toldailytopic: Are professional athletes overpaid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 9th, 2010 11:12 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

nicholsmom

If they are then the sports industry will soon be bankrupt. So no, they are not overpaid; rather they are paid what the market will bear.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I once considered not drinking beer because I knew it would contribute to their salaries

really, I did consider it

Dena

Yes but what can be done? I don't think the government should have the right to regulate such things.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Supply and Demand.

No, they're not overpaid. They pay what the fans ultimately allow (by default, via their continued support/buying tickets/buying concessions/etc).

The Graphite

How do you discern if you are paying someone "too much" when you are contracting with them to pay them a large sum... before they do the actual work you're paying them for? Bonuses aside, you agree to pay them $____, and then the only question is... whether they earned the money you agreed to pay them up front.

dRock

I agree that they are paid in accordance to the market. Same applies to any position held by anyone. If a company can't make enough money to pay the wages then the employees are overpaid. Likewise, if a company makes more than enough to afford all wages, why should there be a point where someone 'makes too much'?

The Graphite

If Bob is willing to pay $x.xx for something, and Fred is willing to accept $x.xx to give up that something... then who are we to step in and tell Bob:

Oh, no, I realize you're willing to pay that much for it, but if Fred isn't willing to take less than that, then we will force you to keep your money instead of buying it.​

And who are we to say to Fred:

Oh, no, Fred... I realize you're willing to give this thing for only that amount of money, but if Bill isn't willing to give more than that, then we will prevent you from selling it. You will have to keep that thing that you want to give to him and go without that money that Bill wants to hand over to you.​

This is a private relationship between two people, and as long as they aren't breaking a legitimate law -- e.g. selling stolen goods, selling something under fraudulent terms -- then no one has the right or authority to step in and tell them both that they can't do it.

Note, this also applies to labor and the minimum wage.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 9th, 2010 11:12 AM

I'm going to go with some probably are, some are not! I'm certain that all of them are over taxed!

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
To me the issue isn’t how much they are paid but where the money comes from. Professional sports are businesses so the free market should dictate salaries. I don’t mind someone being paid exorbitant amounts if enough people are willing to pay them for the entertainment.

What I do mind are the tax write-offs for tickets purchased by businesses. What I do mind are the raised taxes for stadium/arena construction. To me, that is theft.

Cracked

They should make however much they should make as according to the demand.

However for the Christian athlete who has been blessed with so much, much will be expected. I know that this idea biblically is in the context of knowledge of the truth, however, I can see it apply here as well. Remember the widow's mite?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Didn't we have this same Daily Topic several weeks ago? :think: :chuckle:
But...

I don't think you can say they are overpaid because that implies there is an amount that they should be making, and I'm not sure how that figure would be calculated. Labor can work like a commodity and salary will be what the market says. Professional sports bring in A LOT of income so the athletes get paid a lot. However, I do find it kinda ridiculous what some athletes get paid. Too bad income isn't tied to the value the job has in society.

The Berean

Didn't we have this same Daily Topic several weeks ago? :think: :chuckle:
But...

I don't think you can say they are overpaid because that implies there is an amount that they should be making, and I'm not sure how that figure would be calculated. Labor can work like a commodity and salary will be what the market says. Professional sports bring in A LOT of income so the athletes get paid a lot. However, I do find it kinda ridiculous what some athletes get paid. Too bad income isn't tied to the value the job has in society.

But what is "value"? :think:

The Berean

I guess how much revenue it generates. And since sports brings in the most revenue, I guess athletes SHOULD get paid this much. Problem solved. :chuckle:

So what is the revenue value of chasing :cow: in the field all day long? :think:

P8ntrDan

Professional athletes have become 'gods' in America, and are paid what their 'worshipers' deem them worthy of.

What would be interesting to see is the difference in how much the total combined 'income' of the church is compared to the total combined income of all professional athletes (in America).

Nazaroo

The answer one gives depends upon one's worldview, but the rightness of the answer is not so arbitrary, and must be based upon the correct moral and ethical standard.

An agnostic or atheist economist would say, as some have indicated, "let the market dictate the pay-scale".

But the believing Christian or Jew has no such option: God has spoken often on economic and moral issues.

"By the sweat of your brow you will eat bread."

This prophecy, command, order, as given by the LORD is not difficult to understand. It implies fundamentally that all men and women earn their living. And in order to be just and equitable, it automatically implies a just and fair balance of payment to each and every human being. That is, all should labour more or less equally, according to their abilities, and all should be paid about the same for that labour and effort, in the interests of justice and fairness.

The implication is obvious: If some people are paid significantly more than others for the same basic labour, this is a breach of justice, requiring adjustment and compensation. If some people work significantly less for the same pay, this is a similar breach of justice and fairness. A taxation or re-adjustment system must be put in place and maintained to prevent abominations and atrocities like one man being paid millions or hundreds of millions while another equally honest and talented man is given only a bare subsistance.

Equally, in a fair economic system, people who are able to work but won't would be punished or educated or disciplined and brought into line with others who do an honest day's work.

Some work by nature would be outlawed as dishonest and illegitimate.

peace
Nazaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.