toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to public school

The Glory Land

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 8th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to government run public school?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I went to a Public School, just look at me now...:D

obama_smart_is_cool_mug.jpg

drbrumley

My son did very well in public school - and in a state run university. But you can't just throw them out into ANY school without committing yourself to be involved in their educational process from beginning to end.

So the indoctrination process went well then I take it?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Wise? In some cases it is wiser than home schooling, in other cases, home schooling may be wiser.

My children go to public school but that does not mean that we abandoned them to the public schools. We are very involved with our children. We talk to them, we know their friends, we volunteer in their extra curricular activities and take them on trips. As a result, our kids have done very well. They are in honors and AP courses and they have good, solid friends. We have not had troubles with drugs or gangs.

What counts the most is loving your child and being involved with them. Never abandon them to anybody else.

^ This.

Very well said.

Breathe

So the indoctrination process went well then I take it?
Considering that I did not want to isolate him from the world he would have to live in someday, he is remarkably free of ANY indoctrinated notions - especially the one that makes some people feel that their religious beliefs make them superior to all others.

Buzzword

What is wise is for a parent to be a PARENT.

"Train up a child in the way he should go", and then LET HIM GO.

Whether his/her training is tested tomorrow or fifteen years from now, it WILL be tested.
Would you rather it be tested when he/she is trying to pay bills, or when he/she is under your roof and can bring concerns from the outside world back into the haven you have created for him/her?

If you have been and continue to be a PARENT, then there is nothing to fear from public school or being IN PUBLIC at all.

The problems start when parents expect public schools to do the parenting for them, or when homeschooling parents start teaching their children (by example) that the outside world is a dark and scary place which is constantly trying to "corrupt" them.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
However, there are obvious similarities between smaller theropods and *actual* birds (vs. strangely drawn cartoon characters).

What does that have to do with animals morphing into other animals? Which goes directly agaisnt what God says in his Bible. Not that you believe him.

drbrumley

Considering that I did not want to isolate him from the world he would have to live in someday, he is remarkably free of ANY indoctrinated notions

I'm sorry you think homeschoolers are an isolated bunch, just shows you don't know much....

- especially the one that makes some people feel that their religious beliefs make them superior to all others.

Who would you be referring too by that? If you say christians, again you don't know much...

Alate_One

Strangely drawn cartoon characters.
Accurate representations of skeletal structure. You can keep ignoring reality but trying to shield children from it is dangerous to their faith.

What does that have to do with animals morphing into other animals? Which goes directly agaisnt what God says in his Bible. Not that you believe him.
You mean the part about the earth bringing forth living creatures?

As far as "morphing" when you find one set of creatures only BEFORE another set of creatures that share very clear anatomical features with the first group with many creatures intermediate between the two, it's fairly logical to assume one is the buried ancestor of the other.

It ain't rocket science, and people realized it long before evolution was proposed as a scientific theory. Another option to explain the appearance and disappearance of organisms is progressive creation, something held by the Great Charles Spurgeon.

"But if you will look in the first chapter of Genesis, you will see there more particularly set forth that peculiar operation of power upon the universe which was put forth by the Holy Spirit; you will then discover what was his special work. In Ge 1:2, we read, “And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.” We do not know how remote the period of the creation of this globe may be—certainly many millions of years before the time of Adam. Our planet has passed through various stages of existence, and different kinds of creatures have lived on its surface, all of which have been fashioned by God.

This Charming Manc

The view that the government is evil, and all government is a liberal plot to usurp God, will lead people to a particular conclusion.

However for those of who live in the real world ....

Breathe

I'm sorry you think homeschoolers are an isolated bunch, just shows you don't know much....
You have to admit that kids who are home schooled are somewhat more isolated than kids who aren't - keeping your kids away from people who don't share their parents' beliefs is one of the reasons people home school to begin with. I know that there are social and academic activities for home schooled kids - but the very nature of the experience is limiting in it's scope.

Who would you be referring too by that? If you say christians, again you don't know much...
I am referring to people like you, who jump on someone for advocating responsible and involved parenting that doesn't require home schooling.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
When I was in college you could always tell the kids that had come from very sheltered back grounds. For most of these kids it was the first time they were out from under Mom and Dads direct control. you could tell this from the fact that nearly every one of them made extremely poor choices. They simply had no idea how to deal with the readily available alcohol, sex and drugs. It was sad to watch these kids flunk out.

It is not our job as parents to protect our kids from things we don't like. It is our job as parents to teach our kids how to deal with things in life whether we like them or not.

IMJerusha

I think there is benefit in doing both but the public school education must be well monitored and false information such as evolution has to be countered with solid Biblically scientific information. The social environment has to be well monitored as well. I've witnessed too many homeschooled children out here in the country where we live and they're timid or just flat unsocialized. Homeschooling might be the better course of action in the cities where there are more things to do socially. The Amish children here are better equipped to deal with the world. They are taught together within their community and their parents take them into the world to experience it and become familiar with its stumbling blocks. I don't understand parents who homeschool their children and turn them loose in colleges. I've seen the disastrous effect of that foolishness way too many times. Even the small town colleges present enormous problems for homeschooled students. It takes real diligent parents bent on teaching not just facts and figures but also teaching the subtle wiles of HaSatan through people. Those sorts of parents are few and far between.

The Berean

You have to admit that kids who are home schooled are somewhat more isolated than kids who aren't - keeping your kids away from people who don't share their parents' beliefs is one of the reasons people home school to begin with. I know that there are social and academic activities for home schooled kids - but the very nature of the experience is limiting in it's scope.

