toldailytopic: Is it wrong to hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Loving everyone and forgiving everyone is self-righteousness--pure and simple. I can relate a story to show this: Cathy Sanders worked in the federal building in Oklahoma that Timothy McVeigh blew up. In the bombing, her two grandchildren were killed. I watched her on a Christian TV show relate how she visited Timothy McVeigh shortly before he was executed. She boasted how she had told Timothy McVeigh that she forgave him.

First, while my heart goes out to her for her loss, self-righteousness was oozng from her pores. "Just look at how good I am. I even forgave the man who killed my grandchildren." First, she had no standing to forgive him. The two grandchildren, whom he killed, had standing to forgive him, but they're not here. Cathy Sanders can forgive Timothy only for the hurt that was caused to her. And Timothy can't be forgiven by Cathy, her grandchildren, or God UNLESS HE REPENTED. Timothy McVeigh went to his execution muttering some nonsence: "If I go to hell, so be it. I will adapt and survive."

This is what you get from false Bible teachers. Now if Cathy went on Oprah, she would get a standing O. Be suspicious of any Bible teaching that will get you a standing O on Oprah.

God bless, Tom from Mabank, TX

Who are you to decide whether or not someone else can or can't forgive another person?

Personally, I could NEVER do what this woman did, however, IMO, it shows great character that she has a heart so capable of forgiveness. Also, forgiving is better for a person's health and mental well-being. She is the person who suffered the loss, and it is her choice, and her choice alone to decide if she should forgive him.

Sonrise

This is probably the first time I read all the pages...am a bit proud of myself....lol

The opposite of love is not hate, it is apathy. We are commanded to even hate our own flesh. Sin and sinner are one. You cannot hate sin, without hating the sinner.

Also, one said love is not an emotion...AMEN!

If love is not an emotion, which I believe to be true, it is a choice; then hate is not an emotion either. It is the choice to not love the world; not love our own flesh; love not our family more than the Lord; love the brethren....what is all this saying?

We are born of another spirit seperate from what we were born into. HolySpirit. We cannot mix with the serpent, or the devil.

Jesus is not saying to hate our mother, sister, brother etc. in the defintion of the world which would be emotion. He is saying that we are to be seperate from anything that is not of God. And persecution in other countries where believers have to make these choices for they are betrayed even by their own, understand this much more than the church of the USA.

Here is a great example too....a married woman accepts Jesus but her husband does not. This woman wants to stay married so she chooses to love that mate, and she goes through much sorrow being in that marriage. She studies alone, she goes to church alone, and feels alone. But, she denys her own way by crucifying the needs and remains loving that man whether he ever turns to the Lord or not.

Divorce is an easy out now even for believers. That is how much the church has fallen away from "truth".

Am not speaking of abuse, physical abuse, but we have many lonely women who are married....and are not being taught the message of the cross, and then choose what can be disastrous in the future of the entire family.

The cross is still the answer to our sanctification.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Who are you to decide whether or not someone else can or can't forgive another person?

Personally, I could NEVER do what this woman did, however, IMO, it shows great character that she has a heart so capable of forgiveness. Also, forgiving is better for a person's health and mental well-being. She is the person who suffered the loss, and it is her choice, and her choice alone to decide if she should forgive him.
She may have chosen not to hold a grudge but she could not forgive him to the extent of wiping his slate clean. And to forgive someone who has not repented gives them no reason to repent. No reason to change their ways.

If you never disciplined your children and just forgave them every time they were disobedient they would never obey you. They would never do what they should do. They would become terrorists before they were school age.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
She may have chosen not to hold a grudge but she could not forgive him to the extent of wiping his slate clean. And to forgive someone who has not repented gives them no reason to repent. No reason to change their ways.

If you never disciplined your children and just forgave them every time they were disobedient they would never obey you. They would never do what they should do. They would become terrorists before they were school age.

I wasn't speaking of wiping his slate clean. He committed the crime of multiple murders and regardless of her forgiveness, he still deserved to die.

The woman has to deal with a devastating and life altering loss. Apparently for her, she *needed* to forgive him in order to start her healing process.

