toldailytopic: Is it wrong to hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
I suppose it's inevitable that we all might hate some individual people, but hatred is a dangerous and destructive thing.
Especially if it's irrational hatred based on prejudice ,ignorance and stereotyping . This kind of hatred is learned behavior.
If an individual person treats you terribly and says and does hurtful things on a regular basis, it's understandable to hate that person on an individual basis.
But where hatred is so destructive is when it's based on prejudice and stereotyping, and when you hate a whole group of people based merely on their race, ethnicity, religion or political beliefs.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I suppose it's inevitable that we all might hate some individual people, but hatred is a dangerous and destructive thing.
Especially if it's irrational hatred based on prejudice ,ignorance and stereotyping . This kind of hatred is learned behavior.
If an individual person treats you terribly and says and does hurtful things on a regular basis, it's understandable to hate that person on an individual basis.
But where hatred is so destructive is when it's based on prejudice and stereotyping, and when you hate a whole group of people based merely on their race, ethnicity, religion or political beliefs.
I certainly hope we could all agree on those points. :up:

Alate_One

It seems that we learn in the Bible that just like love, hate can be good or bad, depending on the motivation.

I can understand hating a practice or a sin, but a person . . . I don't see much in the way of scripture supporting that.

This is what Jesus said.

Matthew 5

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

God is a God of mercy even the worst of us may be redeemed, why should I hate someone that might someday come to Christ?

When can love be bad, save if you love that which is evil?

God hates and we are told to hate what is bad, so.... Hating the object, or the action is one thing, hating the person is another thing. I am sure Jesus hated his last hours on earth, but he asked the forgiveness of those who put him to death!
Letters to Earth You Can Survive Armageddon!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I can understand hating a practice or a sin, but a person . . . I don't see much in the way of scripture supporting that.
Sigh. Have you read this thread???

This is what Jesus said.

Matthew 5

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

God is a God of mercy even the worst of us may be redeemed, why should I hate someone that might someday come to Christ?

When can love be bad, save if you love that which is evil?
That's right!

Hate and love are not mutually exclusive!

Love can be a good thing or a bad thing.
Likewise...
Hate can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Just as God says....

A time to love, And a time to hate - Ecclesiastes 3:8

lucy

David (a man after God's own heart) said...

Psalms 139:20 For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. 21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? 22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies. 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; 24 And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.

David said... "I hate THEM", he didn't however say... "I hate their ideas", or "I hate their actions".

Apparently there is a time to hate wicked people.

Disagree- David was a very passionate fellow. Just expressing his devotion and passion for God compared to those who do not serve God. Not everything that David says can be taken as an example we ought to follow. New Testament tells us to love our enemies, do good to those who persecute us. Jesus prayed "forgive them" at the cross. If anyone had the "right" to hate, Jesus could well have said something about hate at that time. He does not.

MrRadish

When you hate the action and not the actor you neuter any possible good that could come from your righteous indignation.

Au contraire, Knight, hating the action rather than its perpetrator leads to something altogether more productive: a desire to prevent the action from occurring, rather than punishing people who've done it already. If you hate individuals, the only way to fulfil this hatred is to damage/destroy/punish that person and be done with it, a useless, shortsighted and self-indulgent course. If you hate the action, on the other hand, then your chief concern is to remove its causes, and prevent it from happening in the first place. The people doing the action are insignificant except as indicators of the existence of a greater problem. This attitude is, in my opinion, far more useful in a broader social context because it encourages removing the causes of problems rather than their symptoms. To imply that people are defined by their crimes is one of the most fatalistic - and thus destructive - sociopolitical attitudes I can think of.

In addition to all this, declaring that you hate a person, rather than their actions, tacitly makes the very arrogant statement that you know every aspect of their personality absolutely perfectly. It discourages humility, and seems to me to preclude the very important attitude fundamental to compassion of "there, but for the Grace of God*, go I."

