toldailytopic: Causes, projects, and charities, that you feel strongly about and supp

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Graphite

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
As a classical musician, and advocate for the popularization of classical music in America, I believe strongly in the National Endowment For
The Arts, and am absolutely opposed to the abolition of this very important organization because of a few controversial art works.
The NEA supports much more than "obscene art works" , such as
music,dance,drama and other things which no one should find objectionable.
But unfortunately, it gets less than chicken feed from the government.
Conservatives who object to paying for "obscene art" fail to realize
that the government takes LESS THAN A DOLLAR out of each taxpayer a year to support the NEA .
So what is happening to symphony orchestras and opera companies in America because of this? Many of them are going through severe financial hardship. Some have gone under and many are at risk of this.
Salaries for musicians and administrative staffs have had to be cut in many cases, and the number of performances per season of many have had to be shortened.
Private donations do not provide enough to prevent these difficulties.
But in Europe, where generous government support of the arts is taken for granted, orchestras and opera companies flourish .

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Conservatives who object to paying for "obscene art" fail to realize that the government takes LESS THAN A DOLLAR out of each taxpayer a year to support the NEA .

Why should any of my money go to you so that you can toot your horn?

Just because you can't make a living on it, doesn't mean money should be taken from me and given to you.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

TOL :thumb:
Cause it smacks with truth, and with projects like toldailytopcs, I feel strongly that TOL is worth supporting.

Nursing Home Minstries, that's what we do.

Those save as many babies as they can from abortion.

Those who a make home for the unwanted babies and infants who survive the efforts of the mad-abortionist-doctors.

Those who try to see to that those who die unknown, do not wind up in an unmarked grave in a porter's field.

Great causes to support. I will add to that Crisis Pregnancy Centers, Shelters for abused women and children and homeless shelters.

Ps82

As a classical musician, and advocate for the popularization of classical music in America, I believe strongly in the National Endowment For
The Arts, and am absolutely opposed to the abolition of this very important organization because of a few controversial art works.
The NEA supports much more than "obscene art works" , such as
music,dance,drama and other things which no one should find objectionable.
But unfortunately, it gets less than chicken feed from the government.
Conservatives who object to paying for "obscene art" fail to realize
that the government takes LESS THAN A DOLLAR out of each taxpayer a year to support the NEA .
So what is happening to symphony orchestras and opera companies in America because of this? Many of them are going through severe financial hardship. Some have gone under and many are at risk of this.
Salaries for musicians and administrative staffs have had to be cut in many cases, and the number of performances per season of many have had to be shortened.
Private donations do not provide enough to prevent these difficulties.
But in Europe, where generous government support of the arts is taken for granted, orchestras and opera companies flourish .

Whoopee! You have such compassionate goals!

Sorry to be a little sarcastic, but I guess I'm one of those conservatives that you insulted, who does object to my money (even $1) going to something I personally would find offensive. If local artists can't make a living on their talents ... then maybe there isn't much of a market for their talents. They could always use their talents in their churches to glorify the Lord. Local church members might be willing to pay to see some expert worship.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
What you say about local artists "not being able to earn a living
on their own talents" meaning that there isn't an audience for them just
doesn't hold water. There is most definitely an audience for classical music in America.
But symphony orchestras and opera companies require a lot of money to support. Without help, either from the government or from the private sector, they can't survive. Do you realize how many talented musicians are at risk of losing their livelihoods? An awful lot, in all 50 states.
There are about 400 professional orchestras in America, and many,many others,too, and opera companies in all 50 states.
In fact, opera is more popular than ever in America. The number of opera companies in America has grown exponentially in recent years.
But in these tough economic times, orchestras and opera companies
are seriously threatened . In a worse case scenario, if all of them went under, do you realize how many people would be out of work?
It wouldn't be pretty.
Have you ever been to a performance by one of these many
excellent classical music organization ? Do you realize how much they improve the quality of life for people all over America ?
This nation can't afford to lose them. And it would be a national and international disgrace,too.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
What you say about local artists "not being able to earn a living
on their own talents" meaning that there isn't an audience for them just
doesn't hold water. There is most definitely an audience for classical music in America.
But symphony orchestras and opera companies require a lot of money to support. Without help, either from the government or from the private sector, they can't survive. Do you realize how many talented musicians are at risk of losing their livelihoods? An awful lot, in all 50 states.
There are about 400 professional orchestras in America, and many,many others,too, and opera companies in all 50 states.
In fact, opera is more popular than ever in America. The number of opera companies in America has grown exponentially in recent years.
But in these tough economic times, orchestras and opera companies
are seriously threatened . In a worse case scenario, if all of them went under, do you realize how many people would be out of work?
It wouldn't be pretty.
Have you ever been to a performance by one of these many
excellent classical music organization ? Do you realize how much they improve the quality of life for people all over America ?
This nation can't afford to lose them. And it would be a national and international disgrace,too.

I agree, classical music is great, as with many types of music. However, you need to support yourselves, not look for handouts. Private support is fine, but no government support because that robs tax payer of the choice to support you and you are not special.

Four O'Clock

I tend to just give to people that I meet, rather than go through an organization.

As for a cause they I feel strongly about - I believe that Christians need to realize the importance of the Gospel within Christianity. It is not simply our foundation, it is also our primary job as Christians, and all of the theological bickering should take second place to it. We should be united under the Gospel, for if there is one thing that the Roman Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox Church, and all of the Protestant Churches share - it is the message of the Gospel.

With all the bias in each thread started in this 'toldailytopic' thread by the TOL regs, who seem to think their topics are the real, pertinent ''bomb"(tho I think it basically a good thread) your words outweigh virtually any other comment I've heard thusfar. Kudos my friend...

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Compassion International
Samaritan's Purse
Salvation Army Angel Tree
The Bible Answer Man (Hank Hannegraff)
World Missionary Evangelism
Thru the Bible J. Vernon McGee
World Vision
Alternatives Pregnancy Center

Last edited: