toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to public school

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Accurate representations of skeletal structure.
Guesses based on the desire to show evolution.

You can keep ignoring reality but trying to shield children from it is dangerous to their faith.
Questioning the accuracy of your cartoons is dangerous for children now? Have you gone insane?

You mean the part about the earth bringing forth living creatures?

What happened to the bible not being a science book? What happened to the part where all this happened in one day?

Alate_One

Guesses based on the desire to show evolution.
Drawings of skeletal structure. I'm sure you don't have problems with other skeletal drawings, only ones that might imply you're wrong. But here are the originals. One you would call a bird. The other not.

800px-Archaeopteryx_lithographica_%28Eichst%C3%A4tter_Specimen%29.jpg

Compsognathus-longpipes.jpg

Questioning the accuracy of your cartoons is dangerous for children now? Have you gone insane?
Presenting well established science as if it is falsehood is dangerous for children.

What happened to the bible not being a science book? What happened to the part where all this happened in one day?
It isn't a science book. But it doesn't say HOW the creatures were created. God speaks and the earth brings forth. How? We aren't told, because it isn't a science book.

Alate_One

Wrong, whether you care to agree or not, public schools in fact teach a religion. The religion of "there is no God."

I went through public schools through part of my education. I must have missed that teaching. In fact, I had teachers express the opposite. But hey, don't let reality get to you.

StanJ53

Wrong, whether you care to agree or not, public schools in fact teach a religion. The religion of "there is no God."

That is taught everywhere, NOT just in public schools. This is why we are admonished in scripture to "Train up a child in the WAY he should go".
Prov 22:6
Sending them OFF to school is not the answer. Staying involved as they attend school and making sure they question EVERYTHING they are taught against the teachings of the Bible is also important. This also goes for sending them off to Sunday school. If you don't know what's being taught, how can you make sure they are being properly taught. It is the parents responsibility to ensure that everything coming into their child's life is FILTERED through the Word of God, and not censored by limiting their exposure to the world.

drbrumley

I went through public schools through part of my education. I must have missed that teaching. In fact, I had teachers express the opposite. But hey, don't let reality get to you.

Then it should be no problem teaching creation then one would think. And your really gonna say God is in the public school system?

StanJ53

Then it should be no problem teaching creation then one would think. And your really gonna say God is in the public school system?

The fact is God is everywhere, but I didn't see AO say what you just asserted he did, so let's not start equivocating.

drbrumley

That is taught everywhere, NOT just in public schools. This is why we are admonished in scripture to "Train up a child in the WAY he should go".
Prov 22:6
Sending them OFF to school is not the answer. Staying involved as they attend school and making sure they question EVERYTHING they are taught against the teachings of the Bible is also important. This also goes for sending them off to Sunday school. If you don't know what's being taught, how can you make sure they are being properly taught. It is the parents responsibility to ensure that everything coming into their child's life is FILTERED through the Word of God, and not censored by limiting their exposure to the world.

I agree with you, we need to be involved in our children's education. But sending them to the synagogue of satan is not helping them in any way,shape or form.

csuguy

Incorrect - they do not teach either way. Some teachers are Christian and others are not, but the curriculum does not teach one either Christianity or some other religion or non-religion. I know this from having attended public school all my life.

StanJ53

I agree with you, we need to be involved in our children's education. But sending them to the synagogue of satan is not helping them in any way,shape or form.

That is overly dramatic. Let's get real. I sent 4 kids to public school. They learned both academics and HOW to resist the enemy. God is faithful and you give Satan way to much credit.
1 John 4:4
You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

drbrumley

Homeschooling and the Myth of Socialization

by Manfred B. Zysk

One of the silliest and most annoying comments made to homeschooling parents is, "Aren't you concerned about how your child will be able to socialize with others?". What is being implied here is that the homeschooled child is some kind of introverted misfit who cannot relate to other people, children, and the outside world. In reality, most of the homeschooled children that I have known and met are not only outgoing, but polite and respectful, too. This is a sharp contrast to the public school children that I have known, who can't relate to adults and whose behavior is rude and inconsiderate. Realistically, there are some exceptions on both sides.

