toldailytopic: Are pro sports organizations liable for the longterm injuries that the

wholearmor

I liken this subject to NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car racing. In the NFL, very athletic, large men collide at a high rate of human speed. People are obviously going to be severely injured. In the NHRA, 8,000 horsepower vehicles burning nitro methane fuel travel the 1/4 mile in 4.5 seconds at 330 MPH. People are obviously going to die. I don't agree with the NFL having to compensate injured players and I don't agree with the NHRA shortening the race from 1320 feet to 1000 feet for the fuelers.

And I also don't believe the NHRA should compensate anyone who is injured or killed while racing.

Last edited:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I liken this subject to NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car racing. In the NFL, very athletic, large men collide at a high rate of human speed. People are obviously going to be severely injured. In the NHRA, 8,000 horsepower vehicles burning nitro methane fuel travel the 1/4 mile in 4.5 seconds at 330 MPH.

That's amazing!

People are obviously going to die.

They all know the risks.

I don't agree with the NFL having to compensate injured players and I don't agree with the NHRA shortening the race from 1320 feet to 1000 feet for the fuelers.

And I also don't believe the NHRA should compensate anyone who is injured or killed while racing.

Former NFL players often have no other source of income so they are milking the system as per coaching from the Player's Union and money-grubbing liberal lawyers.

Plus, Roger Goodell is a fag.

rexlunae

True, but millions of dollars also enhance a persons life when they are being paid to play

So, here's how this works. The player signs a contract with the team, which includes a liability waiver, in which they acknowledge that football is a contact sport, and that they are participating of their own choice, and that they are responsible for injuries that they incur in the process of playing that game. In exchange, the team pays them salaries ranging from comfortable to obscene. The player plays, and the team pays, and by contract that's fair and square, up to and including injuries caused in playing the game.

The waiver doesn't cover misconduct and liabilities beyond playing the game. If the team fails to prudently honor medical advice, for instance, there is a possible liability, not because of the injury itself, but because of what happens after. Or, perhaps the team, which has responsibilities toward their players to protect their safety, fails to take reasonable measures. They could be liable for malfeasance. Or, suppose a team decides that instead of playing their game, they will simply attempt to injure as many opponents as possible in exchange for bounties. They might be liable to both lawsuits and criminal assault charges.

No one should sign, and few courts would endorse, a contract that allows an employer carte blanche, especially when it comes to negligence, malfeasance, and criminal acts. The players may be less sympathetic because many of them are very wealthy, but then so are the teams. And shouldn't conservatives all agree that the wealthy are as entitled to justice as anyone else?

How much more can they possibly pay them and continue to be a viable business?

Seriously.... pro sports organizations are struggling right now. The days of unlimited budgets are over. The billion dollar TV contracts are over. If a business does not make a profit that business ends.

None of which is at all relevant to liability. And if the courts do not enforce reasonable standards of conduct, it will encourage a race to the bottom of conduct that will ultimately harm all sports.

All of this is where our legal system is exposed as asinine. A judge should say..... "look pal, you knew that contact sports were a dangerous occupation. And you gladly accepted HUGE sums of money to play that sport. You have personal responsibility in this because you knowingly accepted funds for a job that you knew to be dangerous. This one is on you. - Case dismissed."

If all that the players sue for is getting injured playing sports for pay covered by a waiver, I suspect the suits will not get far. As it should be.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So... what do you think?

Should the NFL and other pro sports organizations be held liable for the injuries that may have a lasting effect on the athletes who played in their sport? Or is it the chance you take to play a contact sport? After all you are being paid a huge sum of money to play in the league.

They probably will be held responsible for the same reason many workers collect for asbestos related injuries.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian laughs:
You'd wet your pants if you face to face with what it's really like.

That's gay.

Billie's out of the closet. Why is no one surprised?

No wonder you're a libertarian.

I replaced the part you deleted.

But teaching my dog to read Shakespeare would take less time.

Barbarian chuckles:
And then he'd be smarter than you. Probably already is.

Shakespeare is for fags...

Which is why you're teaching it to your dog, um?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The fact remains; conservatives loved Bush, and liberals detested him.

I did love some things he did. I detested others. In fact, I can say they exact same thing about the current president, though I can think of far fewer things on the plus side.

Granite

Hall of Fame
They probably will be held responsible for the same reason many workers collect for asbestos related injuries.

As well they should. I love football but the fact that some people are more concerned about losing their sport as opposed to alleviating suffering is...well, it's pretty jaw-dropping.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Says the whiney pompous lib who is incapable of having 'adult conversations' with anyone. :chuckle:

Says TOL's very own race-baiting hick.:loser:

Why don't you get back to threatening to shoot people, like in the old days? That's what you were really good at. Being a big old Internet tough guy.:yawn:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
So... what do you think?

Should the NFL and other pro sports organizations be held liable for the injuries that may have a lasting effect on the athletes who played in their sport? Or is it the chance you take to play a contact sport? After all you are being paid a huge sum of money to play in the league.

I think to be held liable the players would have to show that the NFL knowingly didn't take extra precautions. During the time when some of these players were in the game, we didn't realize the effects that constant blows to the head can cause. So it seems unfair to put this on the league now. However, going forward, with more and more knowledge, the league will need to take more responsibility and I can see more reasonable lawsuits.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned so I apologize if I'm repeating....Kurt Warner has been getting some blowback for his comments about his kids playing football but I agree with him. I don't think I'd want my children playing in the NFL with the potential longterm mental harm.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I was shocked to see Kurt Warner say that he won't let his kids play the game...... If many parents take that approach it won't be long before the league will kill itself off if it doesn't do something.
I'm not shocked at all. I think it's just a parent being concerned about his children playing a game that could cause brain damage.

If it's a question of eliminating or reducing violence and brutality, isn't that a moral victory?

This is probably where it'd start: either the threat of litigation, or parents unwilling to risk the health of their children. In which case they'd encourage their children to play sports other than football, which would dry up the talent pool and end the NFL. I certainly love the game, but if it's a question between Sunday afternoons watching the Pats--or perpetuating a game that no matter what safe guards are taken destroys and degrades lives--then I'd say that sacrificing three hours every week is a small price to pay.
:up:

The NFL (and the NHL) are in a tough spot. Can they get to the spot where they are preventing these types of injuries without changing the game so much that it ceases to be football and hockey? Not an easy problem.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Stop making me look foolish, BillyBob. I might get really mad and tell my boyfriend.

I'm sure he already knows.

Topic:

The other problem is that players often don't report concussions because they don't wanna get pulled from the game. Hines Ward had a concussion last season but pretended it was his ankle that got hurt, for example.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Does anyone think that networks like ESPN should stop glamorizing big hits?

I'm not sure if ESPN still has it but they used to have a segment called "Jacked Up" where they would show that week's hardest hits. I'm sure defensive players loved to get a highlight in it. Should networks start emphasizing those types of things less?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Does anyone think that networks like ESPN should stop glamorizing big hits?

I'm not sure if ESPN still has it but they used to have a segment called "Jacked Up" where they would show that week's hardest hits. I'm sure defensive players loved to get a highlight in it. Should networks start emphasizing those types of things less?
What? And ruin all the fun?

Seriously??

Players like to make big hits and fans like to see it.

My guess is that you didn't play contact sports, am I right? That;s the only reason I can imagine that you would make such a statement. It wouldn't matter if you were on camera or not players are still going to try to make the "big hit". Why? Because it's fun and that's part of the game.