toldailytopic: Does a Christian lose their salvation every time they sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 19th, 2011 09:49 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Does a Christian lose his salvation every time he sins?

As most here know, Catholic doctrine doesn't teach "once saved, always saved."

Baptism is necessary (John 3:5) and it's good that we can confess our sins and receive forgiveness through the mercy of God because:

Hebrews 10

For if we willfully persist in sin after having received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has violated the law of Moses dies without mercy "on the testimony of two or three witnesses." How much worse punishment do you think will be deserved by those who have spurned the Son of God, profaned the blood of the covenant by which they were sanctified, and outraged the Spirit of grace? For we know the one who said, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge his people." 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

Nope. Those who are truly 'Christian' have been sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption of our bodies. He that has begun a good work in me will complete it.

Little children don't sin......but if you do sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous, and he is faithful and just to forgive us of all sin.

Sin grieves the Holy Spirit which dwells within us, damages our ongoing relationship with GOD and renders us unfruitful and unempowered for His use.

Those who are truly 'Sons' will experience chastisement from the Father, to bring forth 'the peaceable fruit of righteousness'. Those who are illegitimate will experience no chastisement.

If one (*edit-could lose) loses one's salvation for a sin, then there is no way to regain salvation because Christ would have to die again. Jesus paid the penalty for all sin, past, present and future. 'Tetelestai'- it is finished/paid in full.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If one loses one's salvation for a sin, then there is no way to regain salvation because Christ would have to die again. Jesus paid the penalty for all sin, past, present and future. 'Tetelestai'- it is finished/paid in full.

aren't you contradicting yourself?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:think: I once knew a guy who believed that......he also believed that every time you repented you had to be re-baptized.

I told him that if that were the case I think I would just spend the rest of my life sitting in a bathtub. :plain:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
:think: I once knew a guy who believed that......he also believed that every time you repented you had to be re-baptized.

I told him that if that were the case I think I would just spend the rest of my life sitting in a bathtub. :plain:

Doesn't sound much like 'good news(gospel)' to me. :dizzy:

elohiym

If we are not going to ignore a good portion of the Bible and several fundamental principles of scripture, a Christian that has not yet ceased from sin is still not converted and not saved. It's not that the person lost his salvation, but that he was never converted in the first place, which is why that person is still in bondage to sin.

Last edited:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Sounds like Armenianism. I don't agree with this doctrine. Losing your salvation each time you sin, is the same mindset that an Old Testament Jew has. Each time he sins, he has to take a lamb, an Ox or some other animal and sacrifice it on the altar to pay the price for his sin. Jesus only needed to die once to pardon us for our sin. It is up to us to accept that pardon. Once we do, our sins are gone. We don't lose our salvation for every sin we commit afterward. They are forgiven.

elohiym

Once we do, our sins are gone.

If our sins "are gone," then how do we still sin?

Sins taken away means the sins are gone, but if one is still sinning, obviously that person's sins have not been taken away from that person's perspective.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
That last bit is new on me. Unbelievable. Did he by any chance run a baptizing business?

If I remember correctly he figured that if you slipped back into Sin then obviously the first (or whatever) Baptism you had didn't take....so do-over! :D

if you commit MORTAL sin, the answer is Yes..

But if you turn to Jesus, do things that cause grace to descend into your soul... you can get him back again

Paulos

Hebrews 10:26-31

For if we willfully persist in sin after having received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has violated the law of Moses dies without mercy "on the testimony of two or three witnesses." How much worse punishment do you think will be deserved by those who have spurned the Son of God, profaned the blood of the covenant by which they were sanctified, and outraged the Spirit of grace? For we know the one who said, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge his people." 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

2 Peter 2:20-21
20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.
21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.

Hebrews 6:4-8
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,
5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age
6 and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.
7 Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God.
8 But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.

Nope. Those who are truly 'Christian' have been sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption of our bodies. He that has begun a good work in me will complete it.

Little children don't sin......but if you do sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous, and he is faithful and just to forgive us of all sin.

Sin grieves the Holy Spirit which dwells within us, damages our ongoing relationship with GOD and renders us unfruitful and unempowered for His use.

Those who are truly 'Sons' will experience chastisement from the Father, to bring forth 'the peaceable fruit of righteousness'. Those who are illegitimate will experience no chastisement.

If one (*edit-could lose) loses one's salvation for a sin, then there is no way to regain salvation because Christ would have to die again. Jesus paid the penalty for all sin, past, present and future. 'Tetelestai'- it is finished/paid in full.

you are way off on t he 1st and last paragraphs

if you sin you have an advocate... but when one sins, he must TURN to that advocate and DO what that Advocate says, EVERYTHING HE says... and then grace will begin to flow back on your soul...

Jesus established a CHURCH which we are required to be a member of... We are required to do all that this Church says to do whne we fall into sin, fall from grace.. go to confession, pray fervently, do good to make up for the bad we have done (expiation).

not all priests in said Original Church are going to tell you this kind of thing. unfortunatley the devil has infiltrated the Church... oh, that's right that happened at Day One (Judas... bad popes... etc)... But anyhow, the devil is really attacking the Church today, more than ever.. trying to liberalize it... water down certain of its teachings...

but the Church will never fail, even if its member do... and of course, they always do... Jesus promised that the very gates of hell would NOT prevail against His Church (St Mt 16:18)

If one prays the rosary, one will restore his lost relationship or intimacy w/ Christ..

If one attends Mass frequently, ditto...

"be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect" .. St Mt 5;48

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't sin. It is impossible for me to sin, all things are legal. Slide me the BLT. However, all things are not profitable.

I can't lose salvation, because it isn't mine to gain or lose. Christ reconciled the world unto himself, settling the sin issue at the cross. I have accepted the gift, and he has said he would never let go. I will never be snatched from his hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.