toldailytopic: Is it wrong to hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd be very careful before to applying that sort of emotion to a human being because I know my limited falliability. I certainly hate and reject evil, but hating a person isn't as easy.

You don't think the emotions God programmed you with are accurate? That is possible, for everyone. Luckily, he told us where to direct that anger.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, maybe I'm saying that you might feel justified to hate someone, whereas I don't. Perhaps I'm just the weaker brother in this case.:idunno:

Religiously weaker, perhaps. However, IMO, your inability to hate makes you a better person.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hate means always having to say "You're sorry!" :plain:

:drum:

Okay, I wouldn't say it's wrong, but I'd wonder at what it accomplishes and suggest that outside of God it tends to lead to a sense of being better than instead of more fortunate than, which begs for complication.

Oh, and David also slept with another man's wife. So we might not be bound by his example in all things.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Oh, and David also slept with another man's wife. So we might not be bound by his example in all things.
That's true but there is nothing in the context to suggest that what David was saying or feeling about hate was wrong, in fact just the opposite seems to be true.

Couple that with all the other references to hate being appropriate in certain circumstances and it seems pretty clear there is indeed a time to hate.

Ecumenicist

Hate means always having to say "You're sorry!" :plain:

:drum:

Okay, I wouldn't say it's wrong, but I'd wonder at what it accomplishes and suggest that outside of God it tends to lead to a sense of being better than instead of more fortunate than, which begs for complication.

Here's an example to consider: An addict, from a family or culture of people who are addicts, needs to reject his/her family and friends in order to find recovery. That doesn't mean emotional loathing, it means admitting weakness and rejecting the life / lifestyle that plays to that weakness.

In that sense, "hate" is actually an act of humility, admitting one's human fallibility and making decisions to "hate" or reject based on that fallibility.

Four O'Clock

The following verse seems to be a rather clear teaching on the subject....

A time to love, And a time to hate; A time of war, And a time of peace. - Ecclesiastes 3:8

One of The Byrds classics K....:eek:

I used to tease my friends years ago saying Turn,Turn,Turn was THE only rock & roll song written by God...

Trumpetfolker

Lu 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate <3404> not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
*If to hate means to reject every aspect of another person, and,
*If one aspect of the other person is hatred, then,
You have a double negative.
In that case, we can understand why Jesus said to do good to those who hate you rather than to love those who hate you. You must hate haters by doing good to them.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's true but there is nothing in the context to suggest that what David was saying or feeling about hate was wrong, in fact just the opposite seems to be true.

Couple that with all the other references to hate being appropriate in certain circumstances and it seems pretty clear there is indeed a time to hate.

As I just said to Dave in an aside, I suspect this is a contextual sort of problem. Sometimes it's wholly appropriate and other times a sign of vanity and/or pride. That said, I think we learn much more from love than we ever will from hate and the whole of Christendom is founded in Christ's sacrifice as an affirmation of that in its perfection.

Son of Jack

That said, I think we learn much more from love than we ever will from hate and the whole of Christendom is founded in Christ's sacrifice as an affirmation of that in its perfection.

I'd add that the desire to love accords with the words of Christ found in Matthew 22:37-40.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As I just said to Dave in an aside, I suspect this is a contextual sort of problem. Sometimes it's wholly appropriate and other times a sign of vanity and/or pride. That said, I think we learn much more from love than we ever will from hate and the whole of Christendom is founded in Christ's sacrifice as an affirmation of that in its perfection.
I think you make some great points, but it still seems to me that you haven't fully considered that love and hate are not equal opposites. In fact, sometimes hate is the most loving thing you can give to a wicked person. Hate is the ultimate rebuke which David described as "perfect".

It seems that we learn in the Bible that just like love, hate can be good or bad, depending on the motivation.

Here David mentions hate dispensed in a bad way...

Psalms 25:19 Consider my enemies, for they are many; And they hate me with cruel hatred.

Psalms 38:19 But my enemies are vigorous, and they are strong; And those who hate me wrongfully have multiplied.

Ecumenicist

Knight: "Stay thirsty my friend."

TH: Context is everything.

If you think about it, don't we most often hate that which is a reflection
of our own weaknesses?

In humility, we can recognize that and reject the temptation that preys on our
weaknesses.

Charity

dose one just get out of bed one morning an begin hating some one?
Hate is agitation; the individual elements, fear an Jealousy, as a hole in a casting....self perception evaluates, using awareness of the characteristics that constitute one's self.
charmers have always gained power, while the emotionally clueless play powerless reactors an are seen retaliating, often observed as the problem ....to be disciplined then by cousin contempt....

charity

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
dose one just get out of bed one morning an begin hating some one?
Hate is agitation; the individual elements, fear an Jealousy, as a hole in a casting....self perception evaluates, using awareness of the characteristics that constitute one's self.
charmers have always gained power, while the emotionally clueless play powerless reactors an are seen retaliating, often observed as the problem ....to be disciplined then by cousin contempt....

charity

I agree sugaro, hate is a waste. I hate no one; I do hate some ideas I find absolutely despicable, not the thinker, rathah the evil of the original poisoned mind.

Thunder's Muse

Someone once told me that you can't truly hate something unless you first truly loved it.

I think hate can mean different things.

I hate depression. I hate the lifestyle I used to live.

But I also hated other people and it drove me to the brink of insanity. I once hated myself, with much the same result.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you think about it, don't we most often hate that which is a reflection
of our own weaknesses?
Dave, does God's word mean anything to you? Anything at all?

I just don't get why somebody who calls themselves a Christan so often rejects the plain teachings we find in the Bible.

I have made a very clear case that there are times when it is good to hate and also times when it is wrong. I have given rock-solid biblical support for my position. The very least you could do is say... "hmm, I guess I should consider this."

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I agree sugaro, hate is a waste. I hate no one; I do hate some ideas I find absolutely despicable, not the thinker, rathah the evil of the original poisoned mind.
When you hate the action and not the actor you neuter any possible good that could come from your righteous indignation.

I hate men who rape and murder little girls. Do you hate them? Or do you just hate their crime? Should we jail and punish criminals? Or jail and punish crimes? (whatever that might mean)

God does not distinguish the actions from the actor. God says...

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.

Status
Not open for further replies.