

So so far we only have one person who supports affirmative action, also as Barbarian has shown the USA government does not support affirmative action (what it called affirmative action does not fit with what most posters, including myself, mean when we say it). I think we have a winner then, no affirmative action!

The Berean

Then why do you care?

?????? I have no idea what this means. Did you read my subsequent posts? My comment was about the idea of a company limiting its pool of potential employees then that company is putting itself at a major disadvantage. I later used Silicon Valley as an example since a rather large percentage of software/hardware engineers are Indian, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc. That's not surprising given that those cultures place a high value on education and human capital.

Jabin

?????? I have no idea what this means. Did you read my subsequent posts?

I jumped to a conclusion and I guess I was due for my once-per-century misjump. :crackup:

The reason the government coerces companies to have AA programs is because hiring based on merit has disparate effect on various races. No company practices racial discrimination unless forced by the government. As you appear to know, competitive pressures severely punish acts of racial discrimination.

No tech company would refuse to hire the most qualified, regardless of race. But, that would mean only whites, Indians, and Asians would be hired. No blacks. However, when the government steps in and forces every business to racially discriminate, the competitive pressure against discrimination is eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.