I am glad that Tim McVeigh is dead. I would and could never forgive someone that harmed a family member of mine ... however, it IS the individuals choice.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I wasn't speaking of wiping his slate clean. He committed the crime of multiple murders and regardless of her forgiveness, he still deserved to die.

The woman has to deal with a devastating and life altering loss. Apparently for her, she *needed* to forgive him in order to start her healing process.

I am glad that Tim McVeigh is dead. I would and could never forgive someone that harmed a family member of mine ... however, it IS the individuals choice.
She didn't need to forgive him. She only needed to not let her anger become sin. The Bible tells us we can be angry and not sin. In fact, it pretty much commands it. We are to be angry when it is right to be angry. And we are to hate when it is right to hate. But we are not to sin through either. This does not require that we forgive.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
there's more to forgiveness.......

there's more to forgiveness.......

Jesus said that if your brother sins against you, REBUKE him. Don't forgive him. Jesus then said, "And IF, IF, IF, he repents, forgive him. Now listen carefully: Jesus did not command us to forgive so that it will make us feel good. Phoney, self-righteous love is what makes you feel good. Phoney, self-righteous forgiveness is what makes you feel good. Forgiveness is not to make the forgiver feel good; its to get the unrepentant sinner to repent. This is why Jesus said to rebuke and forgive only the repentant.

That is just taken from one reference (Luke 17:3) about 'rebuking' a brother, however most all other teachings of Jesus emphasize loving and forgiving others. Notice that this same passage-reference in Matt. 18: 21 does not include the clause about only forgiving IF the offender 'repents'. (in some cases the offender cannot or is not available to do such for whatever reason). The basic principle of forgiveness is that unless you forgive, you cannot be forgiven,...for it is only when you release others, that you yourself are released. Ultimately absolution is effected when all is surrendered to God.

Also, forgiveness is not granted to make one feel good, but is instructed to 'free' and 'release' ourselves from any harmful/unhealthy feelings/resentments. Restitution/reconcilation, etc. is to be attempted as much as possible, yet when this is not available or cannot be achieved,..the final recourse is to release all to God and to keep doing what is right. Get over it. At last, only God is the final arbiter, Judge and Deliverer. "Forgive and you will be forgiven" ; "unless you forgive, your Father in heaven will not forgive you" - "measure for measure". - We have responsibility to use our powers of forgiving wisely, or we bind ourselves until we let all go. Do what is your power to do in Love, towards resolve...then surrender all to God.

Read some of King David's paslms and writings. He sure had a lot of hatred for the wicked. And God said that he was a man after God's own heart.

That was David venting during his own personal frustrations in his own time-experience within how he referenced and contextualized his understanding of 'God'. The emphasis of Jesus teachings gives us a new dimension of love and action towards all souls, and expressly towards our enemies.

Paul should have been eaten up. Why? Because at the end of his ministry, he warned Timothy of Alexander the Coppersmith. While the Bible does not reveal what Alexander did to Paul, Paul did not love Alexander nor did he ever forgave him.

Too bad for Paul then, as he will not be 'free' or 'forgiven' until he forgives. The law holds.

Loving everyone and forgiving everyone is self-righteousness--pure and simple.

In the universal sense, this is the only right and appropriate thing to do, since God is Love,....all his children emulate and express the same loving nature. I dont see this is as self-righteous as all, but a matter of harmonic accordance. Its actually the only way we show ourselves perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect. Matt. 5: 38-48

I can relate a story to show this: Cathy Sanders worked in the federal building in Oklahoma that Timothy McVeigh blew up. In the bombing, her two grandchildren were killed. I watched her on a Christian TV show relate how she visited Timothy McVeigh shortly before he was executed. She boasted how she had told Timothy McVeigh that she forgave him.

First, while my heart goes out to her for her loss, self-righteousness was oozng from her pores. "Just look at how good I am. I even forgave the man who killed my grandchildren." First, she had no standing to forgive him.

She had the power and ability to forgive, nonetheless....so she herself could be free in God.

This is what you get from false Bible teachers. Now if Cathy went on Oprah, she would get a standing O. Be suspicious of any Bible teaching that will get you a standing O on Oprah.

