toldailytopic: How does God handle babies when they die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstarrett

bybee, when I first came here I was naive about all the various flavors of Christian belief. While I had heard the concept of universalism discussed, I had never known an adherent, or even known that there were many adherents. I find universalism a disgusting concept, one that spits on the sacrifice of Jesus.

I was going to stay out of this, but...

Please explain why you

find universalism a disgusting concept,

and especially how it

spits on the sacrifice of Jesus.

Arthur Brain

Yes Arthur, I understand that you like to pretend salvation is universal. Unfortunately, that's not scripturally supportable.

Yes it is. Funnily enough I've asked you at least three times to display your knowledge of the original texts/translations, and the emergence of eternal hell as mainstream doctrine on previous discussions and was completely ignored.

:plain:

Arthur Brain

bybee, when I first came here I was naive about all the various flavors of Christian belief. While I had heard the concept of universalism discussed, I had never known an adherent, or even known that there were many adherents. I find universalism a disgusting concept, one that spits on the sacrifice of Jesus.

And as for enraging Arthur? I asked him to stop personalizing this.

I'd prefer to argue scripture than insults.

Hmm. So SOD finds the concept of the reconciliation of all to God disgusting yet finds the concept of billions of children being consigned to eternal suffering acceptable and supportable. That pretty much says it all...

Samstarrett

If everybody is saved, Jesus' sacrifice is unnecessary.

Wrong. The Christian Universalist teaches that all are ultimately saved because of Jesus's sacrifice. He does not deny the necessity of the sacrifice of Christ to effect the salvation of all men; rather, he affirms its absolute efficacy in effecting the salvation of all men. Christian Universalism glorifies the sacrifice of Christ in a way separationism can never do, because only the Christian Universalist can simultaneously believe that Christ's sacrifice was meant to save all men(not only an arbitrary elect as in Calvinism) and that it was successful.

If you believe in Unlimited Atonement(that Christ's death was for all men) and do not believe in Universal Salvation, you believe that there are men Christ died for who are not saved. If any view "spits on Christ's sacrifice," it's not the one that says He was wholly successful.

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

OK, let's back it up.

What asinine quips?

You cut a response of mine to the word 'why' and then did your bog standard crap of accusing me of 'whining' after I'd asked you why it should cause you any discomfort to address the issue of miscarriages etc. That was nothing more than an asinine quip so get a grip and quit with it.

some other dude

Wrong. The Christian Universalist teaches that all are saved because of Jesus's sacrifice.

That's silly. Or else Jesus isn't God.

If you believe in Unlimited Atonement(that Christ's death was for all men)

I believe Christ's death made salvation available for all men.

and do not believe in Universal Salvation,

I don't.

you believe that there are men Christ died for who are not saved.

Yes, scripture is clear on this.

If any view "spits on Christ's sacrifice," it's not the one that says He was wholly successful.

Only if you believe He intended to force salvation on all. I believe He came to offer it to all.

Just like scripture says.

some other dude

Hmm. So SOD finds the concept of the reconciliation of all to God disgusting yet finds the concept of billions of children being consigned to eternal suffering acceptable and supportable. That pretty much says it all...

Well then Arthur, just accept that you'll never understand my position and take your sorry act somewhere else.

some other dude

You cut a response of mine to the word 'why' and then did your bog standard crap of accusing me of 'whining' after I'd asked you why it should cause you any discomfort to address the issue of miscarriages etc. That was nothing more than an asinine quip so get a grip and quit with it.

whiny, whiny, whiny

What a little girl.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

God did not "consign" billions of children to eternal suffering apart from Adam bringing sin and death into the world . . . which sinfulness and resultant deaath was imputed to all his offspring.

The fate of babies is totally caused by Adam.

Except for the grace of God, who chooses to save many souls in infancy.

If it were not for God's determination to save many infant souls, all babies would suffer hell because of inherited sin.

Nang

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The Platonists disagree with you. Consider reading the Symposium (Plato), On the Nature of the Good (St. Augustine), the Elements of Theology (Proclus), etc. Every man innately desires The Good.

Philosophers are finite humans, whose wisdom cannot begin to compare with the wisdom of God . . .which is found in the Holy Scriptures.

e.g. Romans 3:10-12

Nang

Samstarrett

That's silly. Or else Jesus isn't God.

:AMR: That doesn't make any sense at all. The Deity of Christ is in no way connected to the extent of salvation. You can with perfect consistency be a Universalist who doesn't affirm the Deity, or who does, or a separationist who doesn't affirm the Deity, or who does.

I believe Christ's death made salvation available for all men.

So I believe Christ's death saves men, and you believe it makes them savable, and yet somehow my view is the one that "spits on the sacrifice." Really...

No duh.

Yes, scripture is clear on this.

Hardly. Or, please cite.

Only if you believe He intended to force salvation on all. I believe He came to offer it to all.

If He didn't intend it as a matter of "force," belief would not be the criterion. All rational beliefs are "forced" by reasoning. No rational belief is "chosen" based on one's desires, except the desire to find the truth, whatever it may be. If He'd wanted to give a "choice," He would have made the situation clear and asked people whether they wanted to go to Heaven or Hell. That's not what happened.

Just like scripture says.

Where?

Arthur Brain

Well then Arthur, just accept that you'll never understand my position and take your sorry act somewhere else.

Oh? How am I misrepresenting your view dude? You've just said you find the concept of universal salvation disgusting. You're also saying that the concept of babies being consigned to eternal suffering supportable. Then bizarrely, in your last response to Sam you say that Jesus came to offer salvation to all. How does one offer salvation to a baby who has no concept of what it actually is? :freak:

elohiym

The fate of babies is totally caused by Adam.

You believe Adam elected the wicked by sinning?

Except for the grace of God, who chooses to save many souls in infancy.

Your god doesn't want to save all souls, so it cannot be God.

If it were not for God's determination to save many infant souls, all babies would suffer hell because of inherited sin.

There is no such thing as inherited sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.