*Or 'there, but for my own good fortune...' for us heathens. ;)

Last edited:

lucy

You don't think the emotions God programmed you with are accurate? That is possible, for everyone. Luckily, he told us where to direct that anger.

Yes... back to the Father... where you tell him about your feelings and ask Him to work in you to let go of the anger...

Alate_One

Sigh. Have you read this thread???
Yes and did a word search on hate. The support for hating PEOPLE is very limited.

Hate and love are not mutually exclusive!
You can't hate and love someone at the same time . . . .

Love can be a good thing or a bad thing.
Save if you love evil, when is it a bad thing? Love is one of the fruit of the spirit . . . hate isn't.

Hate can be a good thing or a bad thing.
When is hating a PERSON a good thing? I don't disagree there are things and actions to hate.

Breathe

I didn't realize there was two different Gods?? :dizzy:

Jesus is God, is He not? The Holy Spirit is God, correct? Both are love - is this not so? The NT emphasis is mainly on Jesus and the Holy Spirit, right? So the NT God is a God of love, imo.

You must like to pick at the n00bs, huh? ;)

If I need to clarify further, I will. When reading the NT, I have noticed that there is a much greater emphasis on the love of God than on hatred and violence. To me, it paints the three aspects of God in a much more positive light than the OT paints Yahweh.

lucy

I think the object of your "hate" determines if it is sinful or not. Hate comes from anger and anger from some feeling of injustice. Scripture tells us we are to "be angry" and sin not. I take that to mean, ok, yeah, you can't help feeling angry at somebody, but we aren't to take that a step further and get revenge or harbor hate in our hearts because that ends up being unforgiveness. Remember too, the scripture that tells us, in 1st John, I think - somebody help me out here, I don't have my bible with me... but I believe it says "how can say you love God whom you have not seen if you hate your brother whom you have seen" or something like that. Of course it is speaking of another Christian here but I think it still applies because all men are created in God's image and to hate the image of God doesn't seem too sound to me.

If we hate that somebody murdered a family member for example, we MUST forgive them first and foremost, because God in Christ forgave us, and secondly because hatred destroys the one who hates - it is a deep seated resentment, unforgiveness deep in the heart. This is not acceptable.

If we "hate" nasty weather, or we "hate" murder in itself, or we "hate" unjustice, terrorism, etc..I don't see a problem with that. I think it has to do with "being angry and sinning not"....

We really may need to define what we mean by"hate" here. Hate that leads to inner turmoil and thoughts of revenge or inner bitterness is not condoned anywhere in scripture.

Last edited:

Charity

When you hate the action and not the actor you neuter any possible good that could come from your righteous indignation.

I hate men who rape and murder little girls. Do you hate them? Or do you just hate their crime? Should we jail and punish criminals? Or jail and punish crimes? (whatever that might mean)

God does not distinguish the actions from the actor. God says...

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.
thinking...
how do you feel about war? killing little girls an boys in there beds, for so as he thinks in his heart is the Nation he controls to go of an commit murder, if God is not able to distinguish the actions of the actor, how dose a godly Nation justify themselves individually apart from duty, how do we stop hating a Nation of people for there past actions, like just getting up in the morning an yep...you can hate that person just for where they live, there color an the blood that runs in there veins that came from there nasty fathers.
its funny that Hitler carried his mark of being the instigator of his ruthless army, technecs... cruel style of execution would reveal a Nature long time tormented, an on going retaliation
physical excursions...secretly, taking control over the mentality an counting the minds that are reproducing fast towards their religious beliefs, their retaliations cause great despair ... hate strengthens, where each negotiation has failed amongst high powered leaders..that they then resort to the whole arm of power as a god of final judgment...

Do you think enforcing Judgment with charming manners, with out torture, but still destroying life could be resembled to a more exceptable an more righteous way to hate?

TeeJay

I can't stand people who hate.

And God hates those who do not hate with righteous indignation.