Whats with raking Oprah over the coals? Because she doesnt limit her spiritual understanding and outreach to a narrow presentation of traditional Christian theology, and has branched out to reach a global community and audience with teachings that affect and transform peoples lives for the better? Your biased critical and judgmental manners are telling. Could we say pompous?

pj

TeeJay

It can be. Though someone might see your posture, specifically as you illustrate it in dealing with Cathy Sanders and her loss, as a little self righteous, don't you think?

No. I don't agree. Self-righteousness is when one seeks to be righteous apart from Jesus Christ through their own actions. I watched her on the show, and I judged her to be proud that she could forgive an unrepentant murderer who had murdered her grandchildren.

I don't blame Cathy. I blame the false Christian teachers in the Body of Christ who taught her that she should forgive the unrepentant. If God won't forgive the unrepentant, then why should we? When we do this, we teach others that there is forgiveness without repentance. We should never, never, never do this. When we teach this, then it is difficlt to get them to repent and accept Jesus Christ, for they logically think that they are forgiven already. Why not? You forgave them without requiring repentance.

That you call her sharing of forgiveness a boast goes a long way toward my not finding your next statement particularly credible.

I'm a Christian man. Why do you not find it credible that "my heart goes out to her"? This is something that I don't have to prove to you. Take my statement at face value or leave it.

I think you're right there, except in your aim. On the upside, she'd probably forgive you for it. :plain:

Forgive me for what? For trying to correct the false teaching she has received over the years.

Ironically, Cathy probably would have no problem rebuking me. Just as you have no problem rebuking me. Over the years, I've found that Christians who don't believe in judging or rebuking have no problem judging and rebuking me, a fellow Christian. You and Cathy, who believe you should forgive everyone, will probably be very unforgiving of me. If you believe that you should forgive unrepentant Timothy McVeigh, why did you not automatically forgive me for my posit?

Way to look into her heart and find it wanting. Shame on you. Literally, shame on you.

What happend to your nicer-than-God attitude? You argue that it's okay for Cathy to forgive unrepentant McVeigh, but you have no problem slamming a Christian brother. I submit that this nicer-than-God attitude that you espouse is untenable and can't be maintained. False Christian teachers tell a rape victim that she has to love her rapist and forgive him, even when he's unrepentant. She tries her best, fails, and then feels condemned. I never tell someone this. I tell her to harshly rebuke him.

Jesus said that we can judge by their fruits. Jesus said to judge with righteous judgment. I wish that I could have gotten to Cathy before she unwisely forgave Timothy. NO! I wish that I could have gotten to Cathy's pastor before he filled her head with false doctrine. I blame her pastor more than I blame her. He has the greater sin.

Why should McVeigh have repented? She forgave him without him doing so. She should have rebuked him harshly and warned him that she would be his judge on judgmen day unless he repented.

I don't believe she intoned that because of her action he was free of sin. Else, it's her business how she approaches him, be it in understandable anger or in the spirit of one hopeful for the fate of his soul. I think we all know which is harder to do.

When I said that she had no standing to forgive him, I meant it. If I sin against you, only you have standing to forgive. Your neighbor can't forgive me for you. If I owe you $10.00, only you can forgive the debt. Now a Third Party, with my permission, can pay my debt--as Jesus Christ did for us. The two people who can forgive Timothy are the two grandchildren whom he murdered. They are with the Lord. So Timothy can only receive forgiveness from God. But he has to repent first. Now Cathy can forgive Timothy only to the extent that she has been hurt by him. But he still has to repent. She can't forgive Timothy for the murdered grandchildren. If Timothy had repented and accepted Jesus, he would go to heaven.

You seem so interested in making your larger point (which isn't without merit) that you're using the wrong illustration and methodology in the attempt, forcing your preconception on it and us as though it were gospel

I can give scripture for any challenge you care to make. Jesus said, "If your brother sins aganst you REBUKE him. And IF he repents, forgive him. And if you read my other posts, I gave plenty of Scripture to support my argument that God hates the wicked and that we should too.

What did she actually say that led you to believe she was doing more than exactly that?

She said that she forgave Timothy for murdering her grandchildren.

Nope. That's not scriptural. You are to forgive someone if they ask, but there's no verse forbidding you to do so unless they ask.

Luke 17:3. Jesus commanded His apostles: "Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, REBUKE him; and IF he repents, forgive him." Now you can ignore Jesus and write your own sheet of music. I choose to obey Jesus Christ. The reason Cathy was misled is because of Christians like you: "I know what Jesus said, but I think...."

