toldailytopic: Is it a sin to drink alcoholic beverages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

Some say the wine mentioned in the Bible was just grape juice.

How would you respond to that?

I'd point out that fermentation ends when the yeast is killed by the alcohol. Grape juice contains yeast from the grape skins, which is what starts the fermentation process. God knows this, yet he gave them, and us, the communion ritual on Passover when he forbid the possession and consumption of yeast (a sin). Therefore, the wine of communion that represents Christ's blood must have been alcoholic, else it was full of the yeast God forbid.

DocJohnson

Can you prove that?

I can quote scripture.

Romans 13:13

Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.

1 Corinthians 5:11

But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

Galatians 5...

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions
21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 20th, 2009 11:09 AM

toldailytopic: Is it a sin to drink alcoholic beverages?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Not at all. :cheers:

elohiym

I can quote scripture.

I didn't ask you if you could prove drunkenness is a sin, but if being intoxicated is a sin.

intoxicated (adj) - affected by or as if by alcohol.

drunken (adj) - given to habitual excessive use of alcohol.

It's impossible to drink alcohol without becoming intoxicated (thank God).

It is possible to drink alcohol without being a drunkard.

:cheers:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I didn't ask you if you could prove drunkenness is a sin, but if being intoxicated is a sin.

:cheers:

I'll drink to that. :cheers:

DocJohnson

If you can prove that the Bible makes that distinction, please feel free.

AvedYahweh

I'd point out that fermentation ends when the yeast is killed by the alcohol. Grape juice contains yeast from the grape skins, which is what starts the fermentation process. God knows this, yet he gave them, and us, the communion ritual on Passover when he forbid the possession and consumption of yeast (a sin). Therefore, the wine of communion that represents Christ's blood must have been alcoholic, else it was full of the yeast God forbid.

Very interesting, I don't know about anybody else, but I had never thought of this.

DocJohnson

Did Jesus become intoxicated when he drank alcohol?

in⋅tox⋅i⋅cate [verb] - to affect temporarily with diminished physical and mental control by means of alcoholic liquor, a drug, or another substance, esp. to excite or stupefy with liquor.

No.

elohiym

in⋅tox⋅i⋅cate [verb] - to affect temporarily with diminished physical and mental control by means of alcoholic liquor, a drug, or another substance, esp. to excite or stupefy with liquor.

No.

Do you believe every other human being becomes intoxicated to some extent when they drink alcohol?

elohiym

We don't know from the bible. Most people just say no because they think getting drunk is a sin. Jesus didn't sin, therefore he didn't get drunk.

Yeah, I get that.

It makes little sense that God would require people to drink alcohol for communion when every human being becomes intoxicated to some degree when they drink.

And so the discussion devolves into an argument over how much intoxication is sin. Moving target legalism at its worst. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.