toldailytopic: Is it a sin to drink alcoholic beverages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 20th, 2009 11:09 AM

toldailytopic: Is it a sin to drink alcoholic beverages?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sozo again

"And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit"

I've never been drunk on grape juice.

DocJohnson

Some say the wine mentioned in the Bible was just grape juice.

How would you respond to that?

The reason people drank wine in those days was due to the lack of refrigeration... things spoiled rather quickly. Fermentation was a way to preserve it.

AvedYahweh

Two different words in greek, one for fermented juices (wine) and one for non-fermented. The bible approves of drinking alcohol, including both wine and "strong drink" or liquor, but the two things that it prohibits are 1. being drunk and 2. drinking "mixed drinks". this is not rum and coke. This is mixing narcotics in with your alcohol.

AvedYahweh

The reason people drank wine in those days was due to the lack of refrigeration... things spoiled rather quickly. Alcohol was added as a preservative.

I have heard this argument before. The problem is, there is absolutely no historical evidence of it being true. Are you able to provide any? Other than some guy saying there is, of course, but real documented evidence?

DocJohnson

The reason people drank wine in those days was due to the lack of refrigeration... things spoiled rather quickly. Fermentation was a way to preserve it.

I have heard this argument before. The problem is, there is absolutely no historical evidence of it being true. Are you able to provide any? Other than some guy saying there is, of course, but real documented evidence?

From Wiki...

The primary benefit of fermentation is the conversion of sugars and other carbohydrates, e.g., converting juice into wine, grains into beer, carbohydrates into carbon dioxide to leaven bread, and sugars in vegetables into preservative organic acids.

Food fermentation has been said to serve five main purposes:

1. enrichment of the diet through development of a diversity of flavors, aromas, and textures in food substrates

2. preservation of substantial amounts of food through lactic acid, alcohol, acetic acid and alkaline fermentations

3. biological enrichment of food substrates with protein, essential amino acids, essential fatty acids, and vitamins

4. elimination of antinutrients

5. a decrease in cooking times and fuel requirements

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Some say the wine mentioned in the Bible was just grape juice.

How would you respond to that?

Doesn't jibe with the guests at the wedding in question being surprised by the good wine being served late. To anyone who imbibes what is being noted is a habit of turning out the good stuff while the palate and head can appreciate them, before the taste buds are sufficiently numbed that lesser product can't be easily differentiated . :cheers:

AvedYahweh

Ok, so this shows what happens, but with all due respect, my question was not answered. How does this show that this is the reason why they drank wine 2000 years ago and not for pleasure?

DocJohnson

Ok, so this shows what happens, but with all due respect, my question was not answered. How does this show that this is the reason why they drank wine 2000 years ago and not for pleasure?

Actually, archeologists believe the process began 8000 years ago. They seem to have reached the same conclusion I did as to why it was done (five reasons listed above). I'm not discouting pleasure as one of those reasons, but it certainly wasn't the primary reason.

AvedYahweh

Actually, archeologists believe the process began 8000 years ago. They seem to have reached the same conclusion I did as to why it was done (five reasons listed above). I'm not discouting pleasure as one of those reasons, but it certainly wasn't the primary reason.

OK, so first, I want to ask just to make sure - are you saying that now that we have proper preservation methods, it is now a sin to drink alcohol? Second, how did these archaeologists determine that this was the reason behind making alcohol?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Okay, hold up. Doc, assuming all you've said on the subject of wine as absolutely true it doesn't change the fact that wine gets you drunk and the folks who made it and drank it were aware of that fact.

It doesn't address the question. It's not as if wine were the only beverage in existence and they had to suffer the indignity of imbibing alcohol or die of dehydration.

God gave us water to drink and it's the perfect drink for us. Nothing else comes close. And yet Jesus turned perfect, pure, Godly water into wine, something men came up with, and didn't seem to have any problem with that.

DocJohnson

Okay, hold up. Doc, assuming all you've said on the subject of wine as absolutely true it doesn't change the fact that wine gets you drunk and the folks who made it and drank it were aware of that fact.

It doesn't address the question. It's not as if wine were the only beverage in existence and they had to suffer the indignity of imbibing alcohol or die of dehydration.

God gave us water to drink and it's the perfect drink for us. Nothing else comes close. And yet Jesus turned perfect, pure, Godly water into wine, something men came up with, and didn't seem to have any problem with that.

Hi, Mary. I already addressed the issue in post #3.

DocJohnson

OK, so first, I want to ask just to make sure - are you saying that now that we have proper preservation methods, it is now a sin to drink alcohol? Second, how did these archaeologists determine that this was the reason behind making alcohol?

1. Nope.

2. Because they used the same fermentation methods on other foods... not just grapes.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is it a sin to drink alcoholic beverages?
Not drinking alcohol is living a clean life. I'm so in favor of a clean life that I drink to it all the time.

That's almost a joke. I don't suppose someone could improve on it?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER

I hear it is rather difficult to even buy grape juice in Israel to this day!

Status
Not open for further replies.