Then he missed his opportunity. She didn't.

I'm sure you've read Jesus' Woe to the Pharisees? Jesus' rebuke here makes a Marine Corps drill sergeant look like Barney Fife. But guess what? In the Book of Acts and in Paul's epistles, we read of "believng Pharisees." Aparently, Jesus' harsh rebuke led them to repentance. Paul's first letter to Corinthians is dripping with sarcasm. But guess what? The Corinthians repented and Paul wrote in his second epistle that although he was sorry that he had to write that first letter, he was glad that he did, because it led to their repentance. Cathy's unconditional forgiveness no doubt made her feel good. But it did nothing to save Timothy.

An open rebuke is better than love carefully concealed.

TeeJay

Freelight, I'm so glad you like Oprah. You and she will spend an eternity together.

Tom from Mabank, TX

TeeJay

I didn't. Jesus did. Read Luke 173. Do you care what Jesus commanded?

Why couldn't you do what this woman did? Should you follow this woman's example? Or, should you obey Jesus Christ? The reason you can't is because it's impossible when you disobey God. This type of forgiveness--of the unepentant--is phoney at its core.

Did Jesus Christ command us to forgive the repentant so that it "would make us feel good"? Or is HE concerned with the repentance of the sinner? Forgiveness is not to make the fogiver feel good. It's for the benefit of the repentant person who needs forgiveness.

Of course it's her choice. But why did she make such an unwise and unScriptural choice? Because of Christians like you and pastors who teach false doctrine that is 180 degrees opposite Jesus' teachings.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I don't base any of my beliefs or cares on religion.

Why couldn't you do what this woman did? Should you follow this woman's example? Or, should you obey Jesus Christ? The reason you can't is because it's impossible when you disobey God. This type of forgiveness--of the unepentant--is phoney at its core.

What's phony is that you actually claim that you have the ability to judge what is in the heart of another human being.

Did Jesus Christ command us to forgive the repentant so that it "would make us feel good"? Or is HE concerned with the repentance of the sinner? Forgiveness is not to make the fogiver feel good. It's for the benefit of the repentant person who needs forgiveness.

Of course it's her choice. But why did she make such an unwise and unScriptural choice? Because of Christians like you and pastors who teach false doctrine that is 180 degrees opposite Jesus' teachings.

:yawn: You do understand that I am NOT a Christian, right? However, it is rather amusing that even a little ole heathen such as myself understands that forgiveness is more about the benefit of the person giving it and less about the person receiving it.

It sounds to me like this woman needed to forgive this individual to get away from her own negativity and hatred. IF it helps her with her healing process, then she is doing the right thing and certainly doesn't need your approval.

Alate_One

Not being a Christian, I doubt Rusha has a feeling of responsibility towards what Jesus commanded. Secondly that verse refers to brothers, not the population at large. And forgiveness in this case is likely to involve bringing someone back into fellowship AS a brother, in which case no, you don't bring an unrepentant CHRISTIAN back into the fold.

Because if you compare it to what Jesus says here, "But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven." There's no repentance implied there is there? And this case is referring to the population at large. Did Jesus not forgive those who crucified him? Did THEY repent?

Honestly I don't understand how you can espouse the perspective you are. It simply isn't a Christian attitude. It doesn't mesh with the full picture of the gospel.

By assuming forgiving someone that has wronged you is self-righteous you are in direct conflict with the words and actions of Christ.

If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

This is the gospel message:

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

We didn't have to repent first, God extended the gift of His Son to us while we were still lost.

Katie

I have hated the assembly of evil doers, and will not sit with the wicked.

I don't hate him, just what he does is one of the most illogical pathetic liberal cliches that ever existed.