Isn't it interesting that amid all of the public school shootings over the past few years, the only comment that opponents of homeschooling can come up with is the red herring of "socialization"? You may have noticed, there haven't been shootings at private schools, or shootings inside of the homes of homeschooled children.

Opponents of homeschooling can't complain about average test scores, since homeschooled children consistently outscore public school children, so they instead make a problem that doesn't exist.

Who is responsible for creating this "socialization" problem? This myth has been perpetrated by sociologists, psychologists, public school administrators, the NEA (and local teacher's unions), etc., whenever they comment on homeschooling to the news media. These are the same people who give Ritalin (a very strong narcotic) and other drugs to schoolchildren, in place of discipline.

A family member asked my wife, "Aren't you concerned about his (our son's) socialization with other kids?". My wife gave this response: "Go to your local middle school, junior high, or high school, walk down the hallways, and tell me which behavior you see that you think our son should emulate." Good answer.

In order for children to become assimilated into society properly, it is important to have a variety of experiences and be exposed to differing opinions and views. This enables them to think for themselves and form their own opinions. This is exactly what public education does not want; public education is for the lowest common denominator and influencing all of the students to share the same views ("group-think") and thought-control through various means, including peer-pressure.

Homeschooling allows parents the freedom to associate with other interested parties, visit local businesses, museums, libraries, etc. as part of school, and to interact with people of all ages in the community. For example, my son goes on field trips with other homeschooling families in our community. He recently was able to visit an audiologist, a McDonald's restaurant (to see how they run their operation), and several other similar activities. He gets to meet and talk to people of different ages doing interesting (and sometimes not so interesting) occupations. He spends a lot of his free time with kids older and younger than himself, and adults from twenty to over ninety years old.

Meanwhile, in public school, children are segregated by age, and have very little interaction with other adults, except their teacher(s). This environment only promotes alienation from different age groups, especially adults. This is beginning to look like the real socialization problem.

My wife and I like to bring our son with us when we are visiting with friends and other adults. How else will he learn to be an adult, if he never has contact with adults? He knows what kind of behavior we expect from him, and the consequences of his actions. He is often complimented on his good manners by friends and adults.

In conclusion, homeschooling parents choose to homeschool for a variety of reasons, but I have never heard any homeschooling parent say that the reason they want to homeschool is to isolate their child from all of society. But, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for homeschooled children to stay away from public school administrators, the NEA members, sociologists, and others who cannot properly "socialize" with children.

Go to your local public school, walk down the hallways and see what behaviors you would want your child to emulate.

:BillyBob:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now that's some real teaching material. :up:

Presenting well established science as if it is falsehood is dangerous for children.
Drawing a cartoon and calling it well established science is lying. And teaching what is well-established is also very dangerous. Generally those things that are well-established are the most destructive.

It isn't a science book. But it doesn't say HOW the creatures were created. God speaks and the earth brings forth. How? We aren't told, because it isn't a science book.
You just told us how. :plain:

God spoke and it happened. That's how.

Pretending the bible leaves room for evolution by insisting on the primacy of one sentence and ignoring where it also says it happened in one day is dishonest.

You're making a reputation for yourself.

StanJ53

Homeschooling and the Myth of Socialization

by Manfred B. Zysk

One of the silliest and most annoying comments made to homeschooling parents is, "Aren't you concerned about how your child will be able to socialize with others?". What is being implied here is that the homeschooled child is some kind of introverted misfit who cannot relate to other people, children, and the outside world. In reality, most of the homeschooled children that I have known and met are not only outgoing, but polite and respectful, too. This is a sharp contrast to the public school children that I have known, who can't relate to adults and whose behavior is rude and inconsiderate. Realistically, there are some exceptions on both sides.

Isn't it interesting that amid all of the public school shootings over the past few years, the only comment that opponents of homeschooling can come up with is the red herring of "socialization"? You may have noticed, there haven't been shootings at private schools, or shootings inside of the homes of homeschooled children.

Opponents of homeschooling can't complain about average test scores, since homeschooled children consistently outscore public school children, so they instead make a problem that doesn't exist.

Who is responsible for creating this "socialization" problem? This myth has been perpetrated by sociologists, psychologists, public school administrators, the NEA (and local teacher's unions), etc., whenever they comment on homeschooling to the news media. These are the same people who give Ritalin (a very strong narcotic) and other drugs to schoolchildren, in place of discipline.

