toldailytopic: Is it wrong to hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 8th, 2010 10:44 AM

toldailytopic: Hate. Is it wrong to hate?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nope. God Himself hated/hates some people (not just their actions). Yet He still loved them enough to send His Son to die for them.

Love and hate are, therefore, not mutually exclusive.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have hated the assembly of evil doers, and will not sit with the wicked.

I don't hate him, just what he does is one of the most illogical pathetic liberal cliches that ever existed.

bybee

To Hate

To Hate

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 8th, 2010 10:44 AM

toldailytopic: Hate. Is hating always wrong?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Not according to C.S.Lewis, whom I greatly admire. He said "We have the ability to hate so that we will hate that which is evil" and in so many words he said we must fight evil with all of our resources. This is a bit of de ja vu for me. I got banned for six months for a rather ill phrased response to this same topic. If hate is used to "fight the good fight" then it has worth. If I turn it into a personal vendetta it can have disastrous consequences. bybee

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The following verse seems to be a rather clear teaching on the subject....

A time to love, And a time to hate; A time of war, And a time of peace. - Ecclesiastes 3:8

Son of Jack

I'd don't hate people, as they are made in God's image. But, I do hate certain ideas and what they can do to people.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'd don't hate people, as they are made in God's image. But, I do hate certain ideas and what they can do to people.
David (a man after God's own heart) said...

Psalms 139:20 For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. 21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? 22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies. 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; 24 And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.

David said... "I hate THEM", he didn't however say... "I hate their ideas", or "I hate their actions".

Apparently there is a time to hate wicked people.

Last edited:

Ecumenicist

The context in which the Hebrew word for hate is used in the OT most often suggests "rejection" rather than the emotional loathing we ascribe to the word today.

Its certainly appropriate to reject evil and accept goodness.

Son of Jack

Even though God says to hate some people?

David (a man after God's own heart) said...

Psalms 139:20 For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. 21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? 22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies. 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; 24 And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.

David said... "I hate THEM", not "I hate their ideas, or actions".

Apparently there is a time to hate wicked people.

I'd be very careful before to applying that sort of emotion to a human being because I know my limited falliability. I certainly hate and reject evil, but hating a person isn't as easy.

So, maybe I'm saying that you might feel justified to hate someone, whereas I don't. Perhaps I'm just the weaker brother in this case.:idunno:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'd be very careful before to applying that sort of emotion to a human being because I know my limited falliability. I certainly hate and reject evil, but hating a person isn't as easy.

So, maybe I'm saying that you might feel justified to hate someone, whereas I don't. Perhaps I'm just the weaker brother in this case.:idunno:

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Oh, I certainly don't feel uncomfortable with my position. It's just that I wouldn't force everyone to accept it as some sort of dogma.

I think of a comment Town Heretic made very recently: when people accuse you of being "nicer than God," they seem to be saying that you're actually nicer than them.

Even being on very different sides of the aisle, religiously, I think we could both agree that you don't need to go out looking for anyone to hate, nor should you be worried if you check and discover that you (gulp!) don't actually hate anyone.

Hatred's caustic. It's acid. Real, actual, honest hatred takes work. It becomes a burden after a while, and a drug, and it warps, twists, and ultimately decays anyone who cares it with them for very long. Not the stuff that dreams are made of. Hardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.