HATE THE SIN BUT LOVE THE SINNER:
“Hate the sin but love the sinner” is probably the most quoted Bible verse next to “Judge not.” Even unbelievers know these verses. But, and this is a big but, “Hate the sin but love the sinner” is not to be found in God’s word. This quote comes from Hindu teaching and was first said by Mahatma Gandhi. Gandhi was a fool and is now in Hell awaiting judgment. We Christians should not look to him for wisdom.

Ambassadors for Christ

Paul warns us that we are “ambassadors for Jesus Christ.” If we are to represent Him, then we should present the true Jesus Christ and not a Christ we think He should be. When we read Jesus’ “Woe to you Pharisees” rebuke, we should know that we are not dealing with a Barney Fife. When we read Jesus saying, “Bring those enemies of mine here before Me and slay them with the sword,” we should fear and know that He is not lopping off the sin. He’s lopping off heads!

Love and Hate

God gave us the free will to either love Him or hate Him. One can’t have the will to love without also having the will to hate. Does not God also have free will—to love or hate? God could have created robots with no ability to choose. But then love would be meaningless. I value my wife’s love because she is free to love another. But, she chose me.

Does God Hate?

God’s word says that you can’t separate man from his sin (except through Jesus Christ): “As a man thinks in His heart, so is he” (Prov. 23:7). And God hates the sin before it’s committed. Contrary to what Gandhi believes, God hates the wicked. Let’s look at a few of God’s scriptures:

“God hates all workers of iniquity” (Ps. 5:5).

“The Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man” (Ps. 5:6).

“The wicked and the one who loves violence [God] hates” (Ps. 11:5).

“The face of the Lord is against those who do evil” (Ps. 34:16).

“God loves righteousness and hates wickedness” (Ps. 45:7)

“The Lord hates a heart that devises wicked plans, a false witness, one who sows discord among the brethren” (Prov. 6:16-19).

God reminds us, “All wickedness is in Gilgal, for there I hated them. Because of the evil of their deeds I will drive them from My house; I will love them no more” (Ho. 9:13).

And Moses wrote of God: If you do not obey Me, “My soul shall abhor you” (Lev. 26:27-30).

But That Was the Old Testament

Some Christians today think that God was a mean old God in the Old Testament, but then He went to Government Sensitivity Training and became nice in the New Testament. And Christians today are trying to be nicer than God. But the word nice is not in the Bible. Christians should never ponder as to what Jesus would say or do. Rather we should read our Bibles and see what He actually said and did.

Jesus was the Rock of offence. John the Baptist, having a bad day, sent his disciples to Jesus to ask, “Are you the Christ or should we look for another?” Jesus said, “Tell John that the lame walk, the blind see, and many are offended.” When the Pharisees asked Jesus, “By what authority do you do these things?”, He refused to answer their question. Realize also that the answer to their question was salvation. He withheld it from them because their hearts were hard. When His disciples said that the Pharisees were offended, He said, “Leave them alone. They are the blind leading the blind. . .” When He came walking on the water to His apostles in the boat, Scripture says that “He would have walked on by them” because they deemed Him to be a spirit. They did not believe that Jesus could walk on water (after seeing all His miracles). He purposely offended His disciples when He said, “Drink my blood and eat my flesh.” He was telling them that for centuries they were eating the Passover lamb and He was the true Passover Lamb. His parables were turned road signs to confuse hard hearts. When the Pharisees walked away confused, He left them in their confused state. If they asked Him to explain a parable, He explained. His word was for “those with ears to hear and eyes to see.” He called Gentiles “dogs” and “swine.”

Hypocritical Love

What is hypocritical love? The Bible answer is, “Should you love those who hate the Lord? Therefore the wrath of the Lord is upon you” (2 Chr. 19:2). Warning the wicked of the coming judgment is harsh, but is a necessary component of acceptable love. A love that is not hypocritical rebukes and condemns, and then points to Jesus Christ.