A family member asked my wife, "Aren't you concerned about his (our son's) socialization with other kids?". My wife gave this response: "Go to your local middle school, junior high, or high school, walk down the hallways, and tell me which behavior you see that you think our son should emulate." Good answer.

In order for children to become assimilated into society properly, it is important to have a variety of experiences and be exposed to differing opinions and views. This enables them to think for themselves and form their own opinions. This is exactly what public education does not want; public education is for the lowest common denominator and influencing all of the students to share the same views ("group-think") and thought-control through various means, including peer-pressure.

Homeschooling allows parents the freedom to associate with other interested parties, visit local businesses, museums, libraries, etc. as part of school, and to interact with people of all ages in the community. For example, my son goes on field trips with other homeschooling families in our community. He recently was able to visit an audiologist, a McDonald's restaurant (to see how they run their operation), and several other similar activities. He gets to meet and talk to people of different ages doing interesting (and sometimes not so interesting) occupations. He spends a lot of his free time with kids older and younger than himself, and adults from twenty to over ninety years old.

Meanwhile, in public school, children are segregated by age, and have very little interaction with other adults, except their teacher(s). This environment only promotes alienation from different age groups, especially adults. This is beginning to look like the real socialization problem.

My wife and I like to bring our son with us when we are visiting with friends and other adults. How else will he learn to be an adult, if he never has contact with adults? He knows what kind of behavior we expect from him, and the consequences of his actions. He is often complimented on his good manners by friends and adults.

In conclusion, homeschooling parents choose to homeschool for a variety of reasons, but I have never heard any homeschooling parent say that the reason they want to homeschool is to isolate their child from all of society. But, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for homeschooled children to stay away from public school administrators, the NEA members, sociologists, and others who cannot properly "socialize" with children.

Go to your local public school, walk down the hallways and see what behaviors you would want your child to emulate.

:BillyBob:

Dr, we're NOT debating this guy, we're debating each other. I could care less what this guy has to say, because he's not here to account for it. Using scripture and stats are fine but this guys opining is meaningless.

:neck:

drbrumley

That is overly dramatic. Let's get real. I sent 4 kids to public school. They learned both academics and HOW to resist the enemy. God is faithful and you give Satan way to much credit.

They learned to resist the enemy in public school?

Tell me Stan, why do you think public school is necessary? It's just the times we live in now? Or, is there a plan for your child made by people in Washington? Obviously your pro public school. I would really like to know.

drbrumley

Dr, we're NOT debating this guy, we're debating each other. I could care less what this guy has to say, because he's not here to account for it. Using scripture and stats are fine but this guys opining is meaningless.

:neck:

Pardon me sir.

StanJ53

They learned to resist the enemy in public school?

Tell me Stan, why do you think public school is necessary? It's just the times we live in now? Or, is there a plan for your child made by people in Washington? Obviously your pro public school. I would really like to know.

It was PART of how they learned, yes.
Are you a parent?

I never said it was necessary. I said we shouldn't avoid it. Most municipalities only allow your property taxes to go to the public school or the Catholic school boards. There are no Christians school boards in Canada. There are some that are trying to be certified but it is a long uphill battle. I'm NOT pro public school but it's what is there and I didn't want to send my kids to the Catholic schools although my grandkids do go there because their father is RC. They are only better in that they teach Jesus, but they also teach a lot that needs to be filtered as well.
Bottom line, we have to let our light shine WHERE EVER that may be.
Parenting is a tough job to be sure, and can only be effective when we do it in God's will and way.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Is it wise for a Christian parent to send their child to government run public school?

No.

Sure. What are you going to do instead? Hide them from the world for 18+ years and then expect them to smoothly integrate back into society when they need to go out and live on their own? Or will you have one of those creepy families where everyones still living together and visiting eachother on a daily basis because everyone is too attached?

Better for one to be exposed to the worlds corruption and opposing view points slowly over many years than to have everything thrust on a person at once.
How ignorant do you have to be to think that not sending your children to public school means hiding them from the world until they're eighteen?

everyone-in-this-room-is-now-d_clink_large.jpg

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Now, where is that video Poly posted?