Isn't he hating the evil DOERS. He does not say I have hated the sins OF the assembly of evil doers and will not partake in their wickedness ... oh no, he didn't. He doesn't seem to be in the same denial that most today are in. I can not figure how one can hate the sin and not the sinner as if the two are inseparable. The sin WOULD NOT exist without the sinner, no? Then, how are we defining sin?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This is nothing but lawyerspeak.
If by lawyerspeak you mean the application of critical reasoning skills, yes. Else, you're just making noises you can't back with logic OR scripture.
The command of God on forgiveness states that we forgive if they repent. This does not give us the freedom to forgive otherwise simply because it doesn't state that we can't.
That's absurd. The point, which you pervert with this absurdity, is to instruct us that we MUST forgive when asked, against a very human impulse that God knows is the easier and more likely response absent instruction.
To say we can is circular logic that is not logical at all.
No. There's nothing circular about noting the absence of a prohibition. I might also note that Christ died for men and women who didn't ask him to...that He asked the Father to forgive those who were ignorant of the wrongness of their part in his death.
[Jesus]Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.[/Jesus]
-Luke 17:3
Right, if a brother in Christ wrongs you and repents you must forgive him. Of course, we aren't talking about a member of the body here, are we. And were we you'd have no more made your point here than you did by your earlier convolution.

Katie

If I turn it into a personal vendetta it can have disastrous consequences. bybee

I can understand now, after personal experience, what you are saying here. Then, we can end up hating our ownselves. :(

I do, though, think there are cases where it is benificial to society as a whole to let the "hate" of those who have been personally victimized by another run its course ... to allow victims to seek justice and then *actually* heal. We have all heard of "repeat offenders," right? ... then, is society doing the law abiding citizens a favor by protecting those who would harm us from those they have already harmed?

I am, at this moment, thinking that sometimes forgiveness is NOT always the virtue and rather it is "hate" in its proper time that is the virtue ... if it is allowed to see its fulfillment, that is.

In Ecclesiastes 3 .. the order seems rather noteworthy to me. A time to love and then a time to hate. A mother who loves her child will naturally hate one who steals her child's innocence .. then, her hate will desire justice <---- should she not be allowed to see the fulfillment of her hate? Would it make a difference if it saved the innocence of other children that she would seek the death of the molester?

There is the order of the following: "a time to kill" and THEN "a time to heal." Personal vendettas are righteous in some cases, no?

Hating others for their beliefs is indeed pointless and only harmful to ourselves ... a hard lesson to learn as I am sure many of us have figured out. But hate itself is not bad and even it is useful in its appropriate cause ... at least I am, at the moment, thinking this.

Hate, though, is ALWAYS spurred because of something personal ... thus, "the time for love" and then, "the time for hate."

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
swoosh

swoosh

Freelight, I'm so glad you like Oprah. You and she will spend an eternity together.

Tom from Mabank, TX

Nice dodge of the entirety of my post, touching key points of the issue. You hilight only one reference in the gospel of Luke and overlook all other words of Jesus, biased by your own impassioned viewpoints and self-serving interpretation..... missing the forest for the trees.

Granted we can only see things from our own level of perception,....some perspectives are more balanced and sane than others.

pj

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I can understand now, after personal experience, what you are saying here. Then, we can end up hating our ownselves. :(

I do, though, think there are cases where it is benificial to society as a whole to let the "hate" of those who have been personally victimized by another run its course ... to allow victims to seek justice and then *actually* heal. We have all heard of "repeat offenders," right? ... then, is society doing the law abiding citizens a favor by protecting those who would harm us from those they have already harmed?

I am, at this moment, thinking that sometimes forgiveness is NOT always the virtue and rather it is "hate" in its proper time that is the virtue ... if it is allowed to see its fulfillment, that is.

In Ecclesiastes 3 .. the order seems rather noteworthy to me. A time to love and then a time to hate. A mother who loves her child will naturally hate one who steals her child's innocence .. then, her hate will desire justice <---- should she not be allowed to see the fulfillment of her hate? Would it make a difference if it saved the innocence of other children that she would seek the death of the molester?

There is the order of the following: "a time to kill" and THEN "a time to heal." Personal vendettas are righteous in some cases, no?

Hating others for their beliefs is indeed pointless and only harmful to ourselves ... a hard lesson to learn as I am sure many of us have figured out. But hate itself is not bad and even it is useful in its appropriate cause ... at least I am, at the moment, thinking this.

Hate, though, is ALWAYS spurred because of something personal ... thus, "the time for love" and then, "the time for hate."

This makes sense, yet hate should be a passing emotion, as to remain hating only harms ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.