Paul also warns, “Let your love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil.” Love is a precious commodity that should not be squandered. The lips that profess love for God should not in the next breath profess love for an unrepentant homosexual molester of young boys. This type of love profanes God: “You call good evil and evil good.” “You put those to death who should be kept alive and keep alive those who should be put to death.” If you love everybody, then your love becomes meaningless. If we gave the Medal of Honor to all soldiers, then it would no longer merit a salute.

Cliches

“Hate the sin but love the sinner” is a cliché. Cliches should not take precedent over God’s word. But, sadly, they do.

“Hate the sin but love the sinner” hinders the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This cliché is used mostly when referring to homosexuals. For some unfathomable reason, Christians, in their effort not to offend, refuse to warn the homosexual that he is a pervert who is going to hell unless he repents of his sin. Instead, we lead him to believe that God loves him and only hates his sin. If we have the cure for cancer, it does no good unless we first convince a person that he has cancer and is going to die.

God bless, Tom from Mabank, TX

lucy

And God hates those who do not hate with righteous indignation.

HATE THE SIN BUT LOVE THE SINNER:
“Hate the sin but love the sinner” is probably the most quoted Bible verse next to “Judge not.” Even unbelievers know these verses. But, and this is a big but, “Hate the sin but love the sinner” is not to be found in God’s word. This quote comes from Hindu teaching and was first said by Mahatma Gandhi. Gandhi was a fool and is now in Hell awaiting judgment. We Christians should not look to him for wisdom.

Ambassadors for Christ

Paul warns us that we are “ambassadors for Jesus Christ.” If we are to represent Him, then we should present the true Jesus Christ and not a Christ we think He should be. When we read Jesus’ “Woe to you Pharisees” rebuke, we should know that we are not dealing with a Barney Fife. When we read Jesus saying, “Bring those enemies of mine here before Me and slay them with the sword,” we should fear and know that He is not lopping off the sin. He’s lopping off heads!

Love and Hate

God gave us the free will to either love Him or hate Him. One can’t have the will to love without also having the will to hate. Does not God also have free will—to love or hate? God could have created robots with no ability to choose. But then love would be meaningless. I value my wife’s love because she is free to love another. But, she chose me.

Does God Hate?

God’s word says that you can’t separate man from his sin (except through Jesus Christ): “As a man thinks in His heart, so is he” (Prov. 23:7). And God hates the sin before it’s committed. Contrary to what Gandhi believes, God hates the wicked. Let’s look at a few of God’s scriptures:

“God hates all workers of iniquity” (Ps. 5:5).

“The Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man” (Ps. 5:6).

“The wicked and the one who loves violence [God] hates” (Ps. 11:5).

“The face of the Lord is against those who do evil” (Ps. 34:16).

“God loves righteousness and hates wickedness” (Ps. 45:7)

“The Lord hates a heart that devises wicked plans, a false witness, one who sows discord among the brethren” (Prov. 6:16-19).

God reminds us, “All wickedness is in Gilgal, for there I hated them. Because of the evil of their deeds I will drive them from My house; I will love them no more” (Ho. 9:13).

And Moses wrote of God: If you do not obey Me, “My soul shall abhor you” (Lev. 26:27-30).

But That Was the Old Testament

Some Christians today think that God was a mean old God in the Old Testament, but then He went to Government Sensitivity Training and became nice in the New Testament. And Christians today are trying to be nicer than God. But the word nice is not in the Bible. Christians should never ponder as to what Jesus would say or do. Rather we should read our Bibles and see what He actually said and did.

Jesus was the Rock of offence. John the Baptist, having a bad day, sent his disciples to Jesus to ask, “Are you the Christ or should we look for another?” Jesus said, “Tell John that the lame walk, the blind see, and many are offended.” When the Pharisees asked Jesus, “By what authority do you do these things?”, He refused to answer their question. Realize also that the answer to their question was salvation. He withheld it from them because their hearts were hard. When His disciples said that the Pharisees were offended, He said, “Leave them alone. They are the blind leading the blind. . .” When He came walking on the water to His apostles in the boat, Scripture says that “He would have walked on by them” because they deemed Him to be a spirit. They did not believe that Jesus could walk on water (after seeing all His miracles). He purposely offended His disciples when He said, “Drink my blood and eat my flesh.” He was telling them that for centuries they were eating the Passover lamb and He was the true Passover Lamb. His parables were turned road signs to confuse hard hearts. When the Pharisees walked away confused, He left them in their confused state. If they asked Him to explain a parable, He explained. His word was for “those with ears to hear and eyes to see.” He called Gentiles “dogs” and “swine.”

Hypocritical Love

What is hypocritical love? The Bible answer is, “Should you love those who hate the Lord? Therefore the wrath of the Lord is upon you” (2 Chr. 19:2). Warning the wicked of the coming judgment is harsh, but is a necessary component of acceptable love. A love that is not hypocritical rebukes and condemns, and then points to Jesus Christ.

Paul also warns, “Let your love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil.” Love is a precious commodity that should not be squandered. The lips that profess love for God should not in the next breath profess love for an unrepentant homosexual molester of young boys. This type of love profanes God: “You call good evil and evil good.” “You put those to death who should be kept alive and keep alive those who should be put to death.” If you love everybody, then your love becomes meaningless. If we gave the Medal of Honor to all soldiers, then it would no longer merit a salute.

Cliches

“Hate the sin but love the sinner” is a cliché. Cliches should not take precedent over God’s word. But, sadly, they do.

“Hate the sin but love the sinner” hinders the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This cliché is used mostly when referring to homosexuals. For some unfathomable reason, Christians, in their effort not to offend, refuse to warn the homosexual that he is a pervert who is going to hell unless he repents of his sin. Instead, we lead him to believe that God loves him and only hates his sin. If we have the cure for cancer, it does no good unless we first convince a person that he has cancer and is going to die.

God bless, Tom from Mabank, TX

Lots of OT quotes. You know, IMO, the OT scriptures about hating this group and that group are examples of hyperbole. I know I will get jumped on for that, but, think about the history in the OT. The Israelites were continually following the examples of the pagans around them (no offense to you modern day pagans - the OT pagans were sacrificing their infants to stone idols, etc.) They were also abusing their own Jewish brethren by taking advantage of the widows and the poor among them, stealing, coveting, worshiping false gods along with the true God, etc. In the NT, the Pharisees were just following along with the OT scoundrels, except for worshiping idols (they were idolaters but worshiped their positions, not a stone or wooden idol). Jesus remember, was the last "official" OT prophet, as well as the Messiah. This is how the prophets of old spoke. Yes, they were blunt. But you don't see Jesus telling his disciples at the ascension that they are to run around talking like this and hating their enemies. He tells them to hot-foot it out of town if they are persecuted or in danger. He tells them to love their enemies and pray for them that persecute them. It's not that God is a split personality or something, it's just the difference in the form of speech for the Prophet of God vs the Disciples of God. Just food for thought...

lucy

Here's another thought; you meet a person you know is a practicing homosexual and you want to tell him about salvation in Christ. Should you say to him, "You know, God and I hate you because you are a practicing homosexual, and you are going to hell for sure, but Christ died for you because "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"...

Hmmmm. See what I mean? We should tell the person the truth, but you have to find some way of doing it that is not contradictory to the message you are trying to present. You can't tell him God hates him and loves him at the same time. If as Calvinism says, he happens to be of the Elect and just hasn't been hit over the head yet and seen the lightbulb of revelation that he's elect yet, and you hate him, then you are hating one of the Elect. If you are an Arminian, and you hate the guy and spit out loathing and hatred at him and then try to present a gospel of love and forgiveness, is he going to believe you? I don't know. There is a problem here.

Third Way

it seems pretty clear there is indeed a time to hate.

There was indeed a time to hate, and that time ended at Calvary.
Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you. bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. (Lk 6:27-28)

Status
Not open for further replies.