toldailytopic: Is it a sin to drink alcoholic beverages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"People should be aware of when they feel they're starting to feel tipsy, though, and stop."
But not all people are aware. Some say that for drunks there is no "last" beer or wine.

Similarly, when people fall asleep at the wheel, a portion of their brain begins to shut down and they are unaware of it. I am sure that alcohol and fatigue work differently in the brain, but I would argue that it's not a good idea to mess with the brain in the first place. It's not worth it.

And practically, the DUI laws are so strict now. Isn't it better to not have the concern when driving home?

And practically, the DUI laws are so strict now. Isn't it better to not have the concern when driving home?

If you're going to drive after you drink, then I agree with you. There should be zero tolerance on that. But, if you're at home with trusted people, be very careful and practice moderation. I've never had alcohol, so I really can't say how one will know when their mind is being distorted. I'm sure there are some people who know their limit.

King David

No person took their first drink thinking they'd become an alcoholic

No person took their first drink thinking they'd become an alcoholic

Budweiser or one/some of the beer companies some years ago ran a campaign that said, "Know when to say when". Of course, like most anything beer and tobacco companies run for "responsible" use of their products is largely nonsense.

What I mean is, drinking alcoholic beverages, by its very nature, takes one to where judgment is impaired. So they knew that the ad was phony, because those who will drink too much will drink too much, in part, because drinking is addictive, its effects are (sometimes) initially, at least, pleasing, and it impairs one's judgment in many areas. Does one know when they are really too soused to know when to stop? Most of the time, NO!

15-20 years back, also, MADD or some such entity mounted an anti-drinking campaign. Locally there was a billboard with comedian Dom DeLuise on it saying that no person ever took their first alcoholic drink thinking they would become an alcoholic.

9/11 was bad. But the number of people who die, are injured for life, and the lives that are ruined by the effects of alcohol make 9/11 look like NOTHING!

More crimes are committed "under the influence" of alcohol than any other drug. And make no mistake, thought it is "legal" for adults to buy and consume, it makes it no less of a drug than cocaine, heroin, meth, or anything else!

csuguy

The alcohol did not have an hallucinogen. The point is, we should be informed. God gave us a brain and we should not do anything to distort our perceptions (Eph 5:18). We have enough in this world to battle (Eph 6:12). Each is free to make his or her own decision of course (1 Cor 10:23); but if a person is getting drunk, it is an indication that something is wrong. We should rather be filled with the spirit of God. That is where real joy is.

Alcohol always has distorted our perceptions - that's what it does! It did it then too. You have no argument.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
If you're going to drive after you drink, then I agree with you. There should be zero tolerance on that. But, if you're at home with trusted people, be very careful and practice moderation. I've never had alcohol, so I really can't say how one will know when their mind is being distorted. I'm sure there are some people who know their limit.
I think you're right. And there are others who don't know their limit. Drinking (in my opinion and I don't obligate you)--does not lead to good things (Pr 23:29,30).

Sozo again

If you can't drink and practice self-control, don't do it.

(Hoping that no one is smart enough to use this same argument about posting on internet forums) :noid:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
""Know when to say when". Of course, like most anything beer and tobacco companies run for "responsible" use of their products is largely nonsense."
I agree. I think the alcohol companies are interested in selling more liquor. I don't think they care that their product causes misery (Pr 23:29,30).

"9/11 was bad. But the number of people who die, are injured for life, and the lives that are ruined by the effects of alcohol make 9/11 look like nothing!"
That's right. And in the end times, it may be hard to find food to eat but there will be no shortage of alcohol (Rev. 6:5–6). "Isn’t it interesting that there will not be enough foodstuff, not enough barley for food, but there will be enough barley to make liquor!"
McGee, J. V. (1997, c1981). Thru the Bible commentary. Based on the Thru the Bible radio program. (electronic ed.) (5:942). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

"More crimes are committed "under the influence" of alcohol than any other drug. And make no mistake, thought it is "legal" for adults to buy and consume, it makes it no less of a drug than cocaine, heroin, meth, or anything else!"
It's addictive so obviously people should use common sense (Lu 21:34). Men don't beat up their wives after a cigar or cigarette (Isa 5:11).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.