I am referring to people like you, who jump on someone for advocating responsible and involved parenting that doesn't require home schooling.
This is simply untrue. I have several friends who "home-school" their kids. From my observation home-schooled children tend be more socially mature, outgoing, friendly, and respectful than the average public school kid. People who are against home-schooling tend to paint a picture of isolated kids never being allowed to spend time with other kids and are kept at home all the time. But that's not an accurate view. The thing is the term "home-schooled" is really a misnomer. The parents I know that home school their kids take their education very seriously. They augment their in-home teaching with many field trips to places like museums, City Hall to see how government works, the public library, and many other places. The kids are involved in sports and scouting as well. Home-schooled families tend to be very close had have lots of fun together. If my wife and I ever have kids we will most definitely home-school them. i can't wait to teach them about science, engineering, music, reading the classic American novels, and of course they will be "indoctrinated" as San Francisco Giants fans! :chuckle"

Truppenzwei

Supreme Goombah of the Goombahs
LIFETIME MEMBER
Putting aside the fact that public school has a different meaning on this side of the pond - I would have to say that it depends.

1) - What standard of school you have available - over here I would have to say that the state schools are generally pretty good

2) - How much time you have available to home-school and what support there is available for it.

I would have to say that home-schooling is pretty niche this side of the pond - largely because the state schools are generally fine.

Breathe

This is simply untrue. I have several friends who "home-school" their kids. From my observation home-schooled children tend be more socially mature, outgoing, friendly, and respectful than the average public school kid. People who are against home-schooling tend to paint a picture of isolated kids never being allowed to spend time with other kids and are kept at home all the time. But that's not an accurate view. The thing is the term "home-schooled" is really a misnomer. The parents I know that home school their kids take their education very seriously. They augment their in-home teaching with many field trips to places like museums, City Hall to see how government works, the public library, and many other places. The kids are involved in sports and scouting as well. Home-schooled families tend to be very close had have lots of fun together. If my wife and I ever have kids we will most definitely home-school them. i can't wait to teach them about science, engineering, music, reading the classic American novels, and of course they will be "indoctrinated" as San Francisco Giants fans! :chuckle"
I'm sorry, but there is no way that a child who is home schooled has as many opportunities to socialize with as varied a group of people as do children who go to regular schools. Now bear in mind - I am not saying they aren't socialized - just that the level of socialization is not as high as with a public situation. This is largely due to the availability of funds and opportunities within the public school system.

Please understand - I am not anti home schooling, just pro involved parenting. A good parent will have much more influence on their child's beliefs and behaviors than any peer or teacher - so it shouldn't matter where your child is schooled so much as it matters how involved in their life you are.

But since you admittedly do not have any children yet, I am not sure just how informed your opinion is. ;)

The Berean

I'm sorry, but there is no way that a child who is home schooled has as many opportunities to socialize with as varied a group of people as do children who go to regular schools. Now bear in mind - I am not saying they aren't socialized - just that the level of socialization is not as high as with a public situation. This is largely due to the availability of funds and opportunities within the public school system.
Speaking with MANY home-schooled parents this is simply untrue. Sitting in a classroom all day with other kids is not really "socializing". There is nothing special about spending all day with kids your own age passively listening to a teacher lecturing. Home-schooled kids spend lots of time with other kids their age, and other ages, participating in sports, scouting, camping, church activities, etc. Plus home-schooled kids interact with adults much more than kids in public schools due to their activities during regular school hours.
Please understand - I am not anti home schooling, just pro involved parenting. A good parent will have much more influence on their child's beliefs and behaviors than any peer or teacher - so it shouldn't matter where your child is schooled so much as it matters how involved in their life you are.
Sure, and a home-schooled kid gets to spend much more quality time with their parents which is a good thing.

But since you admittedly do not have any children yet, I am not sure just how informed your opinion is. ;)
I've know quite a few parents who home-school their children and I spoken to them at length about various home-schooling topics. My opinion comes from their direct input, their experiences as home-schooling parents, and my observations of home-schooled children.

Breathe

Speaking with MANY home-schooled parents this is simply untrue. Sitting in a classroom all day with other kids is not really "socializing". There is nothing special about spending all day with kids your own age passively listening to a teacher lecturing. Home-schooled kids spend lots of time with other kids their age, and other ages, participating in sports, scouting, camping, church activities, etc. Plus home-schooled kids interact with adults much more than kids in public schools due to their activities during regular school hours.

Sure, and a home-schooled kid gets to spend much more quality time with their parents which is a good thing.

I've know quite a few parents who home-school their children and I spoken to them at length about various home-schooling topics. My opinion comes from their direct input and their experiences as home-schooling parents.
Knowing parents and being a parent are two completely different animals. Believe me, you don't know diddly yet. But it is an awesomely fun thing to learn. If I had a nickel for every "knowledgeable" pronouncement I made on parenthood and children before I experienced either...well, I would have more money than I do now. :D

You have a kid, then come back and we will talk.

The Berean

Knowing parents and being a parent are two completely different animals. Believe me, you don't know diddly yet. But it is an awesomely fun thing to learn. If I had a nickel for every "knowledgeable" pronouncement I made on parenthood and children before I experienced either...well, I would have more money than I do now. :D
This is irrelevant. It's doesn't repudiate what I said. I stated the following:

1) From my direct observations and speaking with home schooled kids they tend to be more respectful, more socially mature, more well-mannered and enjoy learning more

2) Speaking with parents who home-school their children, they have told me how they home school, how they augment their in-home teaching with field trips. They also told me home-schooling their parents have only made their family stronger, closer, and more loving.

3) Home-schooled children socialize with kids of all ages through many ways like sports, scouting, camping trips, church activities, etc.

You have a kid, then come back and we will talk.

Can you explain how me not having any kids yet in any way repudiates my three points? :idunno: