toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to public school

Breathe

I agree with this but in today's world lots of parents don't do this. How many parents come to a school's Open House? One of my best friends is a high school teacher and I can't count how many times she get frustrated because many parents are not involved in their child's education. My friend's biggest concern is that many parents don't care about their child's education at all. What about the kids who parents are NOT involved? What is your experience with them? :think:
My basic point through all of this has been that parental involvement is the key to getting a good education in public, private or home school situations. Obviously when parents are not involved, the outcome is not as good. But then, I never claimed it was.

No, it is not a fact. It's your opinion. Do have statistics to back that up?
Well, let me see...little Johnny goes to school with 600 other kids (a medium sized public school, maybe). Little Joe is home schooled with his 3 other brothers. Which child is around more children during the day? I thought you tutored math...
Me not having kids is irreverent to the points I've made. I posted observations, and information I learned from parents who home schooled their kids. How is my status as anon-parent relevant to the information and views that home schooling parents have?
It is very relevant. When you have direct experience with something, your opinions carry more authority.

I've done a lot more than just "talk to parents". I've tutored kids through out my life from first graders to college kids in math and science. I recently tutored my 17 year old niece in math. I even considered becoming a math/science teach at one point in my life. Granted, I haven't taught formally in a school settling but I was good at "teaching" kids.
So you think the occasional tutoring job equates with specialized study of - methods of teaching, child psychology, learning disabilities, counseling, first aid, intense field of study in one's chosen discipline - and years of hands on classroom experience? No.
Given the lack of teaching skills I've seen from many, many teachers I've had over my life I have no doubt I am a better "teacher" than many "certified" teachers. According to this article teaching certificates have no bearing on the quality of a teacher.

Then you should go out and attempt to get a job teaching children and influencing their lives. See how far you get. It is a huge responsibility to teach children. I would much rather my child be taught by someone who has been educated to do so, as opposed to someone with no more than a high school education and a set of books they bought from the home schooling association.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to government run public school?

In most cases no, but in some rural areas and pocket areas of some smaller cities, there are some good ones to be found still, who could care less that atheists dont want them to mention God and they do it anyway.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
There are a lot of parents who depend on themselves and their churches to teach kids about God, instead of hoping the government will do an adequate job of it.

For them, public schools are a good thing. For those who think the government is the best way to teach children about God, not such a good idea.

Choose wisely.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
There are a lot of parents who depend on themselves and their churches to teach kids about God, instead of hoping the government will do an adequate job of it.

For them, public schools are a good thing. For those who think the government is the best way to teach children about God, not such a good idea.

Choose wisely.
And yet it is the reverse regarding who actually send their children to public school.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

Choose wisely.

And yet it is the reverse regarding who actually send their children to public school.

If you think so, you know nothing at all of the people who send their kids to public schools. The people who are pushing hardest for the public schools to teach whatever their particular version of religion is, are generally those who keep their kids out of public schools.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Choose wisely.

If you think so, you know nothing at all of the people who send their kids to public schools. The people who are pushing hardest for the public schools to teach whatever their particular version of religion is, are generally those who keep their kids out of public schools.
All the home school parents I know believe it is not, and never should be, the government's job to teach such things to children; in fact, most of them think the government should stay out of education altogether.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
All the home school parents I know believe it is not, and never should be, the government's job to teach such things to children; in fact, most of them think the government should stay out of education altogether.

Not much of a sample, is it? On the other hand, the people out in front, trying to put religious instructions in public school are mostly homeschooling their kids.

Want some examples?

And if they don't agree with the principles on which America was founded, why are they living here? Wouldn't they be happier in a country that depends on homeschooling?

It seems a bit inconsistent to want the benefits of a strong public school system, while decrying the fact that it exists. But logical consistency is not a virtue of many of those folks.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Sometimes, regardless of your religious affiliation or preference, private or homeschooling is simply not an option. And the weird Christian caricature of public schools doesn't have much to do with reality.

StanJ53

Sometimes, regardless of your religious affiliation or preference, private or homeschooling is simply not an option. And the weird Christian caricature of public schools doesn't have much to do with reality.

Yes I agree. A lot of it is second hand rhetoric.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Not much of a sample, is it? On the other hand, the people out in front, trying to put religious instructions in public school are mostly homeschooling their kids.
Why would they care what the public school teaches if they don't send their kids to public school?

And if they don't agree with the principles on which America was founded, why are they living here? Wouldn't they be happier in a country that depends on homeschooling?
Because it's so easy to pack up and move to another country.:rolleyes:

It seems a bit inconsistent to want the benefits of a strong public school system, while decrying the fact that it exists. But logical consistency is not a virtue of many of those folks.
What benefits?

Clem

All schools are the servants of Statism, and Statism makes God very unhappy.
Exceptions I know of are Montessori Schools and perhaps any school
where the staff are not into 'crowd control through bullying and blackmail'.
And, sadly, I think many 'faith schools' are more guilty of this latter 'crime'.
Judge a school on the manners and happiness of it's students.
And be warned that happiness without manners may be just as bad as manners without happiness,
although the former might be hard to correct
and the latter may put some 'victims' off any kind